VOGONS

First post, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All,

Fired up my PC for the first time in a while and after the Windows ME splash screen, the screen just goes black/no signal. Worked fine in the past and bought this GPU NIB earlier this year. I ran in safe mode and uninstalled drivers. I could not find a version of DDU that worked on windows ME. After going back to normal mode I now had a display with the generic driver. Reinstalled the ATi driver and after reboot, back to black screen. GPU dead maybe? I have another AGP gpu somewhere but by the time I find it in storage I could probably just order something else 🤣.

9600XT
Some motherboard I cant remember
P3 1Ghz
768 MB Ram

Reply 1 of 6, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar problem with my FX5700. That one needed new caps.

If the card doesn't artifact and works overall fine with the generic Windows drivers, it's likely an easy fix like with my FX.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 6, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still have not found the other one yet but I inspected this one and it looks brand new (it was sealed earlier this year in box). Caps look great not sure what else it could be. Oh well I guess $90 down the drain.

Reply 4 of 6, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried Windows ME on my PIII rig but it always hanged during boot after installing NVidia driver (win9x version). Windows 98 works fine.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5 of 6, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlexZ wrote on 2022-11-03, 17:32:

I tried Windows ME on my PIII rig but it always hanged during boot after installing NVidia driver (win9x version). Windows 98 works fine.

I had it using an Nvidia card and this card before just fine. It was sitting for a few months went to fire it up and this happened. Tried an XP drive I have and it makes it to the desktop but then locks up. I realized the DVI port had upwards force on it while it was stored thanks to my DVI to HDMI adaptor. Maybe that broke it.