VOGONS

First post, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I recently found a New Media Basics PCMCIA Gameport Adapter for my Toshiba 500CDT Laptop that I purchased for DOS and Windows 95 Gaming.

I installed the card, and Windows 95 Detected it right away. However, when I tried to install the drivers that I downloaded, Windows said that there were no drivers for the device in the selected location. I copied the drivers both to a floppy and to the hard drive, and I even tried a few different version of the drivers to see if that would help. I also downloaded a couple versions from the archived New Media Corp. Site just to be sure I had the right ones. None of that worked.

I also tried manually installing the drivers by using Add New Hardware / Have Disk / and directly selecting the INF file. It did install the driver, but even when I restarted the computer and reinserted the PCMCIA Card after removing it and removing it from Device Manager just to be sure, it still didn't use the installed driver and asked for a disk, then gave the same error message about no driver in the selected location.

The card is reporting its name correctly to windows, and I even tried up use "update driver" from the device manager without success. The card does seem to be functioning properly as it does give power to the Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick that I plugged into it. My next step is to test it with the DOS Drivers only. The person I bought it from said it was working correctly very recently.

My other suspicion is that for some reason, the name reported by the device to the Windows 95 PNP system is not the same as the name of the device in the INF file itself, and that's why Windows doesn't think the drivers are a match for the device. Is there something I can edit in the INF file to force Windows 95 to recognize the driver as correct for the device? I can post the text from the INF file later today if needed.

Thanks in Advance!