VOGONS

First post, by Fdiskitup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After several months of tinkering I have a HP RS/20 8mb 386 system that will post !
The HP museum online has a ton of documentation - circuit schematics, Software disks, which has been really helpful.

To get to this point i had to :
1, clean 30 years worth of grime off everything.
2, replace the oscillator crystal (Y2) 36kHz,
3, extracted the leads off an ATX psu from the 20 pin molex to fit on the in line 17 pin power header.
4, add a switch to set power header pin 1 to ground so it boots.
5, run setup from a floppy for the bios to set time, date, drives, ram size
6, replace the lithium cmos battery with 4xAA in a holder.

I can install dos on a floppy for boot, but now I need a hard drive.

The drive controller card is for ESDI drives, card type WD1007A-WA4 F000
2 flavours of this card exist with different ROMs :
F301R - will enable all types of esdi without modifying the system rom.
F300R - will only allow drive tables from systems rom bios.
Not sure which rom I have - paper label on the rom chip says 62-002067-031 (1988)

Edsi drives are expensive on ebay…
So, is there any type of CF adaptor that will mimic ESDI ?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by Fdiskitup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:
Firstly, I gave up on ESDI - perhaps one day a suitable drive will turn up.
Then i tried Xt-ide card with a CF card - worked well, still trying to program a rom to put in a network card. ..
But in the end I put in an HP multi io card with ide controller, set the vectra bios to disk type 47, 16 heads to match my drive - then used ezdrive to get the correct drive capacity and geometry with software translation.
Works nicely with dos 5 and windows 3.o

Reply 2 of 3, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well done! That is nice to see first gen HP PC still maintained and working.
I have restored some Vectra myself (but from 486 DX2 to Pentium III, I use them regularly and all are still working absolutely fine). HP motherboards are well designed so it is "relatively" easy to find a faulty component.
I'm actually working to restore a Commodore PC40-III with no luck for now, this PC is a mess. I have the schematics and everything and I'm still unable to find the problem it has. I'm waiting for some BNC connectors hooks to arrive to test signals with the oscilloscope...

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 3 of 3, by Fdiskitup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I enjoyed fixing the Vecra RS/20 so much that I had to get its little brother off ebay. The Vectra ES/12 is a 286 12mhz also built like a tank. This came with a dead seagate st-251 drive. I used the same trick with EZdrive to get it to talk to an ide drive (goldstar generic multi io ide card).

Now all I need is the Vectra QS for the set!

I can really recommend these old HP machines as an alternate to IBM PC/XT/AT : well documented and fun to work on.