Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-26, 13:26:
Both of these are Coppermines. […]
Show full quote
bassix6 wrote on 2022-03-26, 10:09:
I made some pictures this morning: […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-25, 19:44:

What are the exact part numbers of your CPUs?

Btw, the CPUs may be good, I've had odd issues when the HSF (CPU cooler) was not installed properly.

Could you post some pics of the board and of the CPU cooler you're using?

I made some pictures this morning:

IMG-0726.jpg IMG-0727.jpg

IMG-0728.jpg IMG-0729.jpg

Both of these are Coppermines.

On the first pic
https://postlmg.cc/ph8KFHsF
your heatsink seems to be incorrectly installed. It's angled somehow, but should be absolutely horizontal.
This might explain your symptoms if this causes the heatsink not touching the CPU die or IHS correctly, causing the system to not boot since the CPUs overheat.

Can you make absolutely sure you installed the heatsink correctly? It should be absolutely level like 180 degrees when compared to the CPUs and from the top should look like it angles perfectly with the CPU socket.

I edited your original pic to include a blue and a purple line at the underside of the CPU socket, you'll need to zoom in a little to see them but then you will see what I meant.

I attached the heatsink correctly, but still no signal. I'm now afraid I may have wrecked two CPU's by performing a start for a few seconds without a Heatsink, just to see if it would boot

Reply 21 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bassix6 wrote on 2022-03-26, 14:17:
Show full quote
bassix6 wrote on 2022-03-26, 10:09:
I made some pictures this morning: […]
Show full quote

I made some pictures this morning:

IMG-0726.jpg IMG-0727.jpg

IMG-0728.jpg IMG-0729.jpg

On the first pic
your heatsink seems to be incorrectly installed. It's angled somehow, but should be absolutely horizontal.
This might explain your symptoms if this causes the heatsink not touching the CPU die or IHS correctly, causing the system to not boot since the CPUs overheat.

Can you make absolutely sure you installed the heatsink correctly? It should be absolutely level like 180 degrees when compared to the CPUs and from the top should look like it angles perfectly with the CPU socket.

I edited your original pic to include a blue and a purple line at the underside of the CPU socket, you'll need to zoom in a little to see them but then you will see what I meant.

I attached the heatsink correctly, but still no signal. I'm now afraid I may have wrecked two CPU's by performing a start for a few seconds without a Heatsink, just to see if it would boot

This is possible, but chances are still fairly good your CPUs are not dead.
Never boot without a heatsink on the CPU unless you know what you are doing.

Anyway, why was your heatsink skewed compared to your CPU socket anyway? Because I can tell from the pic that something should be wrong. It seems it is latched onto the CPU socket? But then if installed correctly it shouldn't be skewed anyhow so this doesn't make sense to me.
The fan is not screwed onto the heatsink either? I guess you were trying out things to try and get the board to work?

Do keep in mind that it's better to not try and rush things here. I've literally broken parts because I got impatient and started rushing things which led to me getting sloppy and making silly mistakes.

Btw, for testing Coppermine boards I always use some lower clocked Coppermine-based 66MHz FSB Celeron. Same thing with memory, I use some crappy stick of 64MB for SDRAM for example (or some 128MB PC-133 one if I want to test 133MHZ FSB s370 CPUs).

Try testing with both AGP and PCI graphics cards if you haven't already, but I'd really want you to make sure you use a correctly installed CPU HSF before continuing troubleshooting.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 29, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-26, 14:31:
This is possible, but chances are still fairly good your CPUs are not dead. Never boot without a heatsink on the CPU unless you […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

On the first pic

Anyway, why was your heatsink skewed compared to your CPU socket anyway? Because I can tell from the pic that something should be wrong. It seems it is latched onto the CPU socket? But then if installed correctly it shouldn't be skewed anyhow so this doesn't make sense to me.
The fan is not screwed onto the heatsink either? I guess you were trying out things to try and get the board to work?

Do keep in mind that it's better to not try and rush things here. I've literally broken parts because I got impatient and started rushing things which led to me getting sloppy and making silly mistakes.

Btw, for testing Coppermine boards I always use some lower clocked Coppermine-based 66MHz FSB Celeron. Same thing with memory, I use some crappy stick of 64MB for SDRAM for example (or some 128MB PC-133 one if I want to test 133MHZ FSB s370 CPUs).

Try testing with both AGP and PCI graphics cards if you haven't already, but I'd really want you to make sure you use a correctly installed CPU HSF before continuing troubleshooting.

I've learned my lesson. I was indeed trying things out and didn't attach the heatsink and fan correctly. I think Installed them correctly now. The heatsink clicked into place with the notches. Still no signal or whatsoever 😒

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-26-at-3-51-03-PM.jpg Whats-App-Image-2022-03-26-at-3-51-04-PM.jpg

Reply 23 of 29, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't worry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MYYB9bl70
P3 and P4 automatically slow down, when they get too hot.

bassix6 wrote on 2022-03-26, 14:15:

Right now I'll try your suggestion of removing the battery for a longer period of time.

Yeah, do that. Pull the cable and try to start the computer by pressing the power button, to discharge the capacitors. Then remove the battery and wait 2 hours minimum. Or let it rest over night.
How about the RAM? Can you check that on another board?

bassix6 wrote on 2022-03-26, 14:15:

I bought the board from a local thrift shop site. It was declared to be working.

Inform them asap, that there is a problem with the board.
They have to take it back and refund you, if it arrived broken. EU law.

Reply 24 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bassix6 wrote on 2022-03-26, 14:58:
I've learned my lesson. I was indeed trying things out and didn't attach the heatsink and fan correctly. I think Installed them […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-26, 14:31:
This is possible, but chances are still fairly good your CPUs are not dead. Never boot without a heatsink on the CPU unless you […]
Show full quote

I've learned my lesson. I was indeed trying things out and didn't attach the heatsink and fan correctly. I think Installed them correctly now. The heatsink clicked into place with the notches. Still no signal or whatsoever 😒

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-26-at-3-51-03-PM.jpg Whats-App-Image-2022-03-26-at-3-51-04-PM.jpg

Nice, that's one potential hurdle cleared, and I see another potential one.

On the pic, the board is not fastened in correctly at the (hopefully better visible) bright pink circles to the left. It's not seated properly on the case standoffs and this may cause a short which will prevent the board from booting.
I could spot 2 such spots, directly below the PSU and somewhere to the left but more at the bottom of the pic.

I'd advice you to take the board out completely and test it on a bench (or table or better a cardboard motherboard box). For all we know there might be a loose screw between the motherboard and the motherboard tray causing additional shorts.

Attachments

Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So here's an explanation of what I think might have happened with the heatsink and how to install it correctly.
This is actually quite a common mistake for people who aren't familiar with this type of CPU socket or sometimes people who were not paying enough attention.

To the left a schematic picture of the correct orientation. Everything should look level.
To the right the incorrect orientation. Everything will look a bit off and the heatsink will not make good contact with the top of the CPU, causing the CPU to overheat (and sometimes this will cause the CPU die to chip, which may ruin the CPU).

I purposefully omitted drawing in a CPU since this is much clearer now and will serve its primary function, which is to get the point across.

As we can see, you installed the heatsink correctly, as marked by the bright pink line showing it's parallel to the CPU socket ☺.

Attachments

Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also make sure your memory is PC-133 (because of your CPUs also being FSB 133MHz) and is in working condition, in case you haven't tried swapping out memory at this time.

Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 29, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kinda running out of ideas at the moment, as I still don't get a signal out of the mobo. I tried these two sticks of RAM, both working at 133 MHZ if I'm not mistaken. I tried them at several slots, but alas no result.

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-5.jpg Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-6.jpg

I've also fiddled with the jumpers to match them with the 133 mhz CPU, but that didn't do anything as well.

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-3.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-2.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-4.jpg

Reply 28 of 29, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bassix6 wrote on 2022-03-27, 09:40:
Kinda running out of ideas at the moment, as I still don't get a signal out of the mobo. I tried these two sticks of RAM, both w […]
Show full quote

Kinda running out of ideas at the moment, as I still don't get a signal out of the mobo. I tried these two sticks of RAM, both working at 133 MHZ if I'm not mistaken. I tried them at several slots, but alas no result.

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-5.jpg Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-6.jpg

I've also fiddled with the jumpers to match them with the 133 mhz CPU, but that didn't do anything as well.

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-3.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-2.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-03-27-at-11-35-01-AM-4.jpg

Any Chance to get a lower p3? Like a 600 and with FSB 100?

Reply 29 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only additional thing I can think of now is indeed try with a different CPU (since both existing ones may be compromised).
Remove the coin cell battery and leave it for a night (it's what I do even though I understood a couple minutes may be enough, I just want to be sure).

What I find somewhat odd is that apparently both your CPUs are giving a different result, one being beep codes and another no beep codes at all?

What happens in all different situations? Do you get any beeps or never any beeps, do the fans start spinning and keep spinning or do the fans start spinning and after a bit they stop again? Or do the fans twitch once you press the power switch?

Have you tried without any RAM?

Make sure you doublechecked every single jumper setting. It's easy to overlook an important one (check the manual).

Try using a flowchart like for instance one like this one https://www.fonerbooks.com/cpu_ram.htm or this http://www.fixingmycomputer.com/flowcharts/mo … hoot-chart.html

Report spammers here!