VOGONS

First post, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today, I tried to swap out my old Celeron for a Pentium III 800EB. I have an Abit BX6r2 for this project. I installed the CPU, booted up, and configured the CPU in the Soft Menu interface as 133MHz FSB and a 2/3 AGP multiplier. The system posts, but it has a black screen when it gets the part where it's supposed to load Windows.

My first instinct was that the graphics card can't handle the 88.7MHz AGP bus. I think I have ruled this out. To test this, I configured the system two different ways: First, I configured the system for FSB=83MHz with a 1/1 AGP multiplier. That booted into Windows fine and ran through a suite of benchmarks without any stability issues. Second, I configured it at FSB=100MHz with a 1/1 AGP multiplier and the system was able to run through various benchmarks just fine.

This testing seems to indicate that the video card can tolerate AGP bus speeds from 66MHz through 100MHz.

I also configured the CPU for 124MHz x 6 = 744MHz with a 2/3 AGP multiplier. That works fine and runs through my benchmarks too (albeit, northbridge and power mosfets are starting to get noticably warm at this speed).

The last thing I tried was relaxing memory timings. That made no difference.

Are there any other things I can try before I start swapping through my CPU collection?

Reply 1 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe you know what youre talking about and just wrote it down wrong?

IDK but On 440BX at 100mhz FSB the AGP bus runs at 66mhz. That is defualt behavior.

On 440BX Overclocked to 133FSB the AGP bus runs at 87mhz which is out of spec.

It could also be your board only handles 124mhz fsb.

Reply 2 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He wrote exactly what you repeated, so no idea what You meant 😀

>Abit BX6

peak shit capacitor timeframe. Do you have access to ESR meter or oscilloscope?
try bumping cpu voltage by 0.1V
what slotket are you using?
download softfsb, looks like it has direct support for your board https://m.yanlutong.com/pcsoft/5285/

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 8, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-28, 03:54:
He wrote exactly what you repeated, so no idea what You meant :) […]
Show full quote

He wrote exactly what you repeated, so no idea what You meant 😀

>Abit BX6

peak shit capacitor timeframe. Do you have access to ESR meter or oscilloscope?
try bumping cpu voltage by 0.1V
what slotket are you using?
download softfsb, looks like it has direct support for your board https://m.yanlutong.com/pcsoft/5285/

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have any repair equipment, so I won't be able to do any repairs any time soon. The board has all original components and, while nothing is bulged, 23 years is probably well past the shelf life on these capacitors. I'm just going to let it limp along as is and hope any bad components don't take out an IC.

I also might try an SL4KL I have around and see if the board hates the power draw of the 800EB, or if it just hates the 133MHz FSB. The SL4KL should draw a lot more power but run at 100MHz FSB. That'll kind of tell me something and hopefully not nuke the board while I'm testing.

PS: I was not using a slotket. It's an old fashioned Slot 1 800EB that I had in a box (SL4G7).

Reply 6 of 8, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure that you have chosen 133/33 MHz and not 133/41 MHz? Older revisions lack fourth jumper and the result is higly overclocked PCI bus.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 7 of 8, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The BX6r2 has a proper 1/4 PCI divider. I had it set up. I'm curious though, now that you mention it.

I'm curious, not that you mention it (and this is purely academic). If I did overclock the PCI bus, and I'm not using any PCI cards, would it matter? I can see a scenario where some integrated peripherals could be affected. But if not, would it cause any instability?