VOGONS

First post, by smoke86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

recently I got HP Pavilion zt1000 laptop (Pentium III 1,066 GHz), which is designed for Windows XP and does not even have drivers for other OSes.
But I insisted on installing Windows 98 on it anyway and it really is the pain in the butt.
First of all, it always crashed during Win98 installation (once when keyboard layout command was executed in autoexec.bat, second time at when installer GUI appeared). I managed to do a workaround installing Win98 on other laptop and swapping disk drive after first reboot.
I also managed to track down almost all drivers, but proper AC97 driver and 'unknown device'; I suspect the latter is some kind of ACPI that is not supported by Win98, so no loss there.
I got some drivers, but only one of them KINDA works, midi playback and Windows sounds are OK, but no wav files playback and no sound in games.
I would apreciate if some would help me make the sound work.

Edit: VIA Vinyl driver has the same result - no audio in games, no WAVs
Update: managed to source yet another version of Vinyl drivers and there is sound in majority of games (like Heroes3 or Unreal Tournament), but no sound in others, like Moto Racer (1997). Even original Carmageddon works fine with sound.
But still no WAVs; maybe something is not right with FM synthesis.
And it crashes when trying to get into DOS mode.

Reply 1 of 1, by smoke86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:
I guess I found the culprit. I found that dxdiag reports 'general failure' in sound section. That's why I updated DX from 8.0 to version 9.0c and now almost all games have sound (except of Moto Racer).
It still crashes most of the times it reboots in dos mode.
The 'unknown device' mentioned was IRDA.
Now I'm trying to make it stretch image that is not in native 1024x768 resolution to full screen. Then I'll say it is good to go.