VOGONS

First post, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have successfully used these generic drivers for Windows95 and 98 (ndis2). Could it be that all systems except NT4 are supported?

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/cate … xpress-software

Reply 2 of 3, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-06-18, 22:16:

I don't think that any NT-based OS can use real-mode network drivers like those NDIS2 drivers. Win9x, on the other hand, can use them at the expense of RAM within the first 1MB.

... Indeed. NT cannot use real-mode drivers at all. Support for especially GBe interfaces was very finite for old NT platforms, although 100Mbit (FE) interfaces were adequately supported there.

For GBe, NT4 was a bit better, but for NT3 there were almost none. I think good enough networking support only came with Windows 2000 according to the driver releases.

NDIS2 (DOS) has been supported by manufacturers for quite a while until recently. And this ironically made modern networking possible even for 9x and 3.1x, as these OSes can make use of NDIS2 drivers.

Reply 3 of 3, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-06-19, 02:24:
... Indeed. NT cannot use real-mode drivers at all. Support for especially GBe interfaces was very finite for old NT platforms, […]
Show full quote
fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-06-18, 22:16:

I don't think that any NT-based OS can use real-mode network drivers like those NDIS2 drivers. Win9x, on the other hand, can use them at the expense of RAM within the first 1MB.

... Indeed. NT cannot use real-mode drivers at all. Support for especially GBe interfaces was very finite for old NT platforms, although 100Mbit (FE) interfaces were adequately supported there.

For GBe, NT4 was a bit better, but for NT3 there were almost none. I think good enough networking support only came with Windows 2000 according to the driver releases.

NDIS2 (DOS) has been supported by manufacturers for quite a while until recently. And this ironically made modern networking possible even for 9x and 3.1x, as these OSes can make use of NDIS2 drivers.

Thanks for the explanation, in fact I solved it with a 3com etherlink PCI 😀