VOGONS

Information request for SMC I/O card

Topic actions

First post, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anyone identify this card? I had no luck with the "SIO6XX" marking, and no luck otherwise. Looking for jumper setting information, and what perhaps should be in the empty sockets.

Sorry, I just noticed I took the pic upside-down!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 35, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can not find any info, need an FCC ID. Appears missing two PALS and BIOS (would be needed for support of two floppy ports on older systems).
Here is the SMC datasheet..

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-03-23, 23:21:

Can not find any info, need an FCC ID. Appears missing two PALS and BIOS (would be needed for support of two floppy ports on older systems).

No FCC ID either. It's interesting there's no information out there for this, and missing those chips. It looks almost unused and came in an SMC bag which may or may not be original. Looks like I'll be reverse engineering this one. At least the big chip has a datasheet. And I paid little for it.

Reply 3 of 35, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good luck ! You can start with the serial ports, from datasheet PSPIRQ and SSPIRQ are Com1 and Com2. They should go to a 3 pin jumper to set IRQ 3 or 4.
Using the pinout and descipts (pg 4-18) and then from pg 128-130 for the 666GT hardware config might get you started...
Am sure you would have found that already..

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 35, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eesz34 wrote on 2023-03-24, 01:46:
Horun wrote on 2023-03-23, 23:21:

No FCC ID either. It's interesting there's no information out there for this, and missing those chips. It looks almost unused and came in an SMC bag which may or may not be original. Looks like I'll be reverse engineering this one. At least the big chip has a datasheet. And I paid little for it.

Closest I got on wayback was the attached, and I'm not even sure what it is (.lib / .sch files - some kind of schematic??) but the date seems about right (autumn 93) and if you open the .sch files in a hex editor, many of the components / pin blocks seem to be referenced by name. Still might be nothing, but above my pay grade to make any more reasoned calls than that!

Filename
sio6xxe.zip
File size
22.84 KiB
Downloads
40 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-03-24, 04:19:

Good luck ! You can start with the serial ports, from datasheet PSPIRQ and SSPIRQ are Com1 and Com2. They should go to a 3 pin jumper to set IRQ 3 or 4.
Using the pinout and descipts (pg 4-18) and then from pg 128-130 for the 666GT hardware config might get you started...
Am sure you would have found that already..

After having to use 1,000+ page datasheets for microcontrollers this is easy. It'll be a little tedious is all, but it's really only the jumpers I need to trace out.

Reply 7 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-24, 04:29:

Closest I got on wayback was the attached, and I'm not even sure what it is (.lib / .sch files - some kind of schematic??) but the date seems about right (autumn 93) and if you open the .sch files in a hex editor, many of the components / pin blocks seem to be referenced by name. Still might be nothing, but above my pay grade to make any more reasoned calls than that!

sio6xxe.zip

Wow, how did you find that? It is indeed a schematic file and the library file for custom components used on the design, OrCAD 4.10 to be exact. I'm still trying to figure out/get a copy of OrCAD working so I can view it, but I can't even find that file on Wayback Machine or the main search on archive.org.

I won't be sure it's for this card until I can open it in OrCAD but looking through the readable text makes me feel optimistic. And the SMC sticker on the static bag, lack of other identification, and missing EPROM/PALs makes me wonder if it's a reference design for the SMC main chip.

Reply 9 of 35, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eesz34 wrote on 2023-03-24, 20:10:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-24, 04:29:

sio6xxe.zip

Wow, how did you find that? It is indeed a schematic file and the library file for custom components used on the design, OrCAD 4.10 to be exact. I'm still trying to figure out/get a copy of OrCAD working so I can view it, but I can't even find that file on Wayback Machine or the main search on archive.org.

I won't be sure it's for this card until I can open it in OrCAD but looking through the readable text makes me feel optimistic. And the SMC sticker on the static bag, lack of other identification, and missing EPROM/PALs makes me wonder if it's a reference design for the SMC main chip.

Came across it doing a partial text search of all the 1990s URL links Wayback has archived for smc.com...the actual link is here - https://web.archive.org/web/19970715072203/ht … sch/sio6xxe.zip

Reply 10 of 35, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-24, 20:36:

Came across it doing a partial text search of all the 1990s URL links Wayback has archived for smc.com...the actual link is here - https://web.archive.org/web/19970715072203/ht … sch/sio6xxe.zip

Great Work ! You have an incredible talent/smarts when it comes to archive searching. Thanks ! Noticed there are other schems there and some bios files a layer or so up.
Found some old versions of Orcad and will try to load it up <on an old 486> and make screen shots/create .jpg off it if I can this weekend.

Reply 11 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-03-24, 23:28:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-24, 20:36:

Great Work ! You have an incredible talent/smarts when it comes to archive searching. Thanks ! Noticed there are other schems there and some bios files a layer or so up.
Found some old versions of Orcad and will try to load it up <on an old 486> and make screen shots/create .jpg off it if I can this weekend.

Now you convinced me to look through that URL more. And I'm also working on viewing this in an old OrCAD, but am having a hell of a time getting anything to work. If I'm successful I'll also report back here.

EDIT: finally got something working! I just have to figure out how to select a higher resolution video driver and how to load in the SMC provided library. And yes, the reference designators do match the card! Amazing!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Filename
    Untitled.jpg
    File size
    65.83 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 35, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What version of orcad are you using ? Tried v6 and v7 but they complain about a missing SDT.CFG when opening the .sch. V7 did open the .lib and converted it to a readable .OLB file.
Can you export/save the .sch as a .dsn ? If so then you should be able to open it in a Win9x version w/o error. Will try v4.4 and see if it can work OK, supposedly has driver for up to 1280 mode VGA....

Reply 13 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-03-25, 17:56:

What version of orcad are you using ? Tried v6 and v7 but they complain about a missing SDT.CFG when opening the .sch. V7 did open the .lib and converted it to a readable .OLB file.
Can you export/save the .sch as a .dsn ? If so then you should be able to open it in a Win9x version w/o error. Will try v4.4 and see if it can work OK, supposedly has driver for up to 1280 mode VGA....

I'm using 4.20, which is the closest I could get to the version the schematic was created in which is supposedly 4.10. Now, I also dropped to DOS 5.0 because I had a lot of trouble getting through installation in 6.22. Don't know if that is a real issue or not. But the installer would get to a disk and complain about not being able to find files in the disk image that were obviously there. I also switched to PCem so I could use a specific video device (ET4000 in my case) as that was supported by OrCAD. It supports lots of video cards though.

I tried version 6 or 7 in Windows 3.11 and it generated some error when trying to load the .sch. It was Ok with the .lib.

This is one confusing program, but probably not much different than many of the modern PCB layout applications. Not intuitive anyway. I don't see how to save. Copy the .lib into c:\orcadesp\sdt\library, and the configuration file is in c:\orcad\template\sdt.cfg. That's where I set the video driver.

I will try some more with this, but mainly I want to determine the jumper settings which will be easier now. ET4000 is in, I think 1024x768.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Filename
    Untitled.png
    File size
    22.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 35, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eesz34 wrote on 2023-03-25, 22:45:
I'm using 4.20, which is the closest I could get to the version the schematic was created in which is supposedly 4.10. Now, I al […]
Show full quote

I'm using 4.20, which is the closest I could get to the version the schematic was created in which is supposedly 4.10. Now, I also dropped to DOS 5.0 because I had a lot of trouble getting through installation in 6.22. Don't know if that is a real issue or not. But the installer would get to a disk and complain about not being able to find files in the disk image that were obviously there. I also switched to PCem so I could use a specific video device (ET4000 in my case) as that was supported by OrCAD. It supports lots of video cards though.

I tried version 6 or 7 in Windows 3.11 and it generated some error when trying to load the .sch. It was Ok with the .lib.

This is one confusing program, but probably not much different than many of the modern PCB layout applications. Not intuitive anyway. I don't see how to save. Copy the .lib into c:\orcadesp\sdt\library, and the configuration file is in c:\orcad\template\sdt.cfg. That's where I set the video driver.

I will try some more with this, but mainly I want to determine the jumper settings which will be easier now. ET4000 is in, I think 1024x768.

Great ! Hey inside 66xsch.zip from smc site is another set of schematics and a file called JUMPERS.66X (43k), using hex edit look at it and it has a zip header, opened with 7z and set of schems plus another file called jumpers.66x (6k) and is a text file.
It lists the jumpers and what they are. Attached. Should compare to the Orcad file ok and appears ok looking at your card on quick inspection.
edit: added a edited pic of your card

Attachments

• SMC SIO6xx.jpg
    Filename
    SMC SIO6xx.jpg
    File size
    337.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    JUMPERS.6XX.txt
    File size
    6.4 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 15 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-03-26, 00:20:

Great ! Hey inside 66xsch.zip from smc site is another set of schematics and a file called JUMPERS.66X (43k), using hex edit look at it and it has a zip header, opened with 7z and set of schems plus another file called jumpers.66x (6k) and is a text file.
It lists the jumpers and what they are. Attached. Should compare to the Orcad file ok and appears ok looking at your card on quick inspection.
edit: added a edited pic of your card

Oh cool, I was looking for a jumper reference. I found that same file but didn't know what it was because of its weird extension. I will certainly be studying this. Interesting though, neither schematic has JP25 or JP26, although the card and jumper reference has it. Time to trace some connections.

Reply 16 of 35, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eesz34 wrote on 2023-03-26, 02:39:

Oh cool, I was looking for a jumper reference. I found that same file but didn't know what it was because of its weird extension. I will certainly be studying this. Interesting though, neither schematic has JP25 or JP26, although the card and jumper reference has it. Time to trace some connections.

If you figure out where they go/what they do and post it here will add it (with your picture, the text, the datasheet, the schems) to our driver library with creds to you, PC Hoarder and a link to here for the work involved if that is ok.

Reply 17 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-03-26, 03:49:
eesz34 wrote on 2023-03-26, 02:39:

If you figure out where they go/what they do and post it here will add it (with your picture, the text, the datasheet, the schems) to our driver library with creds to you, PC Hoarder and a link to here for the work involved if that is ok.

Sure thing. It might take me some time but I'll report back here.

Reply 18 of 35, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

JP25 & JP26 are both 2x4 8pin blocks. makes me think they might be for selecting a dma channel, possibly for the ECP parallel port.

edit: from looking at the jumper text file, it's either 4 floppy support or (2 floppy & ECP printer port)
I'm unable to identify if the parallel port works in 4 floppy support mode.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 19 of 35, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eesz34 wrote on 2023-03-26, 19:29:

Sure thing. It might take me some time but I'll report back here.

weedeewee wrote on 2023-03-26, 21:08:

JP25 & JP26 are both 2x4 8pin blocks. makes me think they might be for selecting a dma channel, possibly for the ECP parallel port.

edit: from looking at the jumper text file, it's either 4 floppy support or (2 floppy & ECP printer port)
I'm unable to identify if the parallel port works in 4 floppy support mode.

It looks like if LPT is set standard or EPP mode then 4 floppy support does exist (JP6/JP11 and if jp12/Jp14 set proper), def not ECP.
There is a 4 floppy driver for the 661 which is probably the reason for "* indirect 4 Drive support, contact factory", it could be same driver....
Another thing would be good to know is where JP27 and JP28 run to. JP27 could be a backplate ground jumper but JP28 is a mystery, though like JP21 could be related to if ROM is installed.....