VOGONS

First post, by finalspace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I found a very old PC in the basement, cleaned it, replaced the bios battery, and fixed the wrong inserted ram (which was probably the reason why the system was kicked-out in the first place).

The system works now and I could install any operating system, but I have a problem now: There are only SCSI CD drives attached and i can´t boot the bootable Win98 SE CD with that.
The SCSI adapter detects properly the bootable CD and automatically assigns the drive B: to it, but when the system searches for a bootable device at the end of the post-process, no bootable device is found 🙁
Yes, the PC has a floppy drive attached, but I don't have any floppy disks here, so I can´t create a bootable disk. I will try to find some but for the moment, i would prefer to use the bootable Win98 CD.

Is there a way I can boot from the SCSI CDROM drive? What do I need to configure in the BIOS and what on the SCSI Bios?
I don't have the full specs yet, but it's a Pentium II 233 system with 256 MB ram and an Adaptec SCSI controller attached to the motherboard.
On the primary IDE cable, i have attached an SF-Card to the IDE adapter thingy - for an HDD replacement.

Thanks in advance,
Final

Reply 1 of 1, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually if the SCSI controller is built in, then you will have options like A, C, SCSI as boot options in the bios.

For add-on cards, you often has to go into the adapter BIOS itself (Adapt c cards were Control-A or Control-H If I recall?) After the POST test to enable boot support.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net