VOGONS

First post, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I just ordered a Tualatin 1.4Ghz P3 as I read it was the fastest of the socket 370 chips. I can't seem to find any info if this board supports it (Tyan S1834). The seller has 30 day returns so I figure its worth a shot but wondering if i should just cancel. Paid $75 for it so if it does not work, its going right back/I will just cancel the order if someone on here already knows that it does not work. I currently have a P3 1.0Ghz (Coppermine I think they called it?)

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could support them but personally I would cancel before you chase the rabbit down the hole.

If its a dual slot 1 board board its harder.

Without slotket adapters, or knowing if the board will support them 1st isn't wise. Most of the readily available slotket adapters dont support Tualatin atleast without modification. The ones that do can be seperatated into 2 categories, works with a Lin Lin adapter or one of those Korean guys interposers or just works. I would read up personally about what kinda challenges you might face 1st.

If its a dual socket 370 board its easier.

You will also need Microcode update in the BIOS, and if you don't know or have a official BIOS from tyan that supports Tualatin, than you'll have to mod the bios and insert the microcode yourself.

Thats a dual slot 1 board and if you want to run 1 cpu you might need one of those dummy CPU blanks for the other slot.

Its a multi layered thing so some things to think about. Because your asking I'm assuming that you dont know so forgive me if it sounds like Im preaching.

Reply 2 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What Warlord said. What Slocket are you going to use ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 10, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

99,999% of the boards work without adding microcode so that is the least of things to worry about.
Tyan S1834 has a regular Award BIOS, nothing special about it and its VIA chipset works with Tualatin if you mod the slocket or source Powerleap/Upgradeware adapter.

Easiest to get it to work with single, much more difficult with dual Tualatin because not many slockets can be modded to that (Asus S370-DL, MSI Master are few examples).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 4 of 10, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly idk what a slocket even is. I upgraded from an 866Mhz to the 1Ghz a couple years ago. I didn’t research anything and it just worked. I noticed this tualton has an IHS which is what made me curious if the cpu cooler mount was the same. I emailed the seller for a return. Ended up just buying it out of excitement yesterday then started researching. The thing I hate about eBay is unlike Amazon you can’t just cancel. Have to send an email and what not and wait.

Reply 5 of 10, by Twisted Six

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The UpgradeWare 370T slotket will run them dual without issues. They're nearly impossible to find now though. I had them running in a P2B-D v1.06, it could be a little cranky at times; mainly because of the FSB overclock...but I also ran it in a Tyan dual slot (don't remember the model but VIA chipset), flawlessly stable.

Reply 6 of 10, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The seller still hasn’t replied so maybe I’ll get it anyway. When you guys say “dual slot” what does that mean? The board does have slot 1 and a regular 370 socket. I just want to run 1 cpu. Does the cpu physically not fit in the same place my current cpu is in eg the standard socket?

Reply 7 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tyan S1834 is a dual CPU motherboard, did you read yours model wrong?

>VIA Apollo Pro133A

doesnt support tualatin, new cpu wont start
you could have upgraded motherboard instead to gain ~20% speed bump

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 10, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-10, 18:04:
Tyan S1834 is a dual CPU motherboard, did you read yours model wrong? […]
Show full quote

Tyan S1834 is a dual CPU motherboard, did you read yours model wrong?

>VIA Apollo Pro133A

doesnt support tualatin, new cpu wont start
you could have upgraded motherboard instead to gain ~20% speed bump

Wow I did its S1854.

Reply 10 of 10, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-11, 03:31:

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/tyan-s1854
tualatin wont work without modding/rare converters

Oh well. Thanks for your help!