VOGONS

First post, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the titel says, I might be able to purchase a P3 CPU Tualatin 1.4 GhZ cpu 512 kb Cache with the original box for 100 euros. Still wondering if it is worth it, though.
Would be really cool to have the fastest P3 CPU, but it is wat more than I paid for my other retro gear…
Interested to hear what you guys think.

Reply 1 of 12, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's up to you. I paid an incredulous... RIDICULOUS amount of money for something I shall not name (not a CPU), but it is practically impossible to find. It was a "grail" item for me, and I paid. Is this CPU w/box an important part of your retro collection? If so, you had better buy.

As far a processor prices go, I paid $150 for a sealed 850/100MHz Pentium III Slot 1 (which I left sealed) in the latter half of 2021, but I wouldn't buy the 1.4GHz because I have no interest (plus, I have a loose one already) other than to flip it on eBay for more.

Reply 2 of 12, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even loose ones are tending to go for between 60-80 euros and with usage obviously, and for example if you're in Europe they tend to normally only be available in Asia or the US, and you may end up paying some 15-20 Euros more for customs charges. So by comparison to get one in box for 100 euros isn't actually that high (in this context), I've never even saw one in box for sale anywhere. If the collectible aspect of it appeals to you, it's not that shocking to be honest. I bought two loose ones and they ended up being the builds I love the most. And you can always sell it later if it doesn't satisfy you, it's only going up unfortunately. But for now the motherboards for it are becoming the hardest item to get. But it sure is a blast to watch the most powerful Pentium III in action, pair it up with a 9600 Pro or 9600XT and be amazed. Perfect for those 1998-2002/3 games and applications. I loved that period of software

If you do buy it can you show the box and contents please? I'm curious, thanks

Reply 3 of 12, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bassix6 wrote on 2022-08-21, 17:11:

...Tualatin 1.4 GhZ cpu 512 kb Cache with the original box...

This doesn´t say it´s still sealed, just that the offer includes the box. In the latter case it might have been used/overheated/tortured.

Reply 4 of 12, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
andre_6 wrote on 2022-08-21, 17:57:

Even loose ones are tending to go for between 60-80 euros and with usage obviously, and for example if you're in Europe they tend to normally only be available in Asia or the US, and you may end up paying some 15-20 Euros more for customs charges. So by comparison to get one in box for 100 euros isn't actually that high (in this context), I've never even saw one in box for sale anywhere. If the collectible aspect of it appeals to you, it's not that shocking to be honest. I bought two loose ones and they ended up being the builds I love the most. And you can always sell it later if it doesn't satisfy you, it's only going up unfortunately. But for now the motherboards for it are becoming the hardest item to get. But it sure is a blast to watch the most powerful Pentium III in action, pair it up with a 9600 Pro or 9600XT and be amazed. Perfect for those 1998-2002/3 games and applications. I loved that period of software

Here are the pictures.

1-A3-ECE19-DF27-4-EB7-8757-781-E89-A1-A595.jpg

64-CBF8-F1-9575-48-F0-997-B-CDE500-F7203-E.jpg

8818017-A-8250-4892-8-D6-F-2-BC23-F8-BDCA7.jpg

Reply 5 of 12, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bassix6 wrote on 2022-08-21, 18:22:

Here are the pictures.
[/quote]

Nice, thanks!

Reply 6 of 12, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I paid more than that for an SL4KL. I think we've all paid a lot of money for some piece of outdated hardware that we specifically wanted.

I think when I bought my tualatins, I was looking for a stepping more than anything else.

Reply 7 of 12, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depends on if having the original box is worth it for you. I gave up on finding reasonable priced 1.4 GHz P3 but kept it in my 'saved searches' for a few years and it finally paid off last month.

https://i.imgur.com/2RwtiYx.jpg

Most people were respectful of others and only bought what they needed for $9.99 each but then 1 or 2 profiteers had to ruin that. They did the same thing when that same seller put up a bunch of 1.1 GHz 100 MHz SL5QW P3 which I was glad as I had been looking for a reasonable priced one of those for even longer and those were $6.99.

Reply 9 of 12, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you want it as part of a collection then i guess its just up to you

if it was to be used then a P3 with slightly lower Mhz will be fine and much cheaper

Reply 10 of 12, by karakarga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one with tA1 version. I can use it on Asus P3C-E and P3V4X mainboards. It depends on what is your goal. Windows 7 support for P3 CPU's ended in 2018. Windows explorer 11 is no more working. (Except some countries like Turkey) So with a P3 1400 Tualatin, you can not install Windows 7 even with 1 GB Ram, it needs SSE2 right now and there is no good browser to work with it like Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Edge does not work. (Even Pentium Pro option is not enough for Slot 1 mainboards, because it has no SSE2 either.) I can advice at least a 478 pin processor and mainboard to you. You may be thinking to run offline, but no internet access is a real problem. You need to have a handy USB from an internet access computer all the time, or cable network connection to it etc.

Reply 11 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember when these things were nearly worthless, back in the late 2000s when old PIII servers were being decommissioned en masse.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 12, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2022-11-23, 20:53:

I remember when these things were nearly worthless, back in the late 2000s when old PIII servers were being decommissioned en masse.

Me too. I think I bought 50 of them or so, never for more than $6-8 a pop. I had no idea they are going for so much now. I haven't looked in years.

Mr. Tualatin