VOGONS

First post, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,

I seem to be having the same problem as others have had with some Asus boards. See here: P3B-F PS/2 ports stopped working

It's the exact same issues. 2 different PS/2 mice aren't detected in Windows or DOS. And if I go into the BIOS, the PS/2 keyboard stops responding. Keyboard usually works outside of the BIOS but not always. And the issues go away if I unplug the mouse.

The solution for the Asus board seems to be removing a capacitor. Anyone have an idea if a similar procedure could be applied to the BH6?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kinda in the same boat as you but with a Acorp 6VIA81P (VIA 693A/596B) that I am trying to restore.

The issue on mine though kinda resembles the P3B-F, but so far I haven't removed any of the KB/Mouse caps since I'd rather wait along with you for a fix on this.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 4, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I think I solved my problem and it ended up being dead simple.

I decided to prod at it with my multimeter again to see if I could find anything I missed before. When I checked one of the fuses near the PS/2 ports I think I poked it on the side this time instead of pressing down on it, which made the fuse easily lift off the board on one side! Thankfully I didn’t do any damage on the side that was still soldered to the board. So I soldered it back down and everything seems to be acting normal.

So I guess I never found the problem before because I would have pressed down on both sides of the fuse and got a good reading on the multimeter. Lesson for the future would be to check continuity across a longer distance.

I’m still surprised by the symptoms I had with the keyboard not working sometimes and that sort of thing, but I’m not going to worry about it now. 😀