VOGONS

First post, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I start a new job tomorrow, and because of that I went a little buying crazy this past week. Took and bought myself 2 old computers and a sound card with box. I am slowly trying to get my old computer collection built back since I had to sell 99% of my collection a few years ago. I'll post pics once they arrive. I will say though, after looking at eBay, since it is hard to find anything local (FB marketplace, Kijiji), prices have gotten out of control. Systems that are only worth CAD$50 are trying to be sold for anywhere from CAD$200 to $1,200 and most of these systems don't include monitor/keyboard/mouse and in a lot of cases don't even include a HDD. Shipping I have to swallow, but it is just stupid expensive. Anyways, here is what I bought!

System 1: Gateway 2000 GP6-400; Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB SDRAM, 30GB HDD, TDK 24x/10x/40x CD-RW, SCSI CD-ROM, ATI Rage 128 AGP, 200 watt PSU, Nice full tower case, Windows 98SE!
System 2: Gateway ATXSTF OXN Select 1000; AMD Athlon 1GHz Socket A, DVD-ROM, CD-RW drive, Unknown AGP video card, Sound Blaster Live!, 10/100 Network card, 2rear/2front USB, No HDD but Win ME sticker (Was only CAD$42, that's why I bought it!)
Item 3: CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS with box!

I want to get a Live! Drive for the Audigy 2 which is going into my Athlon 64 X2 4400+ S939 system (once I get the motherboard a recap). Still want to get three more systems and a good 17-19" CRT if I can ever find one. Want to get a socket 7 (pentium MMX or K6-2), get a PIII system, not sure if I want to go Coppermine or Tualatin, and then want to get a Athlon Socket 754 system. I am avoiding the Pentium 4 system's as I never really cared for the P4, but I might try and get a Core 2 Duo system. I was going to get a Gateway Slot A Athlon system, but decided not to.

Reply 1 of 24, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very cool! Welcome back to the Win 9x era of retro computing. 😀 Those should be good for that era.

Socket 7 systems are quite fun and perfect for that DOS / early Windows 95 era.

CRTs are nice to have too, but holy heck are they coming hard to come by. At least for any CRT in decent shape.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The GP6 400 was my very first PC (as in belonged to me and not the entire family) I optioned up the video to a 16MB TNT and 10GB HDD (I can't remember what base config was)
It's a but rusty but still lives and stored in my parents garage.
Mine still has the original CPU so haven't tested but safe chance it could take upto a P3 600 Katmai. Maybe more depending on the revision of the motherboard.

You'll have to keep us posted on the upgrade/restore progress

Reply 5 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well my 1st piece has come in! Got the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS arrived first. The only two things missing is the driver CD and the 2-wire digital audio connector.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Box contents... This is actually the first sound card I bought that had the retail box.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know what these audio cable is used for? I've never seen one with 3 connectors on the one end.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This different ends are for hooking up to different sound card / CD drive connectors.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, my first system came in finally. This is the Gateway 2000 GP6-400 system with a PII 400MHz. Started it up and had to install the integrated sound card drivers, then started having BSOD, Windows Protection Error's. Tried formatting the HDD and could only get to 20% then it would freeze. Tried another HDD and was able to get into the setup, but only could get so far before I would get Windows Protection error. Tried removing ram and still getting same issue. Took and removed all but 1 ram stick and then started testing them. Found that 1 stick of 128MB was no good. So now I'm done to 384MB, running a fresh install of Win98SE, has a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM, then replaced the TDK CD-RW drive with a Plextor drive. Found the floppy drive needs to be replaced as only sort of works. Also added an 80mm case fan to the front to bring in some air. Video card is a ATI Rage 128 GL AGP with 90MHz core/memory clocks.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a couple benchmark runs that I did with the system. 3DMark99 and 3DMark2000

Attachments

Reply 11 of 24, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnvosh wrote on 2023-04-30, 14:33:

Well, my first system came in finally. This is the Gateway 2000 GP6-400 system with a PII 400MHz. Started it up and had to install the integrated sound card drivers, then started having BSOD, Windows Protection Error's. Tried formatting the HDD and could only get to 20% then it would freeze. Tried another HDD and was able to get into the setup, but only could get so far before I would get Windows Protection error. Tried removing ram and still getting same issue. Took and removed all but 1 ram stick and then started testing them. Found that 1 stick of 128MB was no good. So now I'm done to 384MB, running a fresh install of Win98SE, has a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM, then replaced the TDK CD-RW drive with a Plextor drive. Found the floppy drive needs to be replaced as only sort of works. Also added an 80mm case fan to the front to bring in some air. Video card is a ATI Rage 128 GL AGP with 90MHz core/memory clocks.

adventures with old computers! its frustrating yet often satisfying when resolved and you've ended up with a decent system there

Reply 12 of 24, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks like an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard with onboard sound. Is it? If so it's a great system for DOS, with Yamaha 74x PCI audio onboard, which contains a real OPL3 FM synth.

Reply 13 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-04-30, 19:16:

That looks like an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard with onboard sound. Is it? If so it's a great system for DOS, with Yamaha 74x PCI audio onboard, which contains a real OPL3 FM synth.

This is an OEM Intel board for Gateway. It does have the 440BX AGP chipset. The sound chip is the Ensoniq 1371 onboard audio.

Reply 14 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2023-04-30, 19:16:

Dell has the Yamaha onboard but the fake ATX connector.
Gateway has the Ensoniq AudioPCi but a real ATX connector.
Life is always a compromise 😜

Reply 15 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my 3rd system in today, just waiting on the second one to get released from stupid customs! This one is a Dell Dimension XPS T700r system. I don't know why, but I really like the look of these Dell's. This one has a Pentium 3 700MHz/256K/100 FSB Slot 1 CPU. I would like to try and upgrade it to the 1GHz CPU. It has 640MB PC-100 SD-RAM, Promise ATA66 IDE card, Turtle Beach sound card, ATI Rage 1280 Pro 16MB AGP video card, CD-Rom, 100MB Zip drive, floppy drive, I installed the TDK CD-RW drive from the Gateway system in this one replacing the Tape Drive it came with. It didn't come with an HDD, so I installed a 6GB test drive for now with Win 2000 Pro SP4. I was looking back thru Maximum PC and it looks like this system was $1,400 to $2,400 USD in Apr-June of 2000 depending on how it was equipped. I'd love to find the Altec Lansing ACS-340 speakers and 17" E770/P780 FD Trinitron monitor and matching Dell Keyboard/mouse to complete this system.

Attachments

• IMG_8551.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8551.JPG
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    inside view
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_8550.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8550.JPG
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    back view
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_8549.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8549.JPG
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Model and stickers
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_8548.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8548.JPG
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front view
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 16 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound card

Attachments

• IMG_8554.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8554.JPG
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Turtle beach sound card
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_8553.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8553.JPG
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sound card front
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 17 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tape drive that was with the system. It runs on the floppy bus. I couldn't see it in windows, so I don't know if I need special drivers or how to set it up. Think it would be cool to get some tapes and get it working. Does need a good cleaning on the inside though.

Attachments

• IMG_8545.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8545.JPG
    File size
    2 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Runs on floppy bus with a special cable
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_8544.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8544.JPG
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Top side
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_8543.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8543.JPG
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    HP Colorado T1000/Travan Tape drive
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 18 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My XPS T500 works fine with a 1Ghz CPU. My motherboard is the one with onboard Yamaha sound which I think is older then your one with no onboard sound so would think your safe to upgrade the CPU.

Even though I owned a Gateway back in the late 90's with slightly different faceplate but same metal case underneath I also prefer the Dell styling accept the cover over the floppy drive, never liked that.

Reply 19 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnvosh wrote on 2023-04-30, 14:33:

This case looks very nice, never seen that one before.
Seems to be in good condition and the air circulation looks like the (as we could see things nowdadys) poorly optimized as was basically standard before the P4/Athlon era.

What does it weigh? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!