VOGONS

First post, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons,

I have a USB PS2 card that slots into the a PCI connector. Is there any chance I can get this to work on my ASUS P97-S under Windows 95. I've scoured the web but no luck. I'm really not that interested in getting USB to work, I just need PS2 for a mouse.

Thank you

Anthony

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 1 of 17, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly what card is it? If it's https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203687478151 then it's simply a USB card with a USB to PS2 adapter and to get the mouse to work you will first need to get USB working then find a USB Mouse Driver.

Reply 2 of 17, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2023-01-15, 00:49:

Exactly what card is it? If it's https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203687478151 then it's simply a USB card with a USB to PS2 adapter and to get the mouse to work you will first need to get USB working then find a USB Mouse Driver.

Hmmm, I've tried getting USB to work by installing xusbsupp but I don't have the right version of w95 installed sigh!

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 3 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nec "d720102gc" driver

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 17, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-15, 00:23:
Hi Vogons, […]
Show full quote

Hi Vogons,

I have a USB PS2 card that slots into the a PCI connector. Is there any chance I can get this to work on my ASUS P97-S under Windows 95. I've scoured the web but no luck. I'm really not that interested in getting USB to work, I just need PS2 for a mouse.

Thank you

Anthony

First, what is an "Asus P97-S" ? I can't find any reference to that anywhere, so I presume that there's a typo somewhere. Can you verify and confirm or infirm this ?

a) If that is late generation AT format board (rather than ATX), it likely has a PS/2 compatible pin header on it to which you could connect a female mini DIN connector to have a functional PS/2 port.
EDIT : Perhaps it is an Asus P2L97-S ? EDIT2: That is unlikely as the P2L97-S is ATX and already has a PS/2 mouse port

b ) If your board has onboard USB ports (1.1 or 2.0), you might as well use a USB mouse. There is nothing to be gained from a compatibility or functionality perspective by adding a card with a USB controller and ports and also an integrated USB to Ps/2 converter .

c) Unless your board has a PS/2 mouse emulation over USB option in the BIOS, you will need to use a rather big (conventional memory footprint wise) TSR program to allow the mouse to work in DOS, this will likely be problematic if you intend to run conventional memory hungry programs. Additionally any PS/2 mouse emulation over USB option your BIOS may have will likely only work with your motherboard's integrated USB ports

d) If you intend to only use a mouse under Windows, you will be better off with a native USB mouse, again preferably on one of the motherboard's integrated USB ports

Reply 5 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 95 never was meant to be used with USB, especially not USB 2.0.
The OEM releases "with USB support" had USB 1.0 support that was flaky, at best.
It was useful for USB keyboards and mice only, maybe printers, too.
Anyway, I'm just saying. Experiments are cool, but please don't expect too much.
Even Windows 98FE wasn't really USB compatible/capable. It was Windows 98SE with WDM driver model that got USB functioning in a kind of stable way.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 17, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-15, 01:35:

I don't have the right version of w95 installed sigh!

You should specify exactly which W95 build you have.

darry wrote on 2023-01-15, 03:01:

b ) There is nothing to be gained from a compatibility or functionality perspective by adding a card with a USB controller and ports and also an integrated USB to Ps/2 converter .

Yes there is when you use a KVM which only has PS2 ports.

Reply 7 of 17, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
First, what is an "Asus P97-S" ? I can't find any reference to that anywhere, so I presume that there's a typo somewhere. Can yo […]
Show full quote
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-15, 00:23:
Hi Vogons, […]
Show full quote

Hi Vogons,

Thank you

Anthony

First, what is an "Asus P97-S" ? I can't find any reference to that anywhere, so I presume that there's a typo somewhere. Can you verify and confirm or infirm this ?

a) If that is late generation AT format board (rather than ATX), it likely has a PS/2 compatible pin header on it to which you could connect a female mini DIN connector to have a functional PS/2 port.
EDIT : Perhaps it is an Asus P2L97-S ? EDIT2: That is unlikely as the P2L97-S is ATX and already has a PS/2 mouse port

b ) If your board has onboard USB ports (1.1 or 2.0), you might as well use a USB mouse. There is nothing to be gained from a compatibility or functionality perspective by adding a card with a USB controller and ports and also an integrated USB to Ps/2 converter .

c) Unless your board has a PS/2 mouse emulation over USB option in the BIOS, you will need to use a rather big (conventional memory footprint wise) TSR program to allow the mouse to work in DOS, this will likely be problematic if you intend to run conventional memory hungry programs. Additionally any PS/2 mouse emulation over USB option your BIOS may have will likely only work with your motherboard's integrated USB ports

d) If you intend to only use a mouse under Windows, you will be better off with a native USB mouse, again preferably on one of the motherboard's integrated USB ports

Sorry the board is a Asus SP97-V. It has a USB PS2 Infrared header on board but as I don't have an ATX form card (they don't seem to be a think outside of the US) I thought the USB to PS2 PCI card would be the best option. It's recognise by windows 95 but there doesn't appear to drivers for it.

Reply 8 of 17, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2023-01-15, 08:14:
You should specify exactly which W95 build you have. […]
Show full quote

b ) There is nothing to be gained from a compatibility or functionality perspective by adding a card with a USB controller and ports and also an integrated USB to Ps/2 converter .

You're right I should have but I only installed it yesterday and I'm not even sure how to find out which version it is. I'll Google that solution and report back.

Reply 9 of 17, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-15, 08:28:

You're right I should have but I only installed it yesterday and I'm not even sure how to find out which version it is.

If you run my SIV32L it will tell you, further why did you install W95 rather than W98SE as with W98SE I expect getting USB to work will be far easier.

Why don't you make up a cable and connect the PS2 mouse directly to the USB_IR_MOUSE header?

Last edited by red-ray on 2023-01-15, 09:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 17, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-15, 08:25:

Sorry the board is a Asus SP97-V. It has a USB PS2 Infrared header on board but as I don't have an ATX form card (they don't seem to be a think outside of the US) I thought the USB to PS2 PCI card would be the best option. It's recognise by windows 95 but there doesn't appear to drivers for it.

Check for PCchips and 'compatible' boards that have the same ATX form card you should be able to get this component easier. I remember having a Matsonic MS6260S that had it (Pcchips M579) Good luck!

Reply 11 of 17, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2023-01-15, 08:35:
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-15, 08:28:

You're right I should have but I only installed it yesterday and I'm not even sure how to do find out which version it is.

If you run my SIV32L it will tell you, further why did you install W95 rather than W98SE as with W98SE I expect getting USB to work will be far easier.

Why don't you make up a cable and connect the PS2 mouse directly to the USB_IR_MOUSE header?

It's windows 4.00.950

I already have a windows 98 machine.

Make up a cable!? 😂

Reply 14 of 17, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote on 2023-01-15, 08:14:
You should specify exactly which W95 build you have. […]
Show full quote

I should have specified "as opposed to plugging in a PS/2 to USB adapter into an existing integrated USB port".

I happen to using a PS/2 KVM along with such adapters .

Reply 15 of 17, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2023-01-15, 13:26:

I should have specified "as opposed to plugging in a PS/2 to USB adapter into an existing integrated USB port".

This is still at best misleading as the SP97 integrated USB ports need an optional header which as op needs to add a PS/2 port he clearly does not have.

file.php?id=155056

Attachments

• USB_IR_MOUSE.png
    Filename
    USB_IR_MOUSE.png
    File size
    232.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 16 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The pinouts on those cards and headers can sometimes vary. I have learned the hard way the best way to probe them is with a scope because hooking them up wrong can fry the ps2/usb controller

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 17 of 17, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote on 2023-01-15, 13:47:
This is still at best misleading as the SP97 integrated USB ports need an optional header which as op needs to add a PS/2 port h […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2023-01-15, 13:26:

This is still at best misleading as the SP97 integrated USB ports need an optional header which as op needs to add a PS/2 port he clearly does not have.

file.php?id=155056

Please keep in mind that I was explaining/detailing my line of thought prior to OP confirming that there were no USB ports on the board (only headers). That line of thinking only made sense if there were directly usable USB ports on the motherboard, which OP confirmed was not the case in a later post. I also mentioned this in point b) from the very beginning (you only quoted part of it):

That all being said, I think we will likely all agree that since a PS/2 mouse port header is present on the motherboard (which we now know), it makes the most sense to source (and modify, if necessary) a mini DIN connector and use that on a Windows 95 machine.