VOGONS

First post, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. Found one unmarked IO shield among my collection. I forgot to put markings on it. So it probably fits into one of my large amount motherboards, and I would like to find out, to which one.

Any tips how to connect it with motherboard, except to check all motherboards one by one (it will be really lots of work as my collection is already big 😀

Another question, is there some page/gallery with lots of photos of IO shields, like 100 or 200 or even more, maybe I'll try luck there.
I tried to google something but no, always only "one" IO shield picture, eighter I'm finding "list" or "gallery".

Reply 1 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you post a picture, information will come 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 12, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-04-07, 22:31:

If you post a picture, information will come 😀

I drew image. The layout is almost standard old ATX IO shield, with USB put at the end, instead of behind PS/2. As it has gameport, the motherboard is probably between 1999-2003 era.

But I wanted to know procedure, instead to identify just one IO shield. Maybe I'll need it several times in future. 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
W.x. wrote on 2023-04-07, 21:10:

Any tips how to connect it with motherboard, except to check all motherboards one by one (it will be really lots of work as my collection is already big 😀

Another question, is there some page/gallery with lots of photos of IO shields, like 100 or 200 or even more, maybe I'll try luck there.
I tried to google something but no, always only "one" IO shield picture, eighter I'm finding "list" or "gallery".

No tips, you just have to eyeball it. Sometimes they're interchangable and it seems like at one time some manufacturers made an effort to standardize them.

Never seen a gallery of I/O shields although it sounds like an interesting idea.

Reply 4 of 12, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bartonxp wrote on 2023-04-07, 23:07:

No tips, you just have to eyeball it. Sometimes they're interchangable and it seems like at one time some manufacturers made an effort to standardize them.

Never seen a gallery of I/O shields although it sounds like an interesting idea.

The most cool thing on such project would not only be, that you can identify to which motherboard IO shield belongs,
but if you own one, to see the list of all compatible motherboards, between which the IO shield is interchangable.

Reply 5 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not know any ATX backplates/IO that have the KB on right side. Yes some LPX and others do but not any ATX I ever seen. All back plates are shown from the back of the case, your pic seem to be front.
Are you sure it is not like this ( a mirror of yours) ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2023-04-08, 02:28:

I do not know any ATX backplates/IO that have the KB on right side. Yes some LPX and others do but not any ATX I ever seen. All back plates are shown from the back of the case, your pic seem to be front.

The picture was just upside down.

If you look at it with the parallel port on the top, then everything is in the correct place.

It is certainly less common for the USB ports to be at the bottom like that, but not unheard of. The ESC K7S5A Pro has the USB lower than the serial ports, but the audio is below that.

I can't find a picture of a board exactly like this right now, but I'm sure one will turn up here before long.

EDIT: ECS L4S8A is very close but has ethernet above the USB ports:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/ecs-l4s8a-v1.0
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1028/2

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 12, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-04-08, 02:28:

I didn't focus on direction, I just draw layout. I though, it is obvious, PS2 ports belongs to keyboard/ mouse place. 😁
Anyway, your picture is not correct. You've flipped it incorrectly. Well, at least, when you're looking from "outside". Your look is from "inside" (so you are looking at the back of IO shield in your picture)

You need to rotate it by 180 degrees. Then it is correct. (when you want to have PS connectors on the left). So USB is at bottom.

Reply 8 of 12, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that board ECS/Syntax is very close, with LAN port to be excessive. So it's that layout on picture, without LAN port.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/ecs-l4s8a-v1.0

(just upper PS/2 connector is in line with upper connectors. The scheme is not precise in terms of ranges)

Reply 9 of 12, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, found it, 🤣. Went one by one in my motherboard collection. Wanted to evade it, hehe. Took like 10 minutes, cause focused on 1999-2003 era. Started with socket 478 (none of them), then proceeding to socket A, and in middle of them.. bingo. I knew I had to own it, as it was in paper, I usually put notes on it with pencil, but here, nothing was found, probably forgot.
Thank you for the help anyway.

Reply 10 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
W.x. wrote on 2023-04-08, 05:00:

Ok, found it, 🤣. Went one by one in my motherboard collection. Wanted to evade it, hehe. Took like 10 minutes, cause focused on 1999-2003 era. Started with socket 478 (none of them), then proceeding to socket A, and in middle of them.. bingo. I knew I had to own it, as it was in paper, I usually put notes on it with pencil, but here, nothing was found, probably forgot.
Thank you for the help anyway.

Don't leave us hanging here... which QDI board was it? 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11 of 12, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should work for a QDI P6I845 PlatiniX-2 which is s478.