VOGONS

First post, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, first post, so thanks for having me! Obviously I've been reading this site for a while, but now I have a question that I can't find an answer for, so I am here to ask for your help.

I recently, after looking on Marketplace for a while, bought a bunch of old computers, mostly 286/386/486, but also some 8-bit computers, and a some slightly more recent things (no later than 2000 though). Also some boxes full of parts. I've so far built up two computers that work well: a 486 DX2, and a 286. My main interest with these is to do some programming like in the old days. I am using the 486 with Borland C++, and I also want to do assembly. I've done quite a bit of 6502 assembly on a homebrew computer, but x86 is a whole next level.

I bought a gotek floppy emulator that I want to use with these computers. I've been using actual floppies so far (there were a couple of boxes of those with the stuff I bought), but so far they've been very unreliable. The Gotek is giving me some problems though. I first tested with floppy images I downloaded from windowldpc.com, hoping they are the right format (edit: I made sure they were the 1.44M images). I copied these to a USB drive (formatted as FAT16), and renamed the files to 000.img, 001.img etc. First try in the Gotek (on the 486) nothing worked, I was getting "Generar failure" errors when reading the drive. The green light on the Gotek did light up though so _something_ is happening.

I then noticed that my Macbook, when copying the img files onto the USB drive, also created a bunch of hidden folders. So I thought maybe the Gotek was trying to read files in those folders, and failing because they're not image files. I couldn't remove those though because the Mac creates them automatically. I then fired up a somewhat newer computer from the batch I bought (with an AMD Duron) which has USB ports, and Windows 98 SE installed. I also installed the nusb driver so I can read the USB drive on there, and remove those hidden files. A very roundabout way of removing some hidden folders, but the only possible one I could think of with what I have. Once that was done, I connected the Gotek to this Duron machine, and see if it would work, but same problem again.

I then tried something else: I tried formatting the a: drive, and that worked! No idea why though. I could even copy files to it after that. I did a sys a: to make a bootable "disk", and rebooted the computer, and even that worked. So that gives me hope because the Gotek seemed to work. But when I plugged the USB drive back into the Mac, I didn't see anything changed. When I clicked on those .img files (and the Mac mounted them), they all contained their original files (install disks for Norton Commander). I couldn't see any trace of the Gotek writing to it, but I know that it did because I've seen it work on the W98 PC.

So yeah, I am not really sure where to take it from here. Could be that the disk images on windworldpc.com aren't the type of images that work with the Gotek? It's kind of hard to find better software to use with the Gotek on Mac too. And flashing the Gotek with Flashfloppy is going to be hard too with the Mac since everything seems to be for Windows. I am hoping for some pointers on what to try next.

Stay at home dad playing around with 286-486. Programming C and assembly. Repairing old stuff.

Reply 1 of 17, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your MacBook isn’t an M1 chip type, bootcamp Windows onto it and use that for flashfloppy?

If it IS M1 (Apple silicon) get a trial of VMware Fusion 13, and run Windows as a VM.

Reply 2 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2022-12-28, 15:45:

If your MacBook isn’t an M1 chip type, bootcamp Windows onto it and use that for flashfloppy?

If it IS M1 (Apple silicon) get a trial of VMware Fusion 13, and run Windows as a VM.

Oh good idea, I might try that. Would it theoretically be possible though to make a USB drive from macos that works with the Gotek? Should it be possible to just copy img files to the root of the USB drive and have it work? If it's somewhat of a manual process, that would be ok too. For now though, I am not even sure if these disk image files I am downloading from winworldpc are the correct format for the Gotek.

Stay at home dad playing around with 286-486. Programming C and assembly. Repairing old stuff.

Reply 3 of 17, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve never tried manually creating the folder/file structure on my GoTek, I’ve always used FlashFloppy, and unfortunately my PC with it installed is in storage, so I can’t test it out for you.

I can however state that I’ve got a good 10-15 images from WinWorldPC on my Gotek and they all work just fine.

Reply 4 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! This is perhaps old news, but I had some trouble with my first Gotek, too.

Gotek fails floppy drive test

After that, I flashed the Gotek with Flash Floppy and had no trouble anymore since.

FlashFloppy, an open source firmware for Gotek drives

The flashing procedure wasn't complicated, just a bit cumbersome (back then).

Namely, both reseting the Gotek and establishing a serial connection simultaneously.
- I simply was to lazy to solder a push button. 😂

Newer Goteks may use a different PCB/FPGA and perhaps can be flashed easier, not sure.

Good luck! 🙂🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2022-12-28, 17:15:

I’ve never tried manually creating the folder/file structure on my GoTek, I’ve always used FlashFloppy, and unfortunately my PC with it installed is in storage, so I can’t test it out for you.

Do you know if there are folders? Or just files? I've only tried putting files in the root of the drive.

paradigital wrote on 2022-12-28, 17:15:

I can however state that I’ve got a good 10-15 images from WinWorldPC on my Gotek and they all work just fine.

This is really good information. One big unknown to cross off the list!

Reply 6 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-12-28, 17:39:
Hi there! This is perhaps old news, but I had some trouble with my first Gotek, too. […]
Show full quote

Hi there! This is perhaps old news, but I had some trouble with my first Gotek, too.

Gotek fails floppy drive test

After that, I flashed the Gotek with Flash Floppy and had no trouble anymore since.

FlashFloppy, an open source firmware for Gotek drives

The flashing procedure wasn't complicated, just a bit cumbersome (back then).

Namely, both reseting the Gotek and establishing a serial connection simultaneously.
- I simply was to lazy to solder a push button. 😂

Newer Goteks may use a different PCB/FPGA and perhaps can be flashed easier, not sure.

Good luck! 🙂🤞

Oh yeah I've seen those ports in my search for answers 😁 It seems like first order of business should be to find a way to flash Flash Floppy onto my Gotek. It does have the newer chip (the Artery). It's good to know I can use serial communication too. Maybe I can use an FTDI for this?

Reply 7 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wkjagt wrote on 2022-12-28, 19:00:

Oh yeah I've seen those ports in my search for answers 😁 It seems like first order of business should be to find a way to flash Flash Floppy onto my Gotek. It does have the newer chip (the Artery). It's good to know I can use serial communication too. Maybe I can use an FTDI for this?

Hi there! Yes, should do, I think. I had a PL2303 however, I think. That CH340 should do, too.

You know, there was that FTDI affair in the past..
Certain FTDI driver releases were detecting clones and changed USB ID so that the clones got bricked.
Unfortunately, there is/was no official way to buy FTDI chips for individuals,
so many chips on market were clones without anyone really knowing how to tell them apart.
Anyway, that's an old story and a bit off-topic, it just kame to mind. 😅

On Flash Floppy site, there might be hints how to flash the new FPGAs, too.
But my memory is a bit sketchy about it. 😅

Edit: Mac OS X can read FAT12 floppy images out of box, too.
I simply changed file extension from *.IMA or *.IMG to *.DMG and it worked.
Anyway, associating *.IMA files in Mac OS X with the image utility should work, too.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just learned something new. If you hold both buttons on the Gotek when powering up (with a USB drive inserted), it formats the drive. You can see it count up to 999. From what I've read, it creates 1000 partitions. However, when I plug the drive into my Mac, or even the Windows 98 PC I'm testing all this on, only one partition (called `FDISK000` shows up, and it's 1.44mb in size. I can write a file to that one partition from my Mac and read it from drive A: on the Win98 PC. So all this again shows that at least the Gotek is functional, which is good news. I just wish I had access to all the partitions. Well, actually I wish it didn't use 1000 partitions, but at least it would work somewhat and I could write a script to automate the handling of all those partitions. But hey, at least I went from the thing not working to being able to use it to replace ONE floppy disk 😁

EDIT: I also learned something else. When the weirdly partitioned USB drive is in the Gotek, I can switch between all the "floppies" with the two buttons, and read from / write to all of them from the PC I am testing it in. This is somewhat useful I guess? But not at all what I want, but proves the next step: the Gotek can access all 1000 floppies.

Reply 9 of 17, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wkjagt wrote on 2022-12-29, 16:57:

I just learned something new. If you hold both buttons on the Gotek when powering up (with a USB drive inserted), it formats the drive. You can see it count up to 999. From what I've read, it creates 1000 partitions. However, when I plug the drive into my Mac, or even the Windows 98 PC I'm testing all this on, only one partition (called `FDISK000` shows up, and it's 1.44mb in size. I can write a file to that one partition from my Mac and read it from drive A: on the Win98 PC. So all this again shows that at least the Gotek is functional, which is good news. I just wish I had access to all the partitions. Well, actually I wish it didn't use 1000 partitions, but at least it would work somewhat and I could write a script to automate the handling of all those partitions. But hey, at least I went from the thing not working to being able to use it to replace ONE floppy disk 😁

That’s how the GoTek works as a floppy emulator. If you press the increment button on the front once you are in windows, you can change to partition 001, 002, 003, etc.

Reply 10 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2022-12-29, 17:04:

That’s how the GoTek works as a floppy emulator. If you press the increment button on the front once you are in windows, you can change to partition 001, 002, 003, etc.

Oh ok, I guess it's a different mode, where you never have to transfer files to the USB drive from somewhere else?

Reply 11 of 17, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it's how the normal firmware works (there's a Windows program to allow you to easily backup the single disk images to files and back), consider that the Gotek was invented for electronic musical instruments many of which use non-FAT12 disks and that your OS automounting the first "partition" (actually a "superfloppy" non-partition, the virtual disks are just stored sequentially) is not intended!

That's probably a big part of why these aftermarket firmwares exist 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to flash Flash Floppy onto the Gotek from my Mac following the same procedure as what works for Linux, described here: https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/discussi … comment-3901428. The only difference being that I installed dfu-util using brew and not apt-get because I'm on a Mac. I've only powered the Gotek from a separate power supply to see if it shows F-F (and it does!) but haven't tested further yet. It's close to dinner time here, so gotta go cook for the family 😁

Reply 13 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It all works now!!! Formatted my USB drive as FAT32 (required by Flash Floppy), put some images on it and it just works! Lesson learned: always just go with Flash Floppy.

Reply 14 of 17, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wkjagt wrote on 2022-12-30, 00:31:

It all works now!!! Formatted my USB drive as FAT32 (required by Flash Floppy), put some images on it and it just works! Lesson learned: always just go with Flash Floppy.

Now connect the buzzer so flashfloppy can emulate floppy sounds. 😉

Reply 15 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-12-31, 14:08:
wkjagt wrote on 2022-12-30, 00:31:

Now connect the buzzer so flashfloppy can emulate floppy sounds. 😉

Haha yeah, I saw that somewhere 😁 And there's the other mods too, like OLED display. But I kinda like the aesthetics of the 7 segments display on the 286, especially next to the display that shows the clock speed.

But before any mods, my next step is to figure out how to create images for it. My first try is to take a copy of an existing disk image that I downloaded and is a known working one. Then mount that on my Mac and use it as a 1.44 drive that I can copy things onto. See if that works.

Reply 16 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there. WinImage on Windows is a popular tool for editing floppy images.

Sorting.. You can use a FAT sorter utility for this purpose.

Windows
https://www.y-m-e.net/2010/08/fat-sorter-nun- … ie-reihenfolge/

Mac OS X and *nix
https://fatsort.sourceforge.io/

PS: I've installed a buzzer back then.
It's a nice aural indicator for floppy drive activity.

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 17, by wkjagt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh FAT sort looks interesting! I configured Flash Floppy to sort by filename with a specific naming convention. They call it indexed mode: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Ini … up#indexed-mode

I'll also look at fat sort though, it might be more convenient, thanks for the suggestion!