VOGONS

First post, by unterwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I, out of curiosity, disconnected an external floppy drive from a running Toshiba 400CDT and a second later the laptop powered off and never powered on back again. Now it just blinks with the orange AC led when the power button is pressed. Service manual says it means that "AC power cord’s voltage supply is abnormal or the power supply is not functioning properly". Voltage has obviously nothing to do here as the led blinks even when the AC power cord is disconnected. So I have no idea what it means.

I observed similar blinking behavior some minutes before the accident. Then I disconnected the power cord and the battery and it helped. Now nothing helps, the laptop just doesn't power on anymore.

So I wonder was it me who killed the motherboard by disconnecting the external floppy drive from a powered on system, or the laptop was about to die anyway. I can't find any User guide for this model online to learn what was the vendor recommendations for connecting/disconnecting of the external floppy drive, so any information on this will be appreciated.

Let me know if you hotplugged an external floopy drive to your Toshiba (T21xxCx or T4xxCDT) without causing any damage.

I am going to try another PSU with this motherboard to see if it's a PSU problem. Does it make any sense or is it definitely the motherboard who died?

Reply 1 of 4, by gilly76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the user manual for the 430CDS (The CDS is the same as the CDT but a different monitor)

https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Tosh … er%20Manual.pdf

Page 22: You may attach the external diskette drive with the computer on or off. If you attempt to use the diskette drive and it is not attached to the computer, the computer displays an error message

Reply 2 of 4, by unterwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your reply. Looks like it wasn't me. I disassembled the laptop and out of the blue it is working again. There were two unscrewed screws inside the case. So my only guess is that some of them shorted something on the motherboard causing such effect.

Reply 4 of 4, by GrzesiekOpowiada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gilly76 wrote on 2023-01-12, 01:04:

Nice, always happy to know one of those is running (i'm also a member of the 400CDT line (440CDT)

I have also joined 400CDT club 😀

BTW. Have you tried in this some other CD-ROM other than XM-1202B? I am looking for some replacement, because mine is dead 🙁.