VOGONS

First post, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a pretty neat 486 board here. Built in 1991, it uses a Zymos POACH chipset (designed for 286 systems) grafted to a 486 processor and cache with the help of a bunch of PAL/GALs and discreet logic.

My issue with it is that despite using an ET4000AX card which will manage >4MB/sec on a 286 system, I'm only able to get about ~2MB/sec throughput to video memory. This cripples an otherwise awesome board for gaming performance. So I am on a quest to improve the situation.

The POACH, being a 286 chipset, is designed to run at wire speed and does not offer any type of bus wait states or recovery cycles. Therefore, I can assume that the bus slowness is a factor of something in the glue logic. So far after conducting a brief survey of the components, the only thing that stands out at me is this: a Dallas DS1000-50 silicon delay line. I can't really think of another good reason for this to be present, so I'm considering removing it and shorting the input to the tap. Thoughts?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 44, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow yeah that is a shit load of logic for a 486 board. Are you sure the ISA bus is working at 8Mhz ? It should be but never know....
Have you followed where each Delay TAP goes ? You could try shorting between a previous TAP and another TAP that leads somehow to an ISA slot.
Shorting the whole thing could make the system very unstable imho. added: each tap drops 10nS from the input clock if I read the datasheet proper.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've verified the ISA bus is running at 8MHz by sticking a scope on the clock pin in the slot.

I haven't really poked around the delay line chip at all yet, to see which taps are being used or where they go. Decided to make a thread first just in case someone said "no retard that delay line is for XYZ leave it alone"

Reply 3 of 44, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its most likely for the ram and screwing with it will not do anything useful
stick the scope on ISA bus while running VIDSPEED.EXE

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-04-03, 10:53:

I've already monitored the ISA clock while flogging the system with various form of video test software. The clock does not modulate

Reply 5 of 44, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-02, 19:48:

I've got a pretty neat 486 board here. Built in 1991, it uses a Zymos POACH chipset (designed for 286 systems) grafted to a 486 processor and cache with the help of a bunch of PAL/GALs and discreet logic.

Zymos POACH chipset ? Never heard of it before.
Is that the name for the intel N82230& N82231 combo?
Have you tried using the old AMISETUP program to tweak hidden bios settings/timings ?

Also, a max of 4MB of ram with 16 30p simm slots. That's nice & yucky at the same time 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 44, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-03, 12:08:
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-04-03, 10:53:

I've already monitored the ISA clock while flogging the system with various form of video test software. The clock does not modulate

not the clock, check how many cycles read/write strobes last, and how many cycles they repeat. Normal ISA read/write takes 4 cycles with r/w strobe lasting 1 clock cycle.

This would be an impressive early 486 board, if not for the fact its from December 1990 or later (9052 datecode on one of the jellybin chips), >1.5 years after 486 release. This makes it impressively outdated design still being manufactured despite obvious drawbacks and lack of cost optimization 😮.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2022-04-03, 12:50:

Yes, intel bought the rights from Zymos

Have you tried using the old AMISETUP program to tweak hidden bios settings/timings ?

No because I seriously doubt this will bear fruit. This is the 1990 pre-color AMIBIOS, same as you'd see on a 286. The chipset also has no configuration registers at all. There are "additional" BIOS settings to enable/disable the cache and enable/disable ROM shadow, so perhaps there are other configuration bits exposed at an IO port that are implemented in a PAL/GAL though.

Also, a max of 4MB of ram with 16 30p simm slots. That's nice & yucky at the same time 😀

I have 16MB in there now (16 1MB sticks)

Last edited by maxtherabbit on 2022-04-03, 19:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-04-03, 13:40:

not the clock, check how many cycles read/write strobes last, and how many cycles they repeat. Normal ISA read/write takes 4 cycles with r/w strobe lasting 1 clock cycle.

For what purpose? I'm willing to examine it if it will help the cause, but since I don't have a real logic probe it will be a pain to set up with just a 4ch scope.

Last edited by maxtherabbit on 2022-04-03, 19:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've attached a dump of the BIOS if anyone is interested to see for themselves

This would be an impressive early 486 board, if not for the fact its from December 1990 or later (9052 datecode on one of the jellybin chips), >1.5 years after 486 release. This makes it impressively outdated design still being manufactured despite obvious drawbacks and lack of cost optimization 😮.

I find its primitive design charming, that's why I'm investing the effort in a build around it

Attachments

• Filename
    AMI486.zip
    File size
    41.63 KiB
    Downloads
    28 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 44, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-03, 18:49:

Interesting, never knew that.

No because I seriously doubt this will bear fruit. This is the 1990 pre-color AMIBIOS, same as you'd see on a 286. The chipset also has no configuration registers at all. There are "additional" BIOS settings to enable/disable the cache and enable/disable ROM shadow, so perhaps there are other configuration bits exposed at an IO port that are implemented in a PAL/GAL though.

whatever goes for a datasheet, only 37 pages, does mention that IO and RAM waitstates can be altered, though no mention of how exactly to change them. default 1 for ram, 4 for IO.

edit: maybe the info can be found in the "Intel 286EX Application Note", though good luck finding that 😒

I have 16MB in there now (16 1MB sticks)

and again I let myself get tricked by the datasheet mentioning 4Mb Ram refresh and thinking it applies to 4MB, urgh
oh well. thanks for the correction!

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 11 of 44, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-03, 18:51:

For what purpose? I'm willing to examine it if it will help the cause, but since I don't have a real logic probe it will be a pain to set up with just a 4ch scope.

as long as its a storage scope even 2 channels are fine. Grab Clock and one of the R/W strobes, count cycles during long read/write, this will let you see where the slowness comes from (rarer transactions or artificial waitstates) http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~rison/ee352_fall09/PC104timing.pdf

weedeewee wrote on 2022-04-03, 19:25:

whatever goes for a datasheet, only 37 pages, does mention that IO and RAM waitstates can be altered, though no mention of how exactly to change them. default 1 for ram, 4 for IO.

4 waitstates would make every transfer take 8 cycles = half the throughput like you are seeing.

Reply 12 of 44, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You said your et4000 got 4mb/sec on your 286. What speed are the isa slots running at in that setup?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-04-04, 02:59:

You said your et4000 got 4mb/sec on your 286. What speed are the isa slots running at in that setup?

10MHz

Yes it's faster, no that doesn't explain the situation. All ISA cards I've tried vastly underpeform on this board. Doom scores are way below par for a 486-33 despite good memory and cache numbers in speedsys

Reply 14 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-04-04, 02:28:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-03, 18:51:

as long as its a storage scope even 2 channels are fine. Grab Clock and one of the R/W strobes, count cycles during long read/write, this will let you see where the slowness comes from (rarer transactions or artificial waitstates) http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~rison/ee352_fall09/PC104timing.pdf

I see what you're after. Based on the observed behavior, I'm almost certain the answer is "rarer transactions" but I will verify to be sure. My gut is telling me the glue logic is forcing 3 cycles of the 33MHz processor clock in I/O recovery time.

weedeewee wrote on 2022-04-03, 19:25:

4 waitstates would make every transfer take 8 cycles = half the throughput like you are seeing.

The way I read that part of the datasheet is with the understanding that all AT-bus derivative systems can "alter" the number of inserted waitstates in the same fashion - through assertions of 0WS# and IOCHRDY

Last edited by maxtherabbit on 2022-04-04, 03:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found the board on Ultimate Retro
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/6702

Unfortunately the listing doesn't offer any documentation. The DIP switch for the memory size does seem to conform to this similar listing, with the exception of the absence of the SW1/5 switch and the associated memory configurations involving 4MB SIMMs.
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/3382

I'm really starting to get curious about the unpopulated DIP-16 footprint below the memory size switch bank. Perhaps this was intended for another DIP switch bank controlling additional configuration options in hardware?

Reply 16 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You absolutely sure of that?

I only know Zymos as a bottom-feeding chipset relabeler; just lke PC Chips later would, they just slapped their name on other peoples' silicon. I have (or had, not 100% sure if it's still here) an ISA VGA card with "Zymos Poach 51 AA" chipset, which in fact is a Trident TVGA8800CS. If they slap the exact same name on an otherwise Intel chipset, I'd be sceptical of them being the original designers...

Last edited by dionb on 2022-04-04, 10:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 44, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-04, 03:19:

I see what you're after. Based on the observed behavior, I'm almost certain the answer is "rarer transactions" but I will verify to be sure. My gut is telling me the glue logic is forcing 3 cycles of the 33MHz processor clock in I/O recovery time.

By that do you mean that there is a period of dead time in between the (otherwise normal length) ISA bus cycles?

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 18 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-04-04, 06:04:

You absolutely sure of that?

I only know Zymos as a bottom-feeding chipset relabeler; just lke PC Chips later would, they just slapped their name on other peoples' silicon. I have (or had, not 100% sure if it's still here) an ISA VGA card with "Zymos Poach 51 AA" chipset, which in fact is a Trident TVGA8800CS. If they slap the exact same name on an otherwise Intel chipset, I'd be sceptical of them being the original designers...

I guess I can't say I am "absolutely" sure, but the intel branded POACH chips say copyright zymos on them, you can see for yourself in the picture in the OP

Reply 19 of 44, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote on 2022-04-04, 09:52:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-04, 03:19:

By that do you mean that there is a period of dead time in between the (otherwise normal length) ISA bus cycles?

Yes. At least that is my operating assumption, I need to verify with the scope.