VOGONS

First post, by Raph33BDX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

New here! 😀

I recently found two old pc cases and a box with some random stuff (ram sticks and a few AGP cards) in my attic and thought I would give a go at building a nice DOS gaming pc.

One is an Olivetti PCS40 with a 486DX33, 8Mo ram and an Oak OTI087 1Mo on a FIC motherboard, VT486-VC VT82C495, with I/O controller card.

The other, more recent, an IBM Aptiva 2144 131SLI, with a Pentium 166MMX (originally a P75 but I replaced it some years ago), 24Mo EDO, an inbedded Trident TGUI9680 graphics card, not sure about the amount of ram but the two extra ram chip slots are occupied. There's also a Sound Blaster Vibra16S sound card. From what I can remember, this was a cheap watered down version of the SB16.
It has an adapter card with 3 ISA and 2 PCI slots.

1671992248119.jpg
Filename
1671992248119.jpg
File size
247.26 KiB
Views
File comment
ISA/PCI board
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Not sure about the motherboard, chipset is Opti82C556/557M, there are several places with info that looks relevant to it, such as "FRU-11H8440" and " Pro57A Rev. 4.0".
Does anyone know this board? Is this base setup suited for DOS games?

I can't test the Olivetti as I do not have a suitable keyboard (keyboard port is not PS/2)

Here are a few pictures of the motherboard I took out of the case for cleaning.

MB Ibm Aptiva 2144 131 SLI.jpg
Filename
MB Ibm Aptiva 2144 131 SLI.jpg
File size
547.12 KiB
Views
File comment
unknown motherboard
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Raph33BDX on 2022-12-25, 19:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These are OEM boards made for the OEM by FIC/Acer.

Not clear what you think to gain by knowing the exact board, you can just read the pictures. No idea about the FIC/Olivetti, but the IBM:
- OPTi Viper chipset
- 4x 72p SIMM, probably with 8MB in each slot for total of 32MB
- slot for cache (possibly COAST, but second slot reeks of a more proprietary solution) but none installed.
- onboard I/O care of the SMC chip. 2x IDE, 1x FDD, serial and parallel - and 2x PS/2 on the LPX backplate.
- Trident TGUI9680 with 2MB DRAM

The OPTi Viper was an early Pentium design with poor performance and lack of cache will only make it worse. However that shouldn't be a big problem in DOS. Would work fine for later DOS games. I'm no big SB16 fan (Vibra or otherwise), but exactly how bad the card is can be determined if you look up the CTxxxx model number and check here: Sound Blaster: From best to worst

As for the Olivetti/FIC, I can't find anything on the "VT486-VC", so can't really comment. Sure that keyboard interface isn't just DIN? In which case it's electrically compatible with PS/2, so not an issue. 486DX-33 is about the sweet spot for early DOS games if the board has a turbo-function to slow it down to XT levels.

Reply 2 of 4, by Raph33BDX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!
Yes, keyboard port is DIN, so I'll get an adapter for it.

Therea are two CTxxxx numbers on the card, one on the PCB and one on the chip itself, but I don't see them in the list.
PCB: CT2800
Chip: CT2504-TCQ

The problem I have now is that the CPU fan and PSU fan are horrendously loud and noisy!
The 486DX33 build is much more quiet.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Raph33BDX wrote on 2022-12-25, 19:48:
Thanks! Yes, keyboard port is DIN, so I'll get an adapter for it. […]
Show full quote

Thanks!
Yes, keyboard port is DIN, so I'll get an adapter for it.

Therea are two CTxxxx numbers on the card, one on the PCB and one on the chip itself, but I don't see them in the list.
PCB: CT2800
Chip: CT2504-TCQ

CT2800 is on the list (the order is more logical/chronological than according to model number, so easy to miss one). It's an early Vibra. Good news is a real OPL3 for early DOS and low self-noise, but beyond that about every bug you could get: both kinds of MIDI hanging note bugs, slowdown when playing 16b audio and MIFI simultaneously and those nasty Vibra clipping/ringing/hissing sounds.

Still, back in the day it would have sounded impressively better than the PC speaker...

The problem I have now is that the CPU fan and PSU fan are horrendously loud and noisy!
The 486DX33 build is much more quiet.

So, fix them. New 40mm CPU fans can be bought new. PSU fan is slightly trickier as you need to open the PSU to fix it. You need to be confident operating around high-voltage capacitors, but if you are, it's simple enough to remove the old one with worn-out bearings and put in a new one. I like to use Noctua (Redux) fans for the purpose as they are very quiet but still manage to move a decent amount of air.