VOGONS

First post, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

My name is Martin and got here a year or so ago, mostly because of drivers for some hardware I had laying around. Well since then the collection has enlarged quite a bit (about it a little bit later) and got me into studying about electronics and software, so I could repair boards and try and understand a little bit better Qbasic or Dos commands and so on...

Right now I am searching for my first PC case, it was in my humble opinion the best looking case ever made, still today. Clean, functional, a little bit too small, but you cant have it all from a horizontally laid desktop case I guess.
It was between the year 1990 to 1994(95) and inside there was an AMD 386-40Mhz with 4MB of ram, a Trident 512KB graphics, initially a pc speaker only system, a big and small floppy drive, and IIRC a 180-200MB HDD.
At that time I was 6-7 years old and the technology from the world was scarce in my country, which at the time was just being recognized internationally as a stand alone country. We are talking about 1991. Well the time has passed and of course new technologies have been developed and I tossed all of the ancient pc into the bin. Now that I am in my late 30's, I would like to build my system again, but from day to day it's getting harder.
So as I mentioned, I am searching for a PC case similar to this, or at least any hint were or what brand to search for.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M_Dzamtitnht … ?usp=share_link

Thanks for your help and for this amazing forum! Keep it going!
M

Reply 1 of 9, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh yes, since I mentioned my collection, I could write it down...

//286-16- almost like new
//386SX-25 + 387 - have to repair because of leaked battery corrosion
//386DX-40 - a beauty inside and outside
// a few 486 ranging from 50mhz to 100DX4
//586 - P100MHz - working but the mobo is one of the dreaded PC CHIPS with fake or broken onboard L2 cache
//586 - P166MHz working but lost the PSU that could reach the connector on the mobo
//P2 350MHz - working and kicking
//P3 450MHz - bad caps all over the mobo
//P4 1,8Ghz on a Foxconn branded mobo
//C2D E8300 which I use as an intermediator between old and new machines, since it has every connector possible (sata, ide, raid, usb, parallel, serial, card reader,...)

And in the end there are two special pieces which I adopted on the last year:

//Sinclair ZX spectrum Issue3b + a BVM monitor + composite mod
//Atari STFM 1040 + SM124 bw monitor + Megafile 30 + Atari mouse

Most of the stuff turns on with a few quirks here and there, It take me a few months usually to first check every piece before pushing the power button. As of today, I lost only one tantalum capacitor. 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello my fellow countryman 😀

Pretty nice collection you have there. If possible post some photos of it... we love photos here 😁

About your wanted AT case... Unfortunately I have no idea.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 9, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the welcome...

And a big, huge, THANKS!!! to user @Snufkin! You just made my day with this link! Perfect! It is her... the case I am looking for, and by the date of the post I can imagine there are more around and maybe I someday I can get myself one!

@kixs Hey man! Nice to see you here too... And don't worry I will post some photos or videos soon. Just need to finish some projects and then take my time. For sure I am planning on doing some "doscember" stuff! 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome aboard. That's a very nice collection you have there.
Getting any AT-case is already hard enough, let alone finding a special one. I know how it feels to be missing an item from the past. I wish you all the luck finding it. 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like there is one of those cases for sale on FB Marketplace in Australia. It's expensive and on the other side of the earth, so not a lot of use to you. But there's a bunch of pics, what looks like some reseller branding "Stellar Microsystems" and the original packaging. I've put the pics into an album here for posterity:

https://imgur.com/a/hVRunuC

Reply 9 of 9, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-11-07, 02:36:

It looks like there is one of those cases for sale on FB Marketplace in Australia. It's expensive and on the other side of the earth, so not a lot of use to you. But there's a bunch of pics, what looks like some reseller branding "Stellar Microsystems" and the original packaging. I've put the pics into an album here for posterity:

https://imgur.com/a/hVRunuC

OMG now I am seriuosly considering buying it and importing it... 😅 It's pricey as f*&k! But it's in perfect condition and with the box. Hope to find one a little bit nearer though. Still can't get the manifacturer of those cases, and the model is very similar to olympus digital cameras names (om-d) which doesn't really help me in this quest... But now at least I have photos from every single angle, which is great! Thanks!