VOGONS

First post, by DarkHollow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mainly need to know if the jumpers are set right since putting together this era of hardware is new to me.

The motherboard is Newtech VX3-2b. It's chipset is Intel 430VX. The cpu i want to use is AMD-K6 200ALR.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/newtech-smt-vx3-2b
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6/AMD-K6%20200%20-%20AMD-K6-200ALR.html

As per the picture my motherboard's jumper's are as follow:
- Voltage Configuration (VID0-VID4) is set to 2.9v (same number as on the cpu. i think that's how this works?).
- Single/Dual Voltage Configuration (JP10) is set to Single Voltage CPU.
(the jumper was already on the board, i left it there since my cpu only as the 2.9v present on it; and i've seen pictures of k6 cpu's which have for exemple 3.3v i\o written next to that; which i assume those are dual voltage cpu's.)
- CPU External Clock (BUS) Frequency Selection (FS0/FS1/FS2) is set to 66mhz. (on cpu-world my cpu is stated to have 66mhz bus so i'm sure this is set right)
- CPU : BUS Frequency Ratio (BF0/BF1/BF2) i think i set it properly to a 3x clock multiplier but i really am not sure on this one.

Main question is are all of these properly set?

Other small questions:
- What is the 6 pin header under the AT keyboard port used for?
- Are the JP4, JP5 & JP6 headers correctly set?
- What is the JP1/JP2 header used for? (has ten pins and is empty)
- There's another jumper with R57 under it and SMI next to it. It is empty but again what is it used for?

I included the diagrams i used for the voltage and bus configurations as well as 2 pictures of my motherboard with the jumpers identified.

What i want with this build:
I will either make a DOS/Win95 or Win98SE build.
If DOS/Win95 build i will likely put a SoundBlaster 16 ISA card with an S3 Virge 2mb ISA card.
If Win98 i will use a pci Creative Labs soundcard from like 1999 or 2001, with an ATi Rage XL 8mb. (if compatible i may use them in the DOS/Win95 build)
Of course i might change these but for now these are what i have ready on hand. I also have one 4mb intel gpu (i think it's pci but must verify need to find it), one 16mb and one 32mb pci graphics card which may work for the Win98SE.
I also got some 64mb and 128mb pci gpu's mainly a bunch of Radeon stuff but i don't think this motherboard would handle them.
For ram the EDO ram installed are of OEMax brand and i think are 2x8mb and 2x 16mb sticks or double these numbers.
When everything is up and running i will first update the bios, then install the OS. I will use CF/SD cards with adapters for easy file transfers mainly.

I have a bunch of working hard drives from the era and later one WD Caviar around 425mb, some 1,2,4 and 6gb hard drives. Have one 20 two 40 and one 80gb hard drives too. I will also use one of these at least for those hard drives sounds 😀 I have a bunch of CD Drives from 4x i think the oldest i have to 52x. Got 3 DVD Drives one from late 90's the rest early 2000's that would be fitting. I've got lots of 3 1/2 inch floppy drives and 5 1/4 floppy drives (2x 360kb drives from my AT&T 6300, one or two 720kb drives, and two-three 1,2mb drives). The setup would have one 3 1/2 drive, one 5 1/4 drive (most likely a 720kb or 1.2mb one), one CD + one DVD drive, and one or two CF/SD card + one or two hard drive (2 or 4 storage disks).

Now this brings me to the last question, what ATX PSU should i use with my ATX-AT psu adapter to use all this stuff? Would a Seasonic S12III 500w or 650w be enough?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi DarkHollow,

Welcome to Vogons!
I will try to help you with the jumper settings on this nice i430VX board.

- Voltage Configuration (VID0-VID4) is correctly set to 2.9V Vcore.
- Single/Dual Voltage Configuration (JP10) needs to be set to Dual Voltage CPU, so remove the jumper on JP10. The AMD K6 is a dual voltage CPU and your K6 needs 2.9V Vcore and 3.3V Vio. I don’t know why your K6 only indicates the Vcore value, but I think it’s just an omission.
- CPU External Clock (BUS) Frequency Selection (FS0/FS1/FS2) is correctly set to 66mhz.
- CPU : BUS Frequency Ratio (BF0/BF1/BF2) is presently set to a 3.5x multiplier, so with this setting you would overclock the K6 to 233MHz. For a 3x multiplier, use the Pentium setting.
This is the complete BF[0-2] information for AMD K6:

K6 multiplier BF setting.png

Without a motherboard manual, my best guess for the other jumpers/headers is:
- 6 pin header under AT keyboard connector: header for PS/2 keyboard or mouse bracket?
- JP4 jumper: BIOS flashchip 5V/12V programming voltage selector or flash disable/enable selector?
- JP5 jumper: unknown.
- JP6 jumper: 3.3V/5V DIMM voltage selector?
- (JP1)JP2 header looks like an USB header for an USB bracket.
- SMI jumper: stands for System Management Interrupt that can put the CPU is a very low power state. Used for enhanced Power Management if the CPU supports it. I would leave this jumper open.

For this build, I think a 350W or 400W power supply is sufficient.

Good luck with the build!
Jan

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 2 of 8, by DarkHollow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Chkcpu.
Thank you for your helpful reply.

- For the JP6 jumper; assuming it is for selecting DIMM voltage, would it's use be relevant when using either EDO or SDRAM? Would the jumper need to be absent or present when using either type of ram?

- Oh also another question, with a K6 like mine do i need a processor heatsink/fan or can i just leave it like it is? I remember reading that some older cpu's didn't need them, but i think it's processors that are 100mhz and lower. I don't remember if mine previously had one since the original pc was dismantled in 2005 and there's a sticker on it so i assume it did not have one previously.

- To set my cpu bus frequency ratio to 3x multiplier is this the proper setting, as in the picture i attached? Sorry i just had trouble reading that part of the diagram the first time for some reason.

Thank you very much. I'll try to find my motherboard's manual and give it a read, it should give me basic knowledge relevant to motherboard's of that time as a plus should i ever need to setup another one. Now i just need to find a nice looking case and order the psu and cf/sd adapters then i can get working on it.

Reply 3 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will definitely need a heatsink.

In general you can just try these on bf0/1 until bios reports 200mhz

Bf0 bf1
1 2 1 2

2 3 1 2

1 2 2 3

2 3 2 3

Bf2 is usually used for speeds above 233mhz

Your chip may or may not support that. I kinda doubt it.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2023-01-13, 20:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 8, by DarkHollow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, Sphere478.

Your written table made it easier to understand.
I'll order a Socket 7 heatsink too then!

Reply 5 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DarkHollow wrote on 2023-01-13, 17:02:

Thank you, Sphere478.

Your written table made it easier to understand.
I'll order a Socket 7 heatsink too then!

They don’t heat up crazy fast. But make no mistake, they will get hot So keep your finger on it and turn it off when hot. So you can test it in the meantime. Just turn it off when it gets too hot to keep finger on 😀

You can probably turn it on fast enough to see post screen then turn off. (Keep finger on it)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 8, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DarkHollow wrote on 2023-01-13, 14:06:

Hi Chkcpu.
Thank you for your helpful reply.

- For the JP6 jumper; assuming it is for selecting DIMM voltage, would it's use be relevant when using either EDO or SDRAM? Would the jumper need to be absent or present when using either type of ram?

From your motherboard picture, I see a 3-pin header under JP6. So the selection will be jumper on pins 1-2 or 2-3.
Assuming JP6 doesn't do anything with the SIMMs, and if the SIMMs you have on the board are original, just leave JP6 as it is now.

- To set my cpu bus frequency ratio to 3x multiplier is this the proper setting, as in the picture i attached? Sorry i just had trouble reading that part of the diagram the first time for some reason.

Yes, with BF0 = 1-2 and BF1 = 2-3 (and BF2 = 1-2 or open) you get x3.

Thank you very much. I'll try to find my motherboard's manual and give it a read, it should give me basic knowledge relevant to motherboard's of that time as a plus should i ever need to setup another one. Now i just need to find a nice looking case and order the psu and cf/sd adapters then i can get working on it.

When you've found the manual for this VX-2b board, please share it here.

Jan

Edit: I fully agree with Sphere478, you definitely need a heatsink or heatsink+fan on these K6 CPUs!

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 7 of 8, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe J6 could be used for voltage selection between 5V for EDO DIMM or 3,3V for SDRAM DIMM, like on some other mainboards?
Using SDRAM memory is faster in any case, if you have the option.

Reply 8 of 8, by DarkHollow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, thanks for the suggestions and helpful information everybody.
I'll post an update when i get the build going or if i find the motherboard manual.