VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if a Panasonic Toughbook CF-U1 handheld qualifies as "old" (circa 2007...), but...

I acquired one last week; a second, parts machine arrived today. I still need to get a power adapter for them.

Neither has an SSD installed, and the CF-U1 requires a proprietary connector, even though it's standard IDE... one machine has a caddy w/o the necessary connector, the other doesn't even have a caddy...

However, I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9syGVhpcqGY for installing an msata drive in the back of the CF-U1 via an adapter board.

It occurred to me that I could do the same mod, just using an actual zif SSD, and save the space / hassle of the adapter board (it requires a resister mod to work).

But I haven't been able to find 40 pin zif cables. My hope is that I can insert a new SSD into the bay for the caddy (I have the STL for a matching cover for the caddy bay, which I should be able to convert into a "holder" to keep the drive from rattling). But even if I can't, I should still be able to stick it in the back of the unit as did the video maker.

Can anyone point me at a source for appropriate zif SSD ribbon cables? Preferably in the US