VOGONS

First post, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's worth upgrading from Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz, 512 Kb cache, FSB 533 Mhz to Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz, 512 Kb cache, FSB 800 Mhz? The motherboard support only DDR1 and AGP 8x.

Reply 1 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, I would only do it if I already had the machine apart for rebuild or cleaning and the 800Mhz FSB CPU was sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

If however, I also had a 2.4Ghz 512mb cache 533 bus P4, I would BSEL mod it and run it at 800 for ~3.6Ghz with a big heatsink on.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say that if you already have the second CPU, it's worth the upgrade for the FSB boost. If you are looking to buy it, there shouldn't be a big difference in cost to jump to 3.2 GHz or even 3.4.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you already have it yes, otherwise look for a 3.4 Northwood if you really want it faster

Reply 4 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on your OS. Pentium 4 Northwood 2800/533 don't have HyperThreading.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't bother. P4 is only good for high-end W98 and for that your current PC is already overpowered. For anything it's too slow for you're better off running XP on a Core2 with a graphics card which would be bottlenecked by any P4 anyway.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Winter is coming, instead of running your heater as well as your retro PC why not save on your heating bill and enjoy the source of your rooms heater
...and I'm only 1/2 joking!

Reply 7 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2022-10-14, 13:58:

Winter is coming, instead of running your heater as well as your retro PC why not save on your heating bill and enjoy the source of your rooms heater

🤣, I'm using old(ish) PCs to heat my space this winter. It's gonna be cheaper than gas central heating this year. Decided to use distributed computing on sockets 2011v3, 1151 (Skylake) and probably 1151 (Coffee Lake). Might build a 775 system with a QX9650 as well.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 8 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I gotta keep doing the math, at the moment gas heat is costing me 3 to 4 cents per Kilowatt hour, electricity averaging 10 cents, but could focus to cheaper times for 8c.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since we all got sent home to work I found running a 775 rig next to me was enough to heat what became the office and could turn the radiator in the room off. As a bonus it plays music or other tasks. The radiator on the other hand doesn't do anything and sure few years ago the radiator may have been cheaper to run, but realistically I'd of fired up some other electrical device at least this way it was my XP rig with fun things installed

Reply 10 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2022-10-14, 13:58:

Well take away the joke entirely, instead of Northwood grab a 3.4 Prescott, pair it with a quadro 2000 modded to FX5800 Ultra, plenty of heat now

I'll be using mine for heat this winter, my rental houses furnace is eletric, and im paying 18 cents per killowatt hour, gas is cheaper but no gas heater, but computers in a closed off space should be less power hungry than the entire furnace

Reply 11 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about an FX-9590 + GTX590 SLI XP rig? That's about a 900W furnace on paper. A Prescott 3.4 and an FX5800 Ultra should top put at around 200W.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png