Socket478 (just if i need raw power)

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice. 😀

I don't want to be that guy, but... are you skipping the Slot 1 and Socket 370 generations? 😁

(Seriously though, that's a fine collection. The 478 will likely handle everything beyond Socket 7 just fine.)

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 3, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You still lack an x86_64 IBM...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 3, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-08, 13:46:

Nice. 😀

I don't want to be that guy, but... are you skipping the Slot 1 and Socket 370 generations? 😁

(Seriously though, that's a fine collection. The 478 will likely handle everything beyond Socket 7 just fine.)

Yes, I intentionally skipped from slot1 onwards because it wasn't in my target (Pentium4 I only got because if I needed brute power for some DOS or Win98 games I could run everything in full detail with that, it's not strictly part of the "collection")

I've been trying to source what I consider to be "milestones" from the golden age of computing, when it started to go mainstream but stopped before it got "mainstream". In the choice of CPUs, models associated with those CPUs and also for an aesthetic factor. I only chose IBM because I consider it the company that more than others (for now) embodies the myth of the computer as a calculating machine, especially in the more pioneering and unattainable past of the universities and computing centers of the first multinationals. I didn't go looking for the "gems" nor the "unicorns", I looked for beautiful representative models. Now I'll explain my choice, as always I'm open to your considerations since I consider you all extremely well-prepared people on the subject. So let's go!

1) 5150, what can I say, this is what he coined (IBM and compatible) on all the software boxes of the 80s and 90s. a must have

2) PS/2 This computer is the last to arrive, I've always snubbed it because it wasn't initially interested in that period, but then I said to myself that a collection without PS/2 which perhaps represented the last REAL IBM computer could not exist and so I got the model that for me aesthetically identifies that computer model immediately. Internally then it has the 286 cpu and the ISA bus which allows me a certain degree of expansion.

3) PS/1 this is related to PS/2 because I was missing the 386 and 286 cpu from the collection, if I had taken a PS/2 386 I would have had to get an IBM AT like 286 and (besides costing a lot) I don't like it too much aesthetically. not to mention that I really like the PS/1 case and I wouldn't have had another CPU to dedicate to it...

from here on I think you know why I took the various computers but I'll summarize it briefly:

4)Socket3, this is my favorite and the soul of my collection, I'm tied to DX2 (this is a DX4) and I find the case aesthetically fantastic.

6)Socket7, I consider this the modern version of computer 4 (and in fact I looked for it with the same case model but in a more modernized version just to indicate the link between the two) Inside it is a Pentium200 which I consider a bit the end of the hard and pure DOS era. With this we are in the second and final part of the golden age with 3DFX (which I don't have because I don't like it) and advanced sound cards.

5) socket4, this came after the first two computers (numbers 4 and 6) and it's what convinced me to collect all the golden period. What can I say, the Pentium60 is a myth, in being the first of the very long series of CPUs that made computer science make the leap into mass computing, in being a single model for a single socket, in short, a particular piece must have absolutely.

I've already asked you for suggestions on the amount of memory and sound cards for these models so I won't dwell on that for now. Now that it's complete, all I have to do is add internal components that can further enhance each single model.

Thanks to all the forum for having increased my just good computer skills in these years.

p.s. Actually I also have a socket5 (IBM 330P75) but I consider it almost identical to socket7 and I took it to a house for the summer holidays, not to mention that it was aesthetically identical to the DX4 and the P60. It added nothing to my collection.