VOGONS

Prepare CF card for use with old hardware

Topic actions

First post, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all

I’ve recently got a CF to IDE adaptor, I understand CF are the best for compatibility as they just use IDE format so the adaptor is passive (my SD adaptor was a hit and Miss indeed).

I’m trying to have my card to work with all my systems: more recent socket 7 ones but also 286 and 386.

The card I think I have is a 2GB. What is the best procedure to have the best compatibility throughout the various systems?

I guess maybe installing it on a more recent system where the card can be auto-detected then fdisk it and format it. Then write down the cylinder/heads value for when using with older systems.

Would that work in your opinion? Is 2GB ok for an old msdos 6.22 and a, say, 286 system?

Thank you!

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@tony359

Reply 1 of 26, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For older systems (esp. 286) you'll likely need to be using the XT-IDE bios extension to use a 2GB CF card.

I just went through getting a CF card to work with a 286 build. I ended up using a lo-tech XT-IDE adapter card to load the XT-IDE bios, and connected a the CF card via a IDE-CF adapter to the computers 16-bit ISA controller card.

I haven't tried it with a 2GB card, but a 1 GB card did work.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same.

In the late 90s, some LBA Enhancer cards existed (ISA card with an EPROM).

They might be an alternative to XTIDE Universal BIOS, but maybe need a 386/486 processor..

tony359 wrote on 2022-10-02, 15:09:

Is 2GB ok for an old msdos 6.22 and a, say, 286 system?

Hi there! Yes, it is okay, don't worry.
- The largest CF you can use without worrying is 8GB.

That's the maximum disk size which MS-DOS can handle no problem.
Past this size, weird things can happen. But don't have to happen. Depends on BIOS and other factors.

An 8GB disk/card can be divided into 4 partitions with 2GB each.
In practice, an 8GB disk/card is a bit smaller, maybe (7.xx GB), don't worry.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 26, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks both

Can you remind me why a 2GB CF won’t work on a 286 without XTIDE while my old HDD will?

Thanks

Reply 4 of 26, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tony359 wrote on 2022-10-02, 16:48:

Thanks both

Can you remind me why a 2GB CF won’t work on a 286 without XTIDE while my old HDD will?

Thanks

It has to do with limitations in older BIOSs in how hard drives are configured.

In the case of user-definable hard drives, you'd typically run into a limit based on heads, cylinders and sectors which combined to create a 504MB maximum capacity. In the case of BIOSs which didn't have user-defined types (such as the 286 BIOS on my recent build), you're even further limited to whatever pre-defined types are available.

Therefore you need a BIOS extension like XT-IDE to be able to properly assign larger capacities.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 5 of 26, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-02, 18:21:

It has to do with limitations in older BIOSs in how hard drives are configured.

In the case of user-definable hard drives, you'd typically run into a limit based on heads, cylinders and sectors which combined to create a 504MB maximum capacity. In the case of BIOSs which didn't have user-defined types (such as the 286 BIOS on my recent build), you're even further limited to whatever pre-defined types are available.

Seconded. Even with user-defined HDD parameters available in BIOS, they might still be limited to 528MB / 504MiB. If you went through all the troubles of resurrecting a 386 or earlier system, why not look for smaller CF cards with better compatibilities as well?

CF_cards.jpg

While 2GB was the largest single partition FAT16 can handle, HDD of that capacity were very rare in and before 1995 (when Pentium were becoming more and more common) so I wouldn't be surprised if a 286/386 motherboard could not recognize one.

Reply 6 of 26, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Exactly my thought. I think I’d rather get a 256GB one (which is plenty for a 286!) so it works everywhere.

I can then also have the 2GB one for more modern systems with windows etc. but the testing one can totally be a 256MB one.

Any recommendations on type, brand etc?

(Alternatively an XTIDE board which would bypass the bios limitations altogether of course. )

Reply 7 of 26, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a note... for 286 use real DOS (6.2 or 6.22). With Win9X DOS it won't boot. This also applies to real HDDs.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 26, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tony359 wrote on 2022-10-02, 20:32:

Exactly my thought. I think I’d rather get a 256GB one (which is plenty for a 286!) so it works everywhere.

I can then also have the 2GB one for more modern systems with windows etc. but the testing one can totally be a 256MB one.

Any recommendations on type, brand etc?

256GB? 😆 That's still plenty for a modern system, as long as you don't install too many games. 😉

For the record, MS-DOS 4.0/4.01 introduced 2GB partition but was buggy and memory hungry; most users (myself included) stuck with 3.30 which was only capable of 32MB partition. It was not until the revolutionary 5.0 (2GB partition + multiple startup configurations + HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE + QBasic replacing GWBasic, etc.) did the 2GB (max) partition become more common. My first Pentium desktop in 1995 had only an 1GB Quantum Fireball.

Buying new old stock or tested industrial-grade CF cards of big brands (Sandisk, Kingston, etc.) with 512MB or less can by expensive; if you've got flea markets or e-waste centers nearby you might be able to salvage 512MB or smaller CF cards for free or with very low price. And a small tip: perform FDISK and FORMAT with a real DOS (5.0-6.22) instead of using a modern system.

Reply 10 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love MS-DOS 5.. It's so weird. 😁 ❤️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEvPZUdAVI

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 26, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2022-10-02, 22:55:
tony359 wrote on 2022-10-02, 20:32:

256GB? 😆 That's still plenty for a modern system, as long as you don't install too many games. 😉

🤣! I keep doing that!

Buying new old stock or tested industrial-grade CF cards of big brands (Sandisk, Kingston, etc.) with 512MB or less can by expensive; if you've got flea markets or e-waste centers nearby you might be able to salvage 512MB or smaller CF cards for free or with very low price. And a small tip: perform FDISK and FORMAT with a real DOS (5.0-6.22) instead of using a modern system.

What's the advantage of an industrial CF card?
And yes, I will definitely prepare the card on an actual system.

Also thanks for the heads up about using actual DOS and not Windows DOS.

TBH I'm thinking of getting a network card for XT-IDE. I believe that even a smaller CF might struggle to get recognised on some older and quirk systems so maybe an XTIDE is the solution.

Thanks all for now!

Reply 12 of 26, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Little help please.

I couldn’t find the 2GB card I thought I had and I only found a 4GB one instead.

I partitioned it on a socket 7 board under dos 6.22, worked, transferred the system and all the files but wouldn’t boot.

Tried again, removed the partition, installed DOS via floppy from scratch, all works fine but then it refuses to boot up.

If I boot up from another disk I can access the CF no problem and run software from it.

BIOS can detect it correctly as a 4GB drive.

What could that be? I feel it might be something silly I’m forgetting 🙂

Thanks

Reply 13 of 26, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you set the active partition in FDISK after creating it? That gets overlooked sometimes.

Reply 14 of 26, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tony359 wrote on 2022-10-03, 21:25:
Little help please. […]
Show full quote

Little help please.

I couldn’t find the 2GB card I thought I had and I only found a 4GB one instead.

I partitioned it on a socket 7 board under dos 6.22, worked, transferred the system and all the files but wouldn’t boot.

Tried again, removed the partition, installed DOS via floppy from scratch, all works fine but then it refuses to boot up.

If I boot up from another disk I can access the CF no problem and run software from it.

BIOS can detect it correctly as a 4GB drive.

What could that be? I feel it might be something silly I’m forgetting 🙂

Thanks

This happened to me once; use FDISK to check if your partition has been set active.

fdisk-image-1-15-1.png

Screencap taken from https://www.blackviper.com/2002/10/06/fdisk-usage-guide/

UPDATE: digistorm beats me. 😉

Reply 17 of 26, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tony359 wrote on 2022-10-03, 21:53:

That worked! Thank you! I did read about that but I had forgotten to try!

Can I ask why that is a necessary step?

Thanks again!

If the master boot record hasn't been created properly on the drive (or CF card), it can't be used to boot up the system.

The FDISK /MBR command rewrites the master boot record and thus allows the drive to be used for booting.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 18 of 26, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you!

I understand that part - but shouldn't that happen automatically when the CF is partitioned?

Reply 19 of 26, by smoke86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you use overlay software to make it work under 286?
I'd recommend it as it is going to cost you nothing, while XT/IDE is not cheap.

tony359 wrote on 2022-10-04, 20:58:

Thank you!

I understand that part - but shouldn't that happen automatically when the CF is partitioned?

Not always, fdisk should ask if you wish to make first partition active.

Last edited by smoke86 on 2022-10-04, 21:02. Edited 1 time in total.