VOGONS

First post, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a deal on two dell at101 keyboards that was apparently too good to be true, near perfect condition, but upon further inspection when they arrived, one of them has the 5v pin snapped off the plug and the other is missing the data pin. Like completely twisted off no remnant of it left.
Almost wonder if I pissed the seller off and he took a wire cutter to it, it's clipped so flush. Anyways no hope of salvaging the plug probably, does anyone know where I could get some new male ps/2 ends to put on there? A google search failed me. Or should I just buy some other ps/2 cables, snip the ends off and splice the wires together? Sounds...unideal, but I'll do it if I have to.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! What you're looking for is a "mini DIN" connector.
The old PCs used a similar, bigger type, commonly called "DIN" connector or "diode plug" (5 pin). 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 3, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always found soldering mini-din connectors incredibly annoying, and unless you pot the connector also prone to damage. What I'd do is find a PS/2 extension, or a salvage a cable from a scrap device and depending on how your kb is made crimp a new connector on the pcb side of the cable (usually some sort of pin header) or splice the cable together in a way that the join stays hidden inside the keyboard enclosure.

Reply 3 of 3, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
andrea wrote on 2023-04-21, 05:28:

I've always found soldering mini-din connectors incredibly annoying, and unless you pot the connector also prone to damage. What I'd do is find a PS/2 extension, or a salvage a cable from a scrap device and depending on how your kb is made crimp a new connector on the pcb side of the cable (usually some sort of pin header) or splice the cable together in a way that the join stays hidden inside the keyboard enclosure.

Yeah, I just took one of them apart, I think I can splice a spare cable into the connector on the board. Just gotta pull out probe and determine what wires are what. Thanks for the idea, seems rather obvious in retrospect and a lot better than trying to frankenstein a new din on there