VOGONS

First post, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi all

I bought myself a t5170 machine and a 4gb flash card.

I followed this process to the dot how to install windows 98 se on it :

https://youtu.be/GioiRupslkU

as well all drivers. I did them in exact order as in the video.

Two issues :

1. installing the Sound driver from the driver package ( from here - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/hp-t5710.html ) tells me it could not detect right hardware to install the sound card and installation aborts. So no sound.

2. I installed the USB drivers and selected V for VIA, now when the windows starts it doesn't detect ANY of my USB devices eg keyboard and mouse so I cant do anything.

Please help ! what can I do outside of starting whole install process from scratch which was a massive pain.

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Youtube link has a driver package which includes the VIA audio plus one comment about how they got the USB to work. Did you try those ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I did, its exactly same files.

Reply 3 of 9, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have your input devices in legacy mode via bios? At least use a PS/2 keyboard if available.
I'm not sure if James and Phil are using the exact same driver packages. The Phil package includes additional USB drivers. I think I used both packages during the installation. A device remains unknown in Device Manager, but this has no effect. (PCI Bridge). Edit: I'm pretty sure I only used the VIA 4.35 package. I'm not sure about the USB drivers. Also, "Software" tells me I'm using NUSB v3.6.

I've also done the installation without an external floppy or CD-ROM. I had problems with Easy2boot, I couldn't use the Windows 98 start disk. It only worked with a DOS 6.22 boot disk.

There are more inquiries about the T5710, so we really have to collect all the information. On occasion we should compare all the drivers (versions) used.

Reply 4 of 9, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont understand why is the audio setup is not detecting the sound HW. Its enabled in bios.

I manually removed the usb drivers by plugging in a ps2 mouse and somehow after restart and automatic driver install now usb ports are working.

But sound card still no go.

Reply 5 of 9, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It might be broken. You could also test the AC97 sound under DOS with SBEMU. If it works there, the error can only be in Windows 98.

Or there was an error during installation. Windows 98 likes to cause driver problems. Incidentally, I'm also about to do a complete reinstallation, I only found 2GB of flash at the time, but I'd like 4GB. So everything from scratch, and yes, the installation is really bad.

Reply 7 of 9, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok, so the sound driver package has a folder called drivers within and there are 4 different folders within for different operating systems. There wasnt one for win98 but I tried the ME and at first it gave me errors but after few tries it accepted the driver and I am now getting the sound.

Its strange as I still cant install the driver package even though its telling me the sound is installed and working, I thought there might be some apps that come with the sound driver package but anyways, its working for now.

Reply 8 of 9, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am finding the 4GB IDE flash drive too small now to hold games and realised there is no secondary port on the board to connect any other drive so I decided to get a 44pin to CF flash adapter and will use a 64GB SD-CF card in it so whole thing will need to be reinstalled.

and yes, I also had issues with easyboot but I have a USB floppy drive which I connected to the machine and booted with MS DOS disks and created a 2GB partition, formatted it and then I used easy boot to load the win98 boot disk image (btw I had to try 3 different images to get it to boot) and then copied the win98 folder across. Was the only way to get C drive appear correctly as when booting from esayboot it would default the internal IDE flash drive to D not C . once I booted with DOS again, I could see my win98 folder on the c drive and installed the OS no issues.

Reply 9 of 9, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2023-04-30, 10:03:

Pls make screenshots of you BIOS settings and Windows device manager.

I will take this later in the week as I packed up the setup for now ...