VOGONS

First post, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, having a serious problem with this if anyone can help or advise please.

I've had this monitor over a year, bought new (NOS) and perfect, no problems, and I love it (not literally ha)

Display would start going green, move the cable, back to normal, now that's done, no signal, the connection within the cable towards the VGS plug has gone, and now no picture.

Unfornately and very annoyingly, the VGA cable goes into the monitor, I assume soldered, I am far from competent with CRTs and soldering irons, but know a TV repair guy, may be able to get it open, but would it be a matter of just resolderiong a new cable to the PCB, or would there be a way to cut the end cable off, somehow wire into anther VGA input, or some other method at all?

I dread going to LCD with ghosting and smooth/blocky DOS Doom!! Please help!!!

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor

Reply 1 of 2, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all, based darkplace enthusiast.

Secondly, you can either desolder the cable and replace it with another one (using mini coax, please) or you can kludge together a female DE-15 into the monitor case, cut off the existing cable inside amd solder it directly to the back of the jack

Reply 2 of 2, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This place was dark, damn dark. Hence Darkplace.

Well hopefully the guy who repaired my CRT TV a few weeks ago can do this job, as that's completely out of my expertise, which is zero with soldering.

Was running 640x480 not but two hours ago at 160Hz, watching the 3DMark 99 Demo on my Voodoo 3. Hopefully it can be brought back, otherwise will have to source another CRT.

Damn expensive hobby.

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor