VOGONS

First post, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all, long time no see.

I admit, it was an impulse buy. I was browsing the vintage section on the 'bay, and saw this. Google-fu produced no concrete specs for it, but I decided to take the plunge. Like most things labeled "good" that come with no power adapter you can expect an adventure...

Some pictures

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Anyway, the exterior is immaculate, which is what caught my eye. It's like it was never used. When it arrived I was quite impressed by it, it was really nice to touch. Then I pried off the rear expansion cover and saw acid carnage... Then pried off the Ni-Cd battery pack, saw more battery acid carnage. There are screwdriver marks on some of the screws so I think the seller must have known. It was my risk, I took it, no fuss from me.

The machine shows no signs of damage on the outside so I decided to investigate if it's salvageable. I took the bottom case apart, disassembled everything and cleaned in an alcohol bath with a toothbrush. Miraculously the acid mostly missed the motherboard, it looks very promising. The unit is made in Japan, seems re-branded for Tandy. Lots of cool features inside, including a secondary "sleep" battery it seems. Acid mostly missed the FDD and the 60MB HDD. FDD seems fine, I lightly cleaned the heads with a Q-tip and alcohol, just in case. FDD uses an FPC type flat flex cable soldered to the drive. On the motherboard end the pins started to de-laminate from the connector edge, failing adhesive it seems, I hope to super-glue them flat to the connector, but I won't touch this drive until I'm ready to reassemble, it won't survive multiple insertions. Conner CP-2064 2.5" HDD looks good externally, I have cleaned the PCB, but I have not gotten it to work hooked up to my modern PC, it spins up and spins down, but I hear no head activity, also not being detected, what seems to be the spindle controller is very hot when it spins up. This is kind of sad, because I was hoping to get original utilities and drivers off it. I guess I'll have to find a suitable replacement unless someone here has an idea how to revive it. Acid damage is mostly limited to the EMF shielding paint on the inside of the laptop body, and the cage around the HDD.

The motherboard is a DFUP0462ZAB1 on silkscreen, DL3UP0462CAA1 on barcode sticker. Made in Japan. Uses a Harris CS80C286-16 licensed from Intel in a PLCC socket, with a Headland HT18/A chipset. VGA is Cirrus Logic parts, CL-GD610 and CL-GD620. There is an unpopulated PLCC socket for a 387SX and unpopulated board position for a 386SX (and possibly a 486SLC) in a through-hole 100-pin QFP socket. I have socket part numbers. Seems all passives around there are populated, so the upgrade to a 386/486 should theoretically be possible, but not sure if practical for reasons I'll explain. There is a 32MHz oscillator overlapping a position for a possible 40MHz (labeled) oscillator, a bit confusing, I have not traced it out yet.

It uses a 16V 1.25A power adapter. The connector is fancy for historical reasons I understand, but the board pads are standard, so I'll replace it with a standard 5mm barrel jack when I get around to it. I soldered wires to the pads so I could power it up with one of my 16V Toshiba adapters. I started with just the motherboard, speaker and the LED/button board. LEDs flicker on and it even beeps sometimes. I connected the screen and it did flash. I hear some whine from the board when it tried to power on. Some of the caps looked suspect. I decided to re-cap it, was like $15 all-in from DigiKey. It was a messy job, the SMD caps were glued to the PCB from the underside, part of the placement process during production I guess. I learned to crack the glue first before de-soldering. I think I lost a pad on 4 or 5 of them, still managed to solder to vias or remaining traces. I'm not exactly a total rookie, this board was not good to rework. Not sure if I would have had more luck with hot air. In any case, the recap is done. It powered up and attempted to boot. There was BIOS boot messages on the screen, I was ecstatic. Reported 1MB of RAM. CMOS contents were lost, said to run the SETUP program, there was no prompt for a key, not sure if it has a ROM program or I have to run a vendor program from a disk. Keyboard is not connected right now because the ribbons are very delicate, I don't want to connect them too many times. I should try the PS/2 connector next time, probably.

Uses a Dallas DS1287... It's probably bad now, right?

There is a 50 pin connector for a memory expansion module. I have not yet identified that connector type, I have seen it on Dell drive bays before.

There is a rear expansion connector on the motherboard labeled MOD, 18 pins for an FPC flex like the FDD, it lives next to the battery under a plastic cover wit a knock-out sized for an RJ-11. I presume that was for a modem. I'm more interested in whether I could put an AdLib clone in there, if that's even sensible. But would be cool. Any info on that connector?

The screen... The lid is immaculate. The panel turned out to be monochrome, I really wished for color, to be honest. But okay. Seems to be a passive matrix, has a contrast slider, kind of slow to fade in with some light line streaks when some of the pixels are changed. I could get that contrast pretty good. Backlight seemed okay, more or less. After a couple of minutes working I started to see flickering, and the pixel matrix started to get darker, until I could barely see the text. The text is still there, I can faintly see the outline of it. Backlight is still working as the border around the pixel matrix is brighter. It's like the contrast control suddenly failed. Has anyone else seen something like this happen? This is where I need help with right now, I know too little about these old monochrome screens. I did not pry apart the lid yet, as it's immaculate and I see no obvious screw holes. Going to wait for comments first.

What would I do with it? Pretty much like all my vintage gear, I don't really know. The main issue here is probably the monochrome screen. It's a cool project but I don't see how a 386sx or a 486slc would be a good pairing with a monochrome screen. That chipset supports up to 8MB RAM. I presume if 1MB is on the board, probably the expansion is 4MB, for 5MB total...? Probably not even sensible for a 486-class machine, and I don't really know what good a 386sx is vs a 286. With a 286 it probably doesn't make sense to seek more memory, even if I can either find or make that memory expansion. What do you guys think? What is this thing good for?

I can probably re-cell the battery, unless there are better ideas. I was thinking of using Ni-Cd AA-sized rechargeables in a holder, seems they would fit inside the battery compartment. They are not expensive.

I would really appreciate resources and info on this model and in what direction to take this project. Right now I need help with the screen.

PS, it seems VOGONS changed the forum theme since I was here last. This theme is very hard to read, very hard on the eyes. Any way to switch to the older one? I switched to classic colors but the theme fonts and stuff are still not good for readability.

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice find ! I read the specs at Oldskool and they say it came with a Intel 287XLT Mathco at U29, any sign of that ?
added: it took me a while to get used to the new format. I set Color Scheme = Old skool, Font = small and Line space = small. But am using a 27" monitor at 1080p mode though is 4k monitor (my eyes are not that good ;p )

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-07-09, 01:52:

Nice find ! I read the specs at Oldskool and they say it came with a Intel 287XLT Mathco at U29, any sign of that ?

Can you link me to that?

The naming scheme for chips on this board is ICxx, not Uxx. No, no 287 in sight, I presume it would have been socketed. I guess mathco only comes with the 386sx configuration, the provided mathco socket is for a 387sx per silkscreen label.

Reply 3 of 8, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the lid apart and inspected the LCD. Backlight is CCFL and is still good. I see some SMD caps on the LCD driver board, and some caps on the backlight inverter. Probably best to recap them.

Like yesterday it worked for a couple minutes, then the pixel matrix started flickering to dark (with the backlight working).

I think I can proceed forward with this project. The screen I will recap when I order parts next time.

HDD recommendations? How should it be formatted? FAT16 and MSDOS 6.22?

EDIT: no luck booting from a 256MB CF card. Need FDD and CMOS setup program.

Phoenix ROM BIOS Plus 3.10.00

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-07-09, 03:01:
Horun wrote on 2022-07-09, 01:52:

Can you link me to that?

The naming scheme for chips on this board is ICxx, not Uxx. No, no 287 in sight, I presume it would have been socketed. I guess mathco only comes with the 386sx configuration, the provided mathco socket is for a 387sx per silkscreen label.

Here are the original Tandy "Fax back" docs: http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/faxback.html
search for 2820HD and the spec sheet: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/faxback/01821.txt
The Tandy Part # on the back of case matches the doc (250-3553)

added: Wayback Machine has the Tandy Laptop:
http://web.archive.org/web/20141129192017/htt … mputers&Reuse=N

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the original 60MB HDD working ? Yes fat 16 and DOS 3.3 is what it came with IIRC....DOS 5 would be good.
The Setup program archive is called 2820HD.exe, inside is SETUP282.COM and a readme. There is also a .pdf describing the useage. Zipped up the files and attached.

added: my bad, according to a tech doc (Tandy_1000-Manual-Notes_&_Jumpers-Volume_2) the 287 Math Co goes in socket IC1:
"2800HD 8OC287XLT 12 Mhz u11
2810HD-20 Meg 80287XLT Var Speed IC2
2810HD-60 Meg 80287XLT Var Speed IC2
2820HD 80287XLT Var Speed IC1"

Attachments

• Filename
    2820HD.7z
    File size
    57.69 KiB
    Downloads
    30 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 8, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, thanks for the resources. I'll put them to good use. Google, in their infinite wisdom, removed FTP protocol from the Chrome browser, so I didn't get to look at things until just now. Will look some more.

Horun wrote on 2022-07-10, 15:37:

Is the original 60MB HDD working ?

From the OP:

r00tb33r wrote on 2022-07-08, 23:00:

Conner CP-2064 2.5" HDD looks good externally, I have cleaned the PCB, but I have not gotten it to work hooked up to my modern PC, it spins up and spins down, but I hear no head activity, also not being detected, what seems to be the spindle controller is very hot when it spins up. This is kind of sad, because I was hoping to get original utilities and drivers off it. I guess I'll have to find a suitable replacement unless someone here has an idea how to revive it.

No luck so far with the drive. It would be nice to get it working but I'm out of ideas. It looks good cosmetically, but that means little toward the working condition of a drive.

The Setup program archive is called 2820HD.exe, inside is SETUP282.COM and a readme. There is also a .pdf describing the useage. Zipped up the files and attached.

Oh, thanks a bunch. Gonna need this. Once I fix the FDD ribbon I'll try booting it.

added: my bad, according to a tech doc (Tandy_1000-Manual-Notes_&_Jumpers-Volume_2) the 287 Math Co goes in socket IC1:
"2820HD 80287XLT Var Speed IC1"

Honestly, that seems like a mistake in the document... unless that chip was supposed to on a module in the expansion slot on the underside with the extra RAM, which I do not have. I did not find a chip labeled IC1 on that board. The 287 is not a small component to miss, if you know what I mean, that board isn't large.
There are only 4 socket positions on that PCB, the 286, the BIOS, socket for 387sx, unpopulated position for 386sx socket.

Reply 7 of 8, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nevermind, I found the position for the 287, it overlaps the 387 socket position on the PCB, that's why I missed it. They're coincident.

Is there any purpose to the mathco upgrade on this machine? I mean, today...?

Reply 8 of 8, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I repaired the FDD ribbon but unfortunately, the drive didn't work. It made a quick whirring noise with a disk inside, but I didn't hear the disk engage. It sounded odd. I tried again, same thing. Took it apart and found that the old belt has no tension anymore (30 years old + exposure to battery acid vapor), the motor just freely spins. Any hope of replacement belts?

I don't have another FDD that fits this ribbon style.