VOGONS

The Crystal CS4231

Topic actions

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was just looking through some pics and came across a pic of the Gravis Ultrasound daughterboard that I have [1] and since these boards are kind rare, that it shouldn't be to hard to make a new one from scratch. The only issue is of course the Crystal CS4231.

So, I searched a bit and it seems that this chip was used on a lot of sound cards back in the day and that it might still be available, so technically a reproduction of the daughterboard could be made...

Anyhow... On the DOSdays website [2] I noticed the following description for this chip:

Introduced in 1994, the CS4231 had 16-bit audio converters, analog mixing, supported Ad Lib, Sound Blaster and Windows Sound System (WSS) compatibility. (*NO* SB Pro).

Back in the day I always had my GUS with this daughtboard installed next to a SoundBlaster (PRO or 16).

But.. does it mean that with this daugtherboard installed there is actually/possibly SoundBlaster and AdLib compatitiblity available on the Ultrasound itself?

[1] My Gravis Ultrasound and 16 bit daughter board
[2] https://dosdays.co.uk/topics/fm_synthesizers.php#CS4231

Reply 1 of 2, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's mistake, CS4231 doesn't provide Adlib/SB compatibility.

CS4231 *can* provide partial (PCM only) WSS compatibility, but it must be located at WSS-compatible addresses.
For full WSS compatibility, OPL3 must be added.

So, the daughterboard is compatible with the PCM part of WSS, but the GUS Max isn't, despite the same CS4231 chip on both.
Edit: no, the daughterboard addresses aren't the same as the real WSS, either.
Re: SB compatibility daughterboard for GUS Classic

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.