VOGONS

First post, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently got one of the original PS/2 mice off ebay. Seems to mostly work. Problem is with the left mouse click - it is inconsistent and clicks are sometimes missed. I opened it up but there really doesn't seem much in there to try to clean. I sprayed a little deoxit on the switch but didn't make a difference.

I'm thinking the microswitch is on it's way out so I would like to replace it. Anyone know what these specific switches are called and where I can order up replacements? Or any other idea of how to get the current one to work?

Love the look of these and it goes great with my PS/2 machines.

Thanks

Mouse model number is 6450350 if that helps

Edit: I've found some micro switches like these that seem to be similar: https://www.amazon.com/DAOKI-Miniature-Moment … ps%2C133&sr=8-9

On the current switches on the mouse however - there is a fifth pin which seems to be coming off the top metal plate (can see in the front of the picture). A grounding pin I guess? The ones from amazon above don't seem to have that and just have the pins at the four corners. Would that make a difference?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice to see another flat iron mouse rescued.
I frequently canibalized these switches from other mice not worth keeping, to repair my vintage mice.
They seem to be pretty generic for the last 30 years.

Reply 2 of 2, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just an update in case anyone else is looking for similar information:

Replacement micro switch size seems to be 6X6x5mm.

Replaced the switches and the mouse works beautifully now (did both because I figured what the hell, other one will probably die at some point anyway). The clicks are a little louder than the original switches or my other same model mouse - don’t know if that is just because they are new or that the old ones were worn - either way I don’t mind - it’s not obnoxious and this was the era of clicky things right?

I even put it through rigorous testing - solitaire in Windows 3.1