VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

As part of my setting up of my vintage 486 PC with a retro PC desk from the 80's/90s, I want to be able to use Gravis Game Pad Pros, DOS compatible Sidewinder joystick, my Gravis Phoenix, and CH products. However, I do not want to pull the case out every time I want to switch. The mouse & keyboard connections are weak and jiggly, and I have problems with my MPU-IPC-T which causes me to wiggle cables and load up Savage Empire to test for MT-32 connection, frequently (not sure if it is the cable or the box..)

What I would like to do is to get a gameport extension cable and run it in such a way as to provide easy access to the gameport from the front of the desk. I have one, if I can find it. Or I can order one. The question is, since the shortest I can find thus far is 6ft, will that be too long for my game devices? I read that adding game device cable length causes problems. If that is true, I can see there being more problems with the more complex game devices with all of the extra features. If length matters but 3ft would work, does anyone know where I can find one? I am sure I could make one my cutting and splicing, if necessary.

Other than that and working out some kinks and optimizing/cleaning up start up files and deciding on what apps for Win3.x (Lotus or Office?), and hooking up my old school Creative beige microphone when it arrives, I think that his project is almost complete (unless a new batch of AWE64 legacy cards is made, as I would definitely buy one of those and would replace my AWE32 and my MPU-IPC-T.

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In Analog mode for gameport would think that max of 10 feet would be ok (only because of resistance in the wire), for Digital mode it is probably more complex if the wiring is not shielded very well... just a guess:D

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a switch box setup with 6ft jumpers going to each PC connected to another switch box to select the gameport device via a second 6' jumper

so 12' of extension plus two switches, makes no difference

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks Max, good to know. I saw 6' extenders on fleabay for reasonable....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun