VOGONS

What a fantastic forum

Topic actions

First post, by st31276a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am absolutely delighted to have discovered this forum. Given what has become of the internet lately, even more so.

I have been scanning and reading the old hardware section piece by piece for the last month as I have time, now up to page 180. I really enjoy the detailed discussions about what hardware people use for what purpose and their knowledgeable discussions about it and their experiences with it, just for the sake of reading it.

Until I found this forum, I did not realize "retro" computing was a thing; I thought some people just use old stuff for various reasons, some not even for hobbyist nature. Usually because old stuff is free. (except when you really want something specific it seems)

I have, for example, a 200MMX with 64MB SDRAM on which I installed Red Hat linux 8.0 when it just came out, it has been running pretty much 24/7 ever since in various roles: web server, packet filter nat router, network bridge, samba master browser and wins server, squid with huge lfuda cache, some custom monitoring stuff, direct connect hub, mysql database, etc etc etc. It has a Seagate Medalist 1276a (the one with the aluminium tape around it) that I dug out of a broken packard bell somewhere around 1999. That disk must have nearly 20 years of power on hours on it, the bearings have been singing for the last 10 years but no bad or slow sectors whatsoever. This computer has worked to death some other larger ide drives I used for data storage through the years in it, but not that one. This computer is a "retro" computer by what seems to go through as retro computers on this site, although for me it is still a very useful computer.

Another system I have that might go through as an edge case "retro" machine, is a dual 3GHz socket 604 Irwindale I built early 2006. I used this computer as my main desktop until late 2017, when I built myself a more modern dual Skylake. When I built it, memory was hideously expensive. An affordable amount was 1GB, but I stuffed in 2x1GB regardless, because dual channel. The board is an Intel SE7525RP2 workstation board, I added 2x2GB a couple of years later. The system is currently running the latest Fedora on an Evo 860 ssd connected to a small jmicron pci express sata controller I had lying around. It has 6x 2TB sata drives, two on the motherboard ports and 4 on a silicon image 3124 pci-x card, in an md raid6 configuration. It runs nextcloud, so that the phones and laptops and stuff can all sync to it. It is also used for backups and archiving. It runs great. By no means retro in my book, but a very interesting machine nonetheless. It even ran gta4 like a boss back in the day. Windows Vista was slow on every computer I saw it on, except this one.

I recently rediscovered an old office pc someone threw out years ago, sitting on the shelf in the garage. I booted it for fun and saw it ran windows 98 and was still working fine. It is a 400MHz Mendocino in a slocket on a GA-6VA 2.8 (Via 691 based). I promptly put in the voodoo2, another 64MB dimm (128 total) and a 3c905b to connect it to the internet. (this is why I discovered this forum...) I threw out the noisy Aztech POS and put in a CT2920 with the 1703-A DAC. Since I have not really used windows at all for decades (used to use 95, 98, Server2000 as desktop os because xp looked like a children party 😁 and afterwards vista and 7 as a curiosity, did everything on Linux by then) I decided to keep it as is and use it for nostalgia's sake like the time capsule it is. This is probably real retro computing. I imaged the hard disk, a 6.4GB Fujitsu, and put unreal and ut99 on it so that I could play some of my favourite games in glide. It ran really shittily, so I pushed the memory timings as tight as the bios can go, which improved it a lot. I tried the via memory interleave enabler tool, but it made no difference, guess the bios already does it. I have a 466 mendocino chip lying in a box for an easy "upgrade" and a 666 Coppermine (133x5) that can possibly run at 100x5 in this board if the vrm agrees, but I am undecided if I want to change it (yet?) - the shittiness factor is part of the experience of retro gaming right? I could just fire them up on something new if I wanted them smooth, that is not the point in my opinion.

I have some 286 and 386 boards and adapters and a couple of mfm drives (st225's and so on) which I cannot really use for anything useful, maybe that stuff is retro?

Anyway, thank you for this great forum. I enjoy it a lot.

Reply 1 of 22, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some members even consider early Core CPUs/systems to be retro, so most of your kit would qualify. I think of anything up to the last Core2 generation to be retro. The Skylake is the only system you mention that I wouldn't think of as retro (my main, and newest, PC is Skylake)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 22, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And to think in my mind anything b4 2k0 is retro , and anything pre '79 is vintage , and anything 50's is prehistoric.... however to a 15 year old even my ¬new 2010 MacBook Pro's are old stuff/tech 😁

Hold on to those MFM drives , people are throwing them away , will be a fortune soon.

Maybe you had the wrong vista version , I have a beta vista that runs better on core duo cpu than win7 so I used that vista on the laptop and upgraded to latest servicepack , disabled the frustrating smart from the failing hdd.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 3 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh when does obsolete become retro. S604 is a good example, I was shocked to see how cheap it is compared to S478 or LGA771.

Plenty of people are building retro S478 builds and in 2023 I'll agree S478, AGP, Win98 and maybe just maybe XP is retro now.
LGA771 is also obsolete with basically anything based on that platform also been retired good few years ago, yet I can't think of S604 as anything other then obsolete, maybe because even the consumer grade stuff that came after it was just so much better performance wise? (That said I still have a few S604 servers lying around performing "retro server roles")

One of the main things I like about here vs other computer forums is you don't get the default "just upgrade" response to a question. It's such a lazy response and doesn't answer the question (unless the question is should I upgrade)

Reply 4 of 22, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forums! I felt the same way when I found this place several years ago.

Also, for what it's worth, Aztech sound cards are often better than Sound Blasters in some ways, so don't actually throw them out please. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 22, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Generally my experience of these type of hobbyist forums and equivalent facebook groups are pretty great. Bunch of people, even if relatively small in the grand internet scheme of things, who are interested in one very specific area of what ever tend to behave generally well: there is a common understanding of the subject, which means that although opinions may differ on one specific issue (for example best ISA soundcard), discussion doesn’t evolve to an argument, because people understand the variances and thus the subjectivity of the issue. Also, with old stuff fanboys tend to be quite rare. And finally, because forum is focused on one tight subject, other kind of bullshit such as politics is pretty much non-existent, even on the sub-forums which are for non-subject matter discussion.

And like chinny22 said, in places like this, people tend to really focus on problem solving. Not to go to the easiest route and even recognise that sometimes less is more.

Reply 7 of 22, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember just lurking and reading for about six months before I started posting. It's remarkable how much knowledge on a wide variety of retro topics can be found here. And yeah, this forum does remind me of the good old days as well. 😀

Also, be sure to check Vogons Wiki and Vogons Drivers as well.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 22, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-03-22, 18:29:

I remember just lurking and reading for about six months before I started posting. It's remarkable how much knowledge on a wide variety of retro topics can be found here. And yeah, this forum does remind me of the good old days as well. 😀

I lurked for a long time too, i think many do - there are probably plenty of soon-to-be members out there. It is definitely the best vintage/retro computer forum around

Reply 9 of 22, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2023-03-22, 09:01:

Some members even consider early Core CPUs/systems to be retro, so most of your kit would qualify. I think of anything up to the last Core2 generation to be retro. The Skylake is the only system you mention that I wouldn't think of as retro (my main, and newest, PC is Skylake)

Core2 CPUs are the best CPUs to have for Windows XP if you ask me. They're really solid hardware and while XP doesn't support dual cores, it's easy enough to just turn off a core.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 10 of 22, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote on 2023-03-23, 10:40:

Core2 CPUs are the best CPUs to have for Windows XP if you ask me. They're really solid hardware and while XP doesn't support dual cores, it's easy enough to just turn off a core.

The Home version of Windows XP only supported one physical processor, while the Professional version supported two. That said, as of Service Pack 2, either version could use multi-core CPUs, since that's a completely different thing. So there's no need to turn off anything.

Whether a game would actually benefit from additional cores is another matter of course, and depends on how it was coded. But even in the worst case scenario, Windows could use the extra cores for background tasks and services, thereby freeing up CPU power for the actual game.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 11 of 22, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-03-23, 11:22:
red_avatar wrote on 2023-03-23, 10:40:

The Home version of Windows XP only supported one physical processor, while the Professional version supported two. That said, as of Service Pack 2, either of those could use multi-core CPUs, since that's a completely different thing. So there's no need to turn off anything.

Whether a game would actually benefit from additional cores is another matter of course, and depends on how it was coded. But even in the worst case scenario, Windows could use the extra cores for background tasks and services, thereby freeing up CPU power for the actual game.

Oh hell no, no Windows Xp games would benefit from a second core - it took years for the first games to arrive to support more than one core. The benefit isn't with the second core, it's with how fast and how reliable (not to mention CHEAP) these CPUs are. For a retro system they're a good choice as long as you know that some games refuse to start unless you disable the second core (which takes a few clicks).

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 12 of 22, by st31276a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the replies and the welcomes.

Ozzuneoj - Don't worry, I just removed it; it is now back in a parts box. I will not actually throw it away. Maybe use it some day or give it to someone who will. I found the sound output to be much noisier than the 1703-A DAC on the sb16. I also appreciate the TDA1517 the sb16 has on board which can drive speakers directly.

I think the sentiment about the market determining what is retro makes sense. If it is nearly free, it is just an old slow thing. If it becomes so scarce that it actually becomes expensive again, retroness might explain the phenomenon. Thing is, this is more of an overseas concept for me, nobody around here will pay good money for obsolete hardware as far as I can tell. Just this weekend I needed some more space in aforementioned Mendocino, so I dug out a 7.5G Maxtor jobbie that still seems functional and put it in there. For curiosity I looked it up online and similar ones are for sale for stupid money on the internet, out there in the developed world. Probably retro enough.

chinny22 - I am also starting to develop an itch for s478 again. I actually have my own s478 system which I used between 2001 and 2006 as my main desktop, still sitting on the shelf in the garage. It performed server roles up to about 2009-ish but has been sitting since then. It is quite an interesting pc; it has a GA-8ITXR board with 256MB RDRAM-800 and a 1.7 Willamette SL5UG. It once functioned as a bridge/router with all six of its pci slots plugged with NICs and its onboard lan in use too - 7 interfaces 😀 It has onboard Intel IDE as well as a PDC20265 with an additional two IDE interfaces capable of fake raid. Back in the day I equipped it with two ST340016A's in raid0 and enjoyed the 76MB/sec it gave, when single 5400rpm drives were the norm doing 20-30MB/s.

Reply 13 of 22, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
st31276a wrote on 2023-03-22, 08:08:

Until I found this forum, I did not realize "retro" computing was a thing;

Yes, I think there are roughly three aspects to it:
1) Preservation of old software, by archiving it, and using emulation to run it
2) Development of new software targeting old machines
3) Development of new hardware targeting old machine

So we preserve the knowledge of these old machines and old software, and make it more convenient to keep using them, by being able to combine old hardware with modern things such as network support, SD/CF cards instead of harddisks, and whatnot.
This may also include patching old software to solve bugs or make them compatible with new devices.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 14 of 22, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote on 2023-04-17, 09:08:
Yes, I think there are roughly three aspects to it: 1) Preservation of old software, by archiving it, and using emulation to run […]
Show full quote
st31276a wrote on 2023-03-22, 08:08:

Until I found this forum, I did not realize "retro" computing was a thing;

Yes, I think there are roughly three aspects to it:
1) Preservation of old software, by archiving it, and using emulation to run it
2) Development of new software targeting old machines
3) Development of new hardware targeting old machine

So we preserve the knowledge of these old machines and old software, and make it more convenient to keep using them, by being able to combine old hardware with modern things such as network support, SD/CF cards instead of harddisks, and whatnot.
This may also include patching old software to solve bugs or make them compatible with new devices.

a good way of summarising it

i wonder where a new piece of hardware becomes unnecessary though, as example the 'pistorm' for amiga. it's a raspberry pi that can be added to an amiga to improve performance, but why not just emulate the amiga on the pi.

#1 is to me the most important. as much as i like the idea of writing things to make old hardware useful again, or extending it with new hardware, i accept that the 'installed base' of old hardware as far as older 16 and 32 bit PCs are concerned is now pretty small compared both to newer PCs and to it's own former size, and shrinking continuously. there will be reasons to do it of course

Reply 15 of 22, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome!

Some members even consider early Core CPUs/systems to be retro, so most of your kit would qualify.

I'm one of those members. The first C2Ds released in 2006, that's 17 years. 3-4 years from now there will be a generation of legal adults who haven't been alive when the latest C2Q CPU released. I think that qualifies them to be retro.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 16 of 22, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2023-04-17, 10:25:

i wonder where a new piece of hardware becomes unnecessary though, as example the 'pistorm' for amiga. it's a raspberry pi that can be added to an amiga to improve performance, but why not just emulate the amiga on the pi.

Well, one problem with software emulation is that it always has an extra frame of latency. The entire video circuit is emulated into a framebuffer, and once the frame has completed drawing, it is displayed on the host machine.
So given a PAL/50 Hz Amiga, that means you always have 20 ms more delay per frame than you'd have on a real machine (not including additional delay because of modern digital flatscreens and such).

The ideal emulator would emulate the video signal 'on the fly', but that would require extremely accurate timing, which you probably cannot do in software.

Reply 17 of 22, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-04-17, 10:40:

I'm one of those members. The first C2Ds released in 2006, that's 17 years. 3-4 years from now there will be a generation of legal adults who haven't been alive when the latest C2Q CPU released. I think that qualifies them to be retro.

Yea, funny how that works... I bought a Core2 Duo E6600 at around introduction time.
The machine is still running, and I have Windows 11 on it, Visual Studio 2022 and other modern software.
These machines don't seem to age very quickly.

Reply 18 of 22, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-04-17, 10:40:

Welcome!

Some members even consider early Core CPUs/systems to be retro, so most of your kit would qualify.

When I talk about Core CPUs, I mean the generation after Core2. Some class sockets 1156 and 1366 as retro. I'm on the fence with that. Core2 is definitely retro to me 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19 of 22, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2023-04-17, 11:54:

When I talk about Core CPUs, I mean the generation after Core2. Some class sockets 1156 and 1366 as retro. I'm on the fence with that. Core2 is definitely retro to me 😀

I found the whole naming scheme after the original Pentium to be confusing.
In the early days, every CPU got its unique identifier: 8086, 80186, 80286, 80386 and 80486.
So, when Intel found they couldn't trademark a number, they moved to names: Pentium (which is pseudo-Greek/Latin for 'fifth', so it's a reference to what would have been the 586).
But then what would have been the 686 became the "Pentium Pro", and then Pentium II, III and IV.
So you now had 3 completely distinct microarchitectures under the same 'Pentium' banner: the original '586', the Pentium Pro/'686', and Pentium 4 aka Netburst.
And then Pentium II and III were Pentium Pro-derivatives with extra instructionset extensions.

It didn't get better with Core... Initially it was an evolution of the "Pentium M", which in itself was a Pentium III-derivative (which was a Pentium Pro derivative), as Pentium 4 didn't work very well in mobile devices (although they did try with the Pentium 4M).
It started as the internal name for the microarchitecture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Cor ... hitecture)
But then it also became the product name.
Then they introduced the Core2... okay, technically still an evolution of the Core-architecture... and then Core iX... So now you had products named after a microarchitecture that they weren't based on.
And to make matters even worse, Intel then started recycling the "Pentium" and "Celeron" names for low-budget versions of the microarchitectures used for Core.