VOGONS

First post, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that ZIP drives work fine in DOS, at least the older ones. But what about the later iterations which supported 750mb disks? Those would be nice to have when running an OS that only supports 2gb partitions, if only to keep the main hard drive free of too much clutter.

I wish I could give more details about the machine I have in mind, but I am getting it for free. I think it is a Pentium machine, but that is just a guess on the basis of what the case looks like; there is no case badge saying so.

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Zip750 only came as ATAPI or USB.
ATAPI should be fine, and acts somewhat like a optical drive. requiring a driver loaded for it to work.
Not sure but doubt a dos mode driver was created for USB version.

I've got a Zip100 parallel that still works. As you said it comes in handy to get files onto older dos PC's, at least till it can get onto a network.

Reply 2 of 2, by delsydebothom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, thanks. I am going to try to get an ATAPI drive as soon as funds allow. If I can find drivers that work well with it, I'll post an update. It has been a long time since I've had the chance to set up a real DOS system (as opposed to emulation), and am looking forward to the process!