VOGONS

First post, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to create an account because of something weird I remembered from a few years ago.

I tried to temporarily swap a failed optical drive in a laptop (an HP Pavilion ze1210) with a known good drive from another laptop and discovered that the connectors were slightly different. The working drive (from a Gateway Solo 2500) made a loose fit in the connector on the HP and wasn't detected reliably. The opposite was true as well - the HP's drive would only partially plug into the connector in the Gateway. The specs I could find for the two drives listed the same connector part number, and I don't think it's likely that Hirose changed the connector dimensions between 1999 and 2002 without changing the part number. Neither laptop uses a caddy or adapter of any kind, so I didn't forget to swap that over. Has anyone here seen this?

Reply 1 of 2, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I realized that I got the connector manufacturer wrong. It's JAE, not Hirose.

I decided to take these laptops apart again and compare the connectors. The spacing between rows is slightly wider on the older drive from the Gateway, but the two drives actually did physically interchange this time. I don't know what happened back then. The HP laptop still didn't detect the known working drive from the Gateway, though. It will eject the tray and spin a disc, so it's getting power. I don't feel like trying to get a working drive in that computer right now, especially since every IDE optical drive I buy fails in a few months. It might be nice to reinstall Windows on it since the install I have now was badly corrupted by a failing hard drive, poorly cobbled into a bootable state, and then cloned onto a new drive.

Reply 2 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know, thanks !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun