VOGONS

First post, by zzzxtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I often have to re-buy these cheap adapters, they seem to be fragile, especially after you remove/re-insert CF disks a few times. Can notice the soldering is pretty bad. Are there any better alternatives ?
c5e7bc97435b20f6646a0b669b5686f0

Reply 1 of 16, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are, and the prices go up accordingly. Startech units are much better.

I've also had good experience with these: https://www.yawarra.com.au/products/accessori … d-pci-adapters/

Reply 5 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bmwsvsu wrote on 2023-03-19, 02:58:
I've tried several different ones, and the best ones I've used thus far are made by Monoprice. They can be had at a good price […]
Show full quote

I've tried several different ones, and the best ones I've used thus far are made by Monoprice. They can be had at a good price on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

I second this. That's the model I do use all the time. Has DMA lines, too and a 3.3v converter. Acceptable.

For pure DOS systems, I also use this one here. Beware : DMA lines missing. UDMA drivers from FreeDOS won't work.

idecf.jpg
Filename
idecf.jpg
File size
11.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

^ I'm also sometimes adding 1N4007 diodes in series here (0,7 voltage drop),
to drop operation voltage from 5v to more CF friendly 3-4 volts. 😉

The first model showni in this thread is lowest quality from China, I think.
Had a few in the past, too. Has short circuits sometimes, even. Not recommended.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 16, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
I've tried several different ones, and the best ones I've used thus far are made by Monoprice. They can be had at a good price […]
Show full quote

I've tried several different ones, and the best ones I've used thus far are made by Monoprice. They can be had at a good price on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

I use these as well. They seem to be sold under various brand names, but are generally reliable.

The only issue I have with them is the alignment of the slot bracket cutout to be a bit tight relative to the board.

To solve this, I add a slight offset using insulated washers. It's a minor difference in spacing, but results in easier insertion and removal of the CF cards.

Attachments

• CF Card Adapter.jpg
    Filename
    CF Card Adapter.jpg
    File size
    353.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the first adapter shown at the top of the thread because :
1) male connector allows the use of 80 pin cables so you don't have to short pin 34 to get ATA66 & faster
2) have an external activity LED
3) are cheap

But they are fragile. I usually have to add a some solder to the points that hold the metal shield to the board.

I made a bracket design for them that I can print out at my local library. Here's what the finished product looks like:

Photo Mar 20 2023, 1 08 39 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Mar 20 2023, 1 08 39 PM.jpg
File size
145.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 8 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-03-19, 07:43:
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg

I second this. That's the model I do use all the time. Has DMA lines, too and a 3.3v converter. Acceptable.

Are those monoprice adapter available in Europe? I tried to give a glance but they seem based in US

Reply 10 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-03-20, 18:42:
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg

Are those monoprice adapter available in Europe? I tried to give a glance but they seem based in US

Hi there! Yes, they are. They're sold under "DeLock" name, though. Searching for "IDE Compact Flash" gives better results than "IDE CF adapter", from what I know.
Probably, because "Compact Flash" is part of the product name of the DeLock model.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-03-21, 02:45:
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-03-20, 18:42:

Hi there! Yes, they are. They're sold under "DeLock" name, though. Searching for "IDE Compact Flash" gives better results than "IDE CF adapter", from what I know.
Probably, because "Compact Flash" is part of the product name of the DeLock model.

Thank you, I found it, but the price is quite crazy, over 20 eur plus shipping wow!

How can I check if my adapter supports the udma mode? I mean it is enabled according to the os but i'm not sure it means it's actually really using it (i'm actually using the cheap chinese adapter with bracket).

Reply 12 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-03-21, 02:53:

How can I check if my adapter supports the udma mode?

If you have a CF to 40 pin adapter with a female pin connector, you can't go faster than Ultra DMA 2 unless
1) you have an adapter that doesn't connect pin 34
2) you do some soldering to ground pin 34 to simulate an 80 conductor ide cable
3) use a "male to male cross over cable" attached to a real 80 conductor cable.

UDMA 5 with DOM's & CF's

Reply 13 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-03-21, 02:57:
If you have a CF to 40 pin adapter with a female pin connector, you can't go faster than Ultra DMA 2 unless 1) you have an adap […]
Show full quote
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-03-21, 02:53:

How can I check if my adapter supports the udma mode?

If you have a CF to 40 pin adapter with a female pin connector, you can't go faster than Ultra DMA 2 unless
1) you have an adapter that doesn't connect pin 34
2) you do some soldering to ground pin 34 to simulate an 80 conductor ide cable
3) use a "male to male cross over cable" attached to a real 80 conductor cable.

UDMA 5 with DOM's & CF's

I'm using an adapter like the one showed on opening post with a 80 pin cable. for what it worth.
Bios shows ata 100 and windows udma mode 7.

Reply 14 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-03-21, 03:04:

I'm using an adapter like the one showed on opening post with a 80 pin cable. for what it worth.

Really? You have a controller that supports UDMA 7? What is the make & model ?

Reply 15 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-03-21, 03:16:
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-03-21, 03:04:

Really? You have a controller that supports UDMA 7? What is the make & model ?

Man as I said it's what windows reports but I'm not sure it's right since as I said it's a cheap adapter bought from aliexpress.
You can see the screenshots here (sorry for the cross posting): Re: ECS P4S5A-DX+ joys and tribulations