VOGONS

First post, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Fujitsu D3128-B25 motherboard, which isn't exactly very old, but it's already ten years old.
It turned out to have a corrupt bios and some bent pins on the socket, but the pins were easy to fix.
With a CH341A programmer and I was able to program the BIOS that can be downloaded from the Fujitsu website but I learned the hard way that by completely erasing the BIOS chip you also lose the MAC of the network card and the Intel management engine firmware.
Restoring the MAC of the network card has been easy but the firmware of the Intel managent engine, I have not been able to restore it despite my attempts and my searches in google.
As a note, I have another motherboard just like it and it works fine.
The reason for wanting to restore something as useless as the management engine is that in the bios system monitor and also during the boot process an error is shown in sensor 1. I have not been able to find specific information about this sensor, in the BIOS only indicates sensor 1 error and during the boot process the boot stops.
For example, from windows with hwmonitor, it has been impossible for me to know which sensor is failing since there does not seem to be any problem.
In summary, does anyone know how to program the part of the bios that contains the management engine if it is not present, or some way to make a complete backup of the BIOS of the motherboard that works correctly by software and program it in the other one by software or with the programmer, I am only worried about using the programmer on the motherboard that works properly.

Edit, it is sensor 1 not 2, corrected.

Last edited by Hoping on 2022-10-26, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hoping wrote on 2022-10-25, 14:31:
I have a Fujitsu D3128-B25 motherboard, which isn't exactly very old, but it's already ten years old. It turned out to have a co […]
Show full quote

I have a Fujitsu D3128-B25 motherboard, which isn't exactly very old, but it's already ten years old.
It turned out to have a corrupt bios and some bent pins on the socket, but the pins were easy to fix.
With a CH341A programmer and I was able to program the BIOS that can be downloaded from the Fujitsu website but I learned the hard way that by completely erasing the BIOS chip you also lose the MAC of the network card and the Intel management engine firmware.
Restoring the MAC of the network card has been easy but the firmware of the Intel managent engine, I have not been able to restore it despite my attempts and my searches in google.
As a note, I have another motherboard just like it and it works fine.
The reason for wanting to restore something as useless as the management engine is that in the bios system monitor and also during the boot process an error is shown in sensor 2. I have not been able to find specific information about this sensor, in the BIOS only indicates sensor 2 error and during the boot process the boot stops.
For example, from windows with hwmonitor, it has been impossible for me to know which sensor is failing since there does not seem to be any problem.
In summary, does anyone know how to program the part of the bios that contains the management engine if it is not present, or some way to make a complete backup of the BIOS of the motherboard that works correctly by software and program it in the other one by software or with the programmer, I am only worried about using the programmer on the motherboard that works properly.

Are you able to extract the MEBX option rom from the other mb (is it the same model). There are a couple of ME fw updates (v8.x) listed for the board on the Fujitsu download support site but these may rely on the option rom being present in the first place

Reply 2 of 3, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The other motherboard is the same model but I don't know how to extract the MEBX option rom.
I already tried to install the firmware available on the fujitsu website but it doesn't work, possibly because there is no previous version.
My approach was to use the utilities that Fujitsu provides with their BIOS update packs to make a full backup of the BIOS of the motherboard that works well and then program it into the one that doesn't work well, and change the MAC of the card. but I can't understand them.
So I tried looking for third party utilities but no luck.
I do not have much knowledge or experience in these cases, this has been the first time that I use a programmer for a bios.

As a note, I don't trust this motherboard very much, since the CPU socket pins were pretty bad, so it's possible that it fails permanently, but I would like to learn something from this case.

Reply 3 of 3, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been quite a while, but in case someone ends up here in the future with this problem, the sensor error did have to do with the lack of the Intel Management Engine.
I put the motherboard aside in a corner and forgot about it, after messing around with an X99 motherboard that is missing the BIOS chip, I discovered the existence of the Intel FPT utility, in the case of the motherboard that is in perfect condition the FPT utility could not perform a full backup of the BIOS because a part seems to be blocked somehow but studying how the utility works I discovered that it can write only the ME part.
The latest ME version available for this motherboard is 8.1.72.3002_HF, the BIN file is obtained by unzipping the update file.
"fptw64.exe -ME -F ME8_5M_Production.bin"
After flashing the ME and a reset of the CMOS, everything works correctly and without errors.
Many people go to great lengths to disable and even erase ME, but in this case it is necessary for the full functioning of the motherboard.
And it seems that the Socket pins hold up after a long time of stress testing with Prime95.