VOGONS

First post, by MadITgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I recently got a Panasonic KXL-D721. its a combo SCSI and sound card on a PCMCIA card. it also came with the matching external scsi-based CD Drive. the CD drive works great but in DOS games(tried duke3d,doom,ROTT,Shadow Warrior,descent) I can get music fine but not sound the drives that came with it say they are for Windows 3.1/dos or Windows 95. I have tried all 3 with the same issue either in MS-dos 6.22(the win3.1 setup installs dos drivers and win3.1 drivers) or under Windows 95's ms-dos command prompt

the sound chip reports as a ESS Audiodrive 1688 (no DMA) and I'm starting to wonder if that is my issue. I cant tell the soundsetup my sound cards DMA because,apparently it does not have one. I have tried some windows version ports of said games (example doom95) and while I get sound and music under a pure windows95 app the laptop I'm using...its slow and/or unplayable

Laptop is a:

Toshiba T1960CT
486dx2@50mhz
20MB RAM
4GB HD with a overlay
WD 1MB Video card

I have even tried a driver from the PCMCIA sound card post at this website that has a matching sound chip. tried to install those drivers but the utility fails to find the card. is this a win-onyl sound card? does anybody else have ideas to try?

Reply 1 of 3, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, and welcome to the forums.
Your card doesn't support DMA emulation under DOS nor Win9x so you won't get digital audio in DOS games, sorry, there's no way around that issue...only a few cards provide DMA emulation under Win9x, and even less do it under DOS.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 3, by MadITgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, thanks for the info.

Reply 3 of 3, by bobconan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have a copy of these drivers?