VOGONS

First post, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so i bought a bx board the other week... got round to testing it tonight..
well it wont show anything on the video card... just stays blank ... no beeps... nothing ... it would turn the power supply fan on (for a bit, now it wont even do that)..
yes i pulled all the cards out, ram, reseated, tried different ps, new battery, caps look ok.. etc etc.

this happend to a p4 system earlier this year too..
seems like a common thing (i have 3 working systems and 2 dead ones)..

ive had a look online and here... this problem is not uncommon, but most of the time there is no solution and no common known cause..

Reply 2 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a weird post. "I bought a vintage car and it doesnt start! At first it was cranking but now there is no reaction. I think its a common problem".
What exactly were your expectations when posting this? 😀 Do you want help fixing this board? Are you testing ESP abilities and counting on someone guessing make and model? Are you asking is it common for 20 year old items sold with no warranty or testing to be faulty?

The way I see it there are four ways of going about collecting vintage anything:

• you collect items, dont care if they work

space consuming, some people dont even unpack their purchases, dopamine hit from clicking buy/grabbing something at the flea market is all that counts. Hoard grows. Might even be like gambling - maybe you get lucky and get something working for almost nothing, most of the time you overpay for e-waste and complain.

• you are an engineer/artist or at least an enthusiastic amateur and will fix/restore your own stuff

time consuming, making something work might even be more important than the item itself

• you pay others to fix your stuff

expensive, enjoying curated working collection

• you pay extra to get working tested stuff

very expensive, enjoying curated working collection

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 9, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-09-01, 16:20:

What a weird post. "I bought a vintage car and it doesnt start! At first it was cranking but now there is no reaction. I think its a common problem".
What exactly were your expectations when posting this? 😀

I was kind of hoping someone might have a success story where they actually got theirs going..
the only success stories ive seen have been ones where the poster had put a cable/component not fully in (or similar silly error)...
or maybe someone has a good theory as to what actually causes this situation (rare/common)..
or someone might say, "once they do that theres 99% chance it cant be fixed, dont bother trying to recap if they arnt obviously leaking", that sort of thing..

Reply 4 of 9, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could start by posting informations about the used parts with deatils what you have exactly measured or tried.
Each component needs another level of attention and solutions.
Is it Socket 423 or Socket 478 or Socket 775? All are Pentium 4 capable. Brand and Model?
Ram, cache, powersupply, graphics, other cards?
Powersupply known good?
Measured the caps for shorts?

Just to get a start...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 5 of 9, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-09-01, 15:47:
so i bought a bx board the other week... got round to testing it tonight.. well it wont show anything on the video card... just […]
Show full quote

so i bought a bx board the other week... got round to testing it tonight..
well it wont show anything on the video card... just stays blank ... no beeps... nothing ... it would turn the power supply fan on (for a bit, now it wont even do that)..
yes i pulled all the cards out, ram, reseated, tried different ps, new battery, caps look ok.. etc etc.

this happend to a p4 system earlier this year too..
seems like a common thing (i have 3 working systems and 2 dead ones)..

ive had a look online and here... this problem is not uncommon, but most of the time there is no solution and no common known cause..

I guess one option I can think of is maybe trying to invest in an oscilloscope and scoping it to see if certain lines aren't responding right and trying to trace back the issue.
You could also hail mary it and recap the whole board or replace the vrms.

Are you also sure the psu isn't the issue? , maybe its gone bad?

Reply 6 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-09-01, 16:47:

I was kind of hoping someone might have a success story where they actually got theirs going..

got theirs WHAT going? 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 9, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

guys EXCITING news...
it came to life today...

i took everything off the MB and just put back the CPU and video card and just the power button lead... no RAM or anything else...
when i powered it on it gave 1-3-3-1 beeps.. so that means its not totally dead..
i then put 1 stick of 64mb pc133 RAM in it (from another machine)... and ... it gave me a video screen ...

so moral of the story... i dont know.. dont trust your RAM .. anyway this might help others in the future with a similar issue...

Reply 8 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-09-02, 13:26:
it came i powered it it gave its not anyway this might help others in the future with a similar issue... […]
Show full quote

it came
i powered it
it gave
its not
anyway this might help others in the future with a similar issue...

yes, anyone with dead "it" should be really happy now 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-09-02, 13:46:

yes, anyone with dead "it" should be really happy now 😀

if the "it" is their it, and it fixes the it then they will be very happy their it now works as good as my it does..
("it" is a nice word)