VOGONS

First post, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About two months ago I managed to score a socket 3 Pentium Overdrive @ 83mhz on Ebay for a reasonable price. When it arrived I dropped it into my custom socket 3 machine, set the jumpers, it posted, and I was off to the races running various benchmarks and games while comparing the performance to the AMD 5x86 that I was using before.

DOS-CPU.rtf

A month later the machine had issues posting, but after a few startup attempts it booted up just fine. However, a week after that (yesterday) it would no post at all no matter what I tried. I then removed all expansion cards, drives, and all but one memory stick. The machine CAN post, but only with the FSB jumper set to 25mhz lowering the cpu clock to 63mhz. The 5x86 still runs with no issues when I tested it. CHKCPU still detects an 83 Overdrive but at its reduced clock speed.

IMG_20230315_225239_173[1].jpg

Has anyone run into an issue like this with Pentium Overdrive CPU's and how they managed to solve it?

Full specs:
CPU: PODP5V83
Motherboard: Asus PVI-486AP4 (intel Ares)
Cache: 256KB
RAM: 32MB FPM (4 8MB SIMMs)
VGA: S3 Trio64 VLB 2MB-DRAM (Diamond Stealth 64 VLB DRAM)
VGA2: Canopus Pure3D Voodoo Graphics 6MB
Audio: Creative Soundblaster AWE64
Network: Intel Pro100+
IDE: sIDE-3/Plus (for floppy drive) / Integrated VESA IDE controller for Storage and Optical Drive
Other: A two serial port ISA Card, Sintechi SD to IDE adapter, USB Floppy emulator.

Reply 1 of 30, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is your PSU 100% o.k. beyond all doubt?

Reply 2 of 30, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-

Last edited by Nexxen on 2023-03-17, 00:29. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 3 of 30, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might be right about the power supply. It's from an old Dell Dimension from the early 2000's, and I have had one of those fail before on a different machine. I'll try out a different one when I get back from work. Do the original Pentium Overdrives really have L2 Cache issues?

Reply 4 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ODP 's have an internal L1 which makes the boards cache an L2, have a couple of them and they do not like "write-back" enabled in bios iirc.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 30, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The AP4's bios has an option to set MB Cache to write-through. I tried that and it didn't help. Also I never had cache issues prevent a machine from posting; it was always after post when a cache issue would lock up the machine. At least that was the case with my SS7 machine when I try a fsb > 100mhz without disabling mb cache.

Reply 6 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
3dnow wrote on 2023-03-16, 14:22:

However, a week after that (yesterday) it would no post at all no matter what I tried.

What does that mean exactly "it would not post"?
What is the last message that is written to the screen?

Reply 7 of 30, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing on screen at all and no PC speaker beep.

Reply 8 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh that sounds more like a board failing. Runs ok at 25Mhz but not at 33Mhz ? Had a soc 4 do similar (run ok lower speed clocks but not higher) and was bad caps.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 30, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-03-17, 02:21:

Oh that sounds more like a board failing. Runs ok at 25Mhz but not at 33Mhz ? Had a soc 4 do similar (run ok lower speed clocks but not higher) and was bad caps.

i second this, bad caps or maybe a vrm not powerful enough... the pentium overdrive can be quite power hungry

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 10 of 30, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I busted out my test bench power supply and multimeter. The VRMs are fine; they both output their required voltages though they can get quite hot. There is a single electrolytic cap near the socket that is the culprit. There is a sizable voltage drop on that circuit during startup that is only present with the fsb at 33mhz. The cap is not breeched, but it isn't able to help the circuit maintain 5v during startup. It's a good thing these older motherboards have their components more spread out making them easier to work on.

While I wait for my new cap to arrive, I'll keep the fsb at 25 with the P Overdrive. It is still moderately faster than a 5x86 in the games I play a lot on that computer (whiplash, tomb raider, quake, screamer 2) thanks to the FPU. Also Pentium CPU's get a much larger performance boost when using a 3d accelerator card compared to a 486. IME the 5x86 gets about a 50% framerate increase with Glide over software. The Pentium Overdrive can get around a 75% increase (in Whiplash and GLQuake). Thank you for the help everyone! 😁

Reply 11 of 30, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you replacing this capacitor?

pvi486ap4s1.jpg

I can´t believe it´s involved in maintaining 5V stable. This is the PSU´s job.

Reply 12 of 30, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-17, 05:59:

Are you replacing this capacitor?

pvi486ap4s1.jpg

I can´t believe it´s involved in maintaining 5V stable. This is the PSU´s job.

A capacitor is like a filter. It filters out noise by adding current to a circuit to prevent voltage drops and removes excess current during a power spike to prevent over-volting. The capacitor on this board cannot store enough energy to maintain proper voltage to the CPU at startup. It also explains why the computer could run for hours after many false starts in the past, the greatest amount of current is needed during startup as opposed to normal operation. Also my 600w evga power supply with a massive 20 amp 5v rail (100w is more power than the whole computer takes) could not get the machine to post at 33mhz fsb.

Reply 13 of 30, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All true, but at startup during the first fraction of a second this capacitor, if it is fully functional, has a low resistance before it´s completely loaded so it´s an additional burden for the 5V rail.
If the 5V rail breaks down at startup, a new or better capacitor at this place will not help.
Later, when everything has reached some equilibrium, it indeed does improve local stability when transients / load shifts happen.
Are you sure this electrolytic is at the input (5V) side of the regulator? I would expect it to be at the 3.3V side.

p.s. This electrolytic is just about 5 cm away from the PSU connector. Only some high frequency filtering (1nF - 4.7µF) would make sense there.

On the other hand, it seems like the 3.3V regulator is the one on the left, so the right one could be a MOSFET for auto-switching between 3.3V/5V CPUs (reading the VolDet pin at the CPU). If the MOSFET is switching very fast / hard, a local stabilisation for the 5V rail _could_ be necessary to prevent transients.

Reply 14 of 30, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, a "transistor" for selecting 5v or 3.3V and a regulator. Unusual in this way.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15 of 30, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-17, 18:09:

On the other hand, it seems like the 3.3V regulator is the one on the left, so the right one could be a MOSFET for auto-switching between 3.3V/5V CPUs (reading the VolDet pin at the CPU). If the MOSFET is switching very fast / hard, a local stabilisation for the 5V rail _could_ be necessary to prevent transients.

The 3.3v regulator is definitely the one on the left since it gets very hot when the 5x86 is being used and not the overdrive.

I have also heard many things about the Asus PVI-486AP4, and not many of them good; so all of this frustration could be due to it just being one of those motherboards that does not properly support the 83mhz overdrive. I'm still going to replace that cap, and if it does not help, it's no skin off my bones. I did get the PO for the price of the slower 63mhz one.

This forum is really awesome! I used to browse it for days when working on previous builds before I became a member!

Reply 16 of 30, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a thought. Maybe the transistor switch is bearing the heavy current of the pentium overdrive 83? Find a way to bypass it directly to a 5V rail so 5V full power can be delivered direct to CPU with a jumper if your manual have one?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 17 of 30, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HUZZAH!!! I got it to post with no modification! But you would not believe what I had to do.

#1: Set fsb jumper combination to 25mhz.
#2: Power on and go to bios. (Post should display 66mhz)
#3: While PC is running carefully set fsb jumpers to 33mhz.

IMG_20230318_131553_737.jpg

#4: Press arrow keys to make sure the PC is not frozen. If all is well, then exit discarding changes.
#5: The PC will reboot displaying an 80mhz clock:

IMG_20230318_132033_090.jpg

I ran several tests to confirm if the system was performing as it should be. You can check too with the benchmark results I posted previously.

IMG_20230318_130735_132.jpg
Last edited by 3dnow on 2023-03-18, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 30, by 3dnow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_20230318_130912_604.jpg
IMG_20230318_131335_451.jpg
IMG_20230318_131436_146.jpg

At the time of this post the PC has been running the GLQUAKE demos for 4 hours now as a stress test. This confirms my theory that the Pentium Overdrive 83 does not get enough power at startup, but once it gets going it has all the power it needs. This is similar to how an A/C compressor needs capacitors to help it at startup. There has to be an underperforming cap on this board.

Reply 19 of 30, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
3dnow wrote on 2023-03-18, 17:39:
HUZZAH!!! I got it to post with no modification! But you would not believe what I had to do. […]
Show full quote

HUZZAH!!! I got it to post with no modification! But you would not believe what I had to do.

#1: Set fsb jumper combination to 25mhz.
#2: Power on and go to bios. (Post should display 66mhz)
#3: While PC is running carefully set fsb jumpers to 33mhz.
IMG_20230318_131553_737.jpg
#4: Press arrow keys to make sure the PC is not frozen. If all is well, then exit discarding changes.
#5: The PC will reboot displaying an 80mhz clock:
IMG_20230318_132033_090.jpg

I ran several tests to confirm if the system was performing as it should be. You can check too with the benchmark results I posted previously.
IMG_20230318_130735_132.jpg

That is really weird.
So that would mean that the onboard voltage regulator is too weak.
The solution then is to force 5 volts (the CPU has it's own voltage regulator)
I don't know how to do it on this board.
So you could just cut of the VOLDET pin of the P24T, it is T5
http://www.dickhardtstrasse.org/Hardwarehandb … ml?cpu_486.html