VOGONS

First post, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! I have an Osborne Executive and before removing one of its drive to make disks from images in my dos computer, I would like to know if there's a 5.25 1.2Mb floppy drive able to write onto DD disk on a single side, 40 tracks to create 180 kb floppies ?

Reply 2 of 4, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-28, 20:59:

you would be better off do this on a 5.25 360k drive as itll have similar head geometry as the 180k drive, the 1.2Mb would be useless for this purpose.

Ok, thanks.

Reply 3 of 4, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote on 2022-07-28, 21:06:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-28, 20:59:

you would be better off do this on a 5.25 360k drive as itll have similar head geometry as the 180k drive, the 1.2Mb would be useless for this purpose.

Ok, thanks.

Specifically the way it's been explained to me is that a 1.2MB writing a 360KB disk can only write or erase half the width of the 360KB tracks, so you end up with a disk that can be read in other 1.2MB drives but that looks like chaos to a double density drive which reads the entire width of the track.

Reply 4 of 4, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This bit me in the ass as a kid when I took a box of DD floppies to my friend's house to copy his games but found that half of the disks couldn't be read on my machine. His machine had a HD drive of course.

Is this too much voodoo?