VOGONS

386 laptop and booting CF card

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried the second 256MB card, because of the fact that it is not giving me 'HDD controller failure' I tried to format it using Diagnostics ROM that is build inside AMI BIOS, and weird thing happen. It said it was formated and yet it wasn't. When connected to other PC it got all the files

Reply 21 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PM sent.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-11-29, 12:15:

I have tried the second 256MB card, because of the fact that it is not giving me 'HDD controller failure' I tried to format it using Diagnostics ROM that is build inside AMI BIOS, and weird thing happen. It said it was formated and yet it wasn't. When connected to other PC it got all the files

Please be careful with the Low-Level Format routine. Years ago, I lost a CF card while playing with it. 🙁
Also, it won't replace the soft format, anyway. FDISK/FORMAT are still required to set up a DOS partition with FAT.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 24, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have booted that laptop from real HDD. Installed DOS onto Cf card, made its image using Win32DiskImager and recorded it onto HDD. Now it is working with CHS of the CF card, so despite it being 20GB drive it's working. Now I onlt need to fix that FDD.