VOGONS

First post, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of retro builds with 3.5in fdds so I thought it was a good idea to get an unused usb fdd still in the box (not sealed). However it doesn't read any disk's including known good disks.

Usually repairing fdds is really simple (unless corroded horribly, or electronics is dead) so I cleaned the heads and lubricated the sliders and the head's screw drive, but it made no difference. I turned the drive screw shaft with pliers too as I once had a head stuck when it got too far. There is no change.

The fdd connected to a pc (Linux, buy I also tried on win10) spins the disk, the head goes all the way to the center of the disk, then moves to the outermost position (track 0) and it keeps spinning the disk failing to read it. It reports media not recognised error.

Also I tried using contacts cleaner on the flat ribbon between the usb controller and the drive itself.

So I wonder, is there some known failure mode with those drives? Is it perhaps fixable? Maybe there are "fake" usb drives? The usb controller board looks surprisingly simple for a fdd controller.

Reply 1 of 2, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flynth wrote on 2022-11-28, 10:01:

(....) spins the disk, the head goes all the way to the center of the disk, then moves to the outermost position (track 0) and it keeps (........) Maybe there are "fake" usb drives? The usb controller board looks surprisingly simple for a fdd controller.

At this point i am quite sure doing a fake like this would be just as or more costly than doing the real thing.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 2 of 2, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Geri wrote on 2022-11-28, 12:09:
flynth wrote on 2022-11-28, 10:01:

(....) spins the disk, the head goes all the way to the center of the disk, then moves to the outermost position (track 0) and it keeps (........) Maybe there are "fake" usb drives? The usb controller board looks surprisingly simple for a fdd controller.

At this point i am quite sure doing a fake like this would be just as or more costly than doing the real thing.

Hmm, the possibility crossed my mind considering how cheaply old laptop fdds were at some point, but yes it is a bit of a stretch.

I wonder what could be broken. There are two more connectors that accept a flexible flat ribbon. One is for the stepper the other for the head. Perhaps I'll clean those too.

Further than that I'm not sure what else can break other than the head itself (is there a way to test it with a multimeter?