VOGONS

First post, by caejr73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought an ATX 20 Pin to AT P8 P9 power supply adapter cable that has the two wires with the female spade connectors at the end to connect to an AT power switch. The power switch I plan to use has 4 male spade connectors underneath to connect to. I did test for continuity on the power switch and there is continuity on each side of the switch when I press the button in from front to back. My question is can I use these types of switches with these types of adapters and if so does it matter how I connect it as long as I choose a side? Does ground go in the front or back male spade connector?

Any feedback from an expert appreciated!

Reply 2 of 4, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My understanding is that he's going to use an AT style switch that has a toggle position, so it should be fine. I did this myself in the past with an ATX-AT adapter inside an AT case. You can connect the two prongs of the adapter to a pair of spades of the AT switch, you don't need all 4 connected.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180106025824/ww … tsSwitch-c.html

Either connect your adapter to what is labelled black+brown, or white+blue.

AT Switch pinout.jpg
Filename
AT Switch pinout.jpg
File size
19.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Confirming. Yes, only two spades need be connected for your adapter, simply pick a side. The other side will be inert.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)