VOGONS

Upgrading SMD Cx486SLC/e-33MP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by Blavius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You could measure the voltage by probing one of the VCC pins of the processor with a multimeter to be sure. If it turns out it's 5V, it is still possible to use a 3.3V SXLC2 by connecting the VCC pins with a wire, but it's going to be a little hacky! I did the same in this tread: IBM L40SX - getting Ti486SXLC2 L1 cache working with 80387

Reply 21 of 21, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Blavius wrote on 2022-08-05, 14:44:

You could measure the voltage by probing one of the VCC pins of the processor with a multimeter to be sure. If it turns out it's 5V, it is still possible to use a 3.3V SXLC2 by connecting the VCC pins with a wire, but it's going to be a little hacky! I did the same in this tread: IBM L40SX - getting Ti486SXLC2 L1 cache working with 80387

I'd considered this in the back of my mind as a "why not" perhaps even adding a jumper to make it look clean. If I can find a place to do it, and isolate the voltage going to the pin. It isn't like the board is mint condition. I stalled out on this and have it just sitting there. Thank you for tickling it for me. 🤣 I should mess with it again.