VOGONS

disk imaging software

Topic actions

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If no one has told you it behooves you to treat old disks with the utmost caution. This translates to don't spend anymore time reading it then is absolutely necessary. Sometimes you only get 1 read, if that. Trust me.

Now given you don't know the file structure of the disk, other then by reading off it, DON'T DO IT, the most efficient approach is to hit it with a disk imaging program. Which lends it self to some inefficiency, as most or some imaging programs don't have a format that can be perused other then by writing the image to a blank floppy. But at least hopefully you've saved the contents.

So what have you been using?

Reply 1 of 3, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First read is always with IMD 1.18. Saves an image of any type of disk, GCR notwithstanding

Reply 2 of 3, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-29, 23:42:

Sometimes you only get 1 read, if that. Trust me.

Yep - first read is always to take an image. Finally got around to imaging a set of Visual Basic 3.0 Professional Edition floppies the other day which had been waiting far too long. All disks had read errors though with some effort I managed to successfully image all but disk 6. I hit read read errors on a few tracks towards the end that no amount of retrying would get past. Once I was done the disk was no longer readable by either Windows or WinImage - both complained there was no disk in the drive.

Thankfully other people have broken the rules and uploaded disk images to certain websites. So I was able to grab someone elses disk image, diff all the files and replace the one damaged file in my disk image with a good copy.

I use WinImage (a registered copy!) - IIRC 6.4 on Windows 3.11 and whatever the current version is on my Windows 10 machine. I used to have an LS-120 drive which was wonderful for problematic disks - whenever I couldn't image a disk successfully on a normal floppy drive the LS-120 would almost always succeed. Sadly feeding the LS-120 drive only the worst disks means the heads eventually got dirty and the only way to clean them is with a special cleaning disk I've never even seen before. Really must get around to buying a fresh drive.

Reply 3 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For most disks use Winimage on a good older OS box. For very old/odd 180k/360k use a CopyIIPC card in the 486 box but have not had to do that much for many years. Image Disk is a good DOS alternative to Winimage as Max said.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun