VOGONS

First post, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm looking into buying an Athlon XP-M. Here are the two that I'm considering:

AXMG2600FQQ4C
AXMJ2800FHQ4C

People seem to recommend the 2600 over the 2800 but I've also seen some say the opposite. I've found good information on people's experiences with the 2600 but there seems to be a lack of information on people's experiences with the 2800.

Does anyone have any links or stories about the overclock potential of the AXMJ2800FHQ4C?

Any 'off-the-cuff' opinion of which would be the better buy??

Thanks for your help.

-- I was thinking about how these might have been binned and which would have been the higher grade. The obvious choice is the lower voltage 2600 since they're similar speeds but what if one part of AMD's binning process was to stress test at a higher multiplier but at the same voltage, doing this as a proof of stability under extreme conditions test. Temperature tolerance could be another binning process test. Then, could the 2800 be the better the silicon or am I just overthinking this?

Reply 1 of 11, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using the old Corvette/Palomino core in my build. It runs anywhere between 300 to 1600 mhz as a 1200mhz chip. I don't see the need in faster chips as this is plenty fast for any 9x game. Newer games ought to be ran on XP which the Athlon XPs are then quite weak.

This is the chip I'm running:
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile% … M1200AQQ3B.html

Oh and it cost me $5.

Last edited by ptr1ck on 2023-03-24, 18:39. Edited 2 times in total.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 2 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even when knowing stepping and production dates, it's still a silicon lottery. To put it this way, there's nothing so special about the 2800+ that it would induce me to pay more than 10% higher than what I could get "any old" but functioning 2600+ for.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 11, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ptr1ck wrote on 2023-03-24, 18:37:
I'm using the old Corvette/Palomino core in my build. It runs anywhere between 300 to 1600 mhz as a 1200mhz chip. I don't see th […]
Show full quote

I'm using the old Corvette/Palomino core in my build. It runs anywhere between 300 to 1600 mhz as a 1200mhz chip. I don't see the need in faster chips as this is plenty fast for any 9x game. Newer games ought to be ran on XP which the Athlon XPs are then quite weak.

This is the chip I'm running:
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile% … M1200AQQ3B.html

Oh and it cost me $5.

That's a good point considering that 98SE is going to be my target operating system. I too agree that XP needs a stronger CPU. I'm using AM3 as my platform of choice, there's nothing like seeing Crysis on High at 1600p on a monsterous 1100T. Pic related.

am3xp.JPG
Filename
am3xp.JPG
File size
155.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 11, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-24, 18:37:

Even when knowing stepping and production dates, it's still a silicon lottery. To put it this way, there's nothing so special about the 2800+ that it would induce me to pay more than 10% higher than what I could get "any old" but functioning 2600+ for.

Ha, what if they're both the same price? I'll probably just go with the 2600+, I can't see there being that much difference either.

Reply 5 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends on if you want to overclock using the bus speed or not and what the max fsb your motherboard is stable at.

The mobile CPUs are multiplier unlocked so if you are planning on overclocking, it shouldn't matter that much.

If you are just planning on running at stock speed, then get the faster clocked one.

For a point of reference.. on Windows 98Se, a GeForce FX5950U is CPU limited up to around 3.2-3.3Ghz on a Core 2 x6800.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-24, 21:32:

It depends on if you want to overclock using the bus speed or not and what the max fsb your motherboard is stable at.

The mobile CPUs are multiplier unlocked so if you are planning on overclocking, it shouldn't matter that much.

If you are just planning on running at stock speed, then get the faster clocked one.

Yes sir, indeed, I'm running at 166Mhz reference clock and I shall be overclocking, so I will need to utilize the wire trick to unlock higher multipliers. I have a few other unlocked Athlons, mostly Thoroughbreds and Thortons, and one Barton. All fail to satiate my hunger.

cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-24, 21:32:

For a point of reference.. on Windows 98Se, a GeForce FX5950U is CPU limited up to around 3.2-3.3Ghz on a Core 2 x6800.

Oh wow, but dependent on resolution too? Still that's incredible horsepower. I love the FX line.

Reply 7 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 5950U was with 3DMark 2001 at I think 1280x1024which was the resolution I played games at for years.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 11, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-24, 22:44:

The 5950U was with 3DMark 2001 at I think 1280x1024which was the resolution I played games at for years.

Do you know if the bus speed I use will affect the maximum multiplier that will be stable? Another way to ask, would I reach a higher speed if I ran 333 instead of 400? Thanks for your candor.

Reply 9 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It just depends on how far you can push the CPU in Mhz.

I would rather have a little less CPU speed over less bus speed.

You will always be giving up one speed for the other unless you have a motherboard and other components that can run really high fsb and you can dial in the max CPU Mhz close to the max fsb the board can handle.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 11, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-25, 00:07:

It just depends on how far you can push the CPU in Mhz.

I would rather have a little less CPU speed over less bus speed.

You will always be giving up one speed for the other unless you have a motherboard and other components that can run really high fsb and you can dial in the max CPU Mhz close to the max fsb the board can handle.

My problem is that I have only 2 working socket A motherboards and neither do a 400Mhz bus, and only one of them will take DDR400 asynchronously with a 333Mhz bus. Both boards are VIA chipset and the better one is a KM400 I think.

I've attached a thread which starts on page 2 from where I got the notion that the 2600+ is better. I'm relying on the opinion of the user c627627, who seems to have made credible posts throughout this thread which are backed by the XP-M identified within his signature block.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/a … n.603465/page-2

There was also different thread, I think it was on this same forum, which listed the steppings of various mobiles and then people submitted their CPUs tested for maximum frequency. There was a whole list of them and they had sections for the 2400, 2500 and 2600 but not the 2800+, and for the life of me I can't find it now, it was a such a useful thread too.

Reply 11 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a KT7A running. With a 2800+... The motherboard seems to be limiting me to around 2.2 Ghz
though. I'm guessing the power circuitry can't supply enough amperage to run the CPU faster.

As for asynchronous RAM, you probably won't gain much from running the RAM at a higher speed than the bus speed due to extra wait states having to be there.

I do have some better boards for overclocking socket A, but haven't messed with them at all as I was requiring an ISA slot.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK