VOGONS

First post, by jklaiho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some Finnish guy is selling a metric buttload of old IBM hardware on a local marketplace: 21 PS/2 machines, 5 PS/1s; a mixture of desktop and tower cases, even one laptop. There's 23 displays, and IBM mice and keyboards for all of them. All have been retired from use at least 20 years ago, and somehow have survived until now, probably held in a storeroom of a large office somewhere. The lot looks very clean and neat based on the pictures provided, which would make sense in a single owner corporate scenario.

The asking price is 3,000 euros, but the seller requires a purchase of the whole set, including picking them up and transporting them away, which will require a large van and a not-insignificant amount of padding and protection. All in all, a huge undertaking. No way to tell beforehand how many devices are still in working order.

Generally speaking, is this hardware in any demand among collectors? I could just barely arrange warm, dry storage for the whole lot, temporarily. I'd only hold on to a few of these myself, and try to sell the rest. International shipping is prohibitively expensive, so basically I'd be reliant on domestic buyers—a niche group in a niche nation of 5.5 million people... MAYBE some particularly enthusiastic Swedish, Estonian or Russian buyers might make the journey to pick some up.

Thoughts? Am I crazy for even considering this?

Reply 1 of 4, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the videos I have seen on youtube about them, they die of 2 causes:
- leaking battery which destroys the PCB
- Exploding tantalum capcitors (the orange ones), which is repairable

I have the same « problem » as you in Switzerland, have 3-4 of them around me but who cares about them once you need to transport them…

But they are classical machines and there will always be some geek interested in one if you have time to store and sell them slowly.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 2 of 4, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe if they really are in very good condition

i think you could eventually sell them one by one and even make a 'profit' (maybe not really because you are not adding your time, travel, maintenance, storage etc like a business would)

but it wouldn't be guaranteed, not at all. You'd have to be prepared to have them for years and / or let them go for less total than spent. it is a bit of gamble

unless you managed to start yet another round of youtube channel interest in "hey guys i recently found this ps/1" videos, sometimes i think yotube/social media "creators" collectively form an actual notable % of the global market for rarer stuff 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the same genre, I’m sitting on some Athlon MP systems (mobo/cpu/ram/coolers) I bought just to save them, but that’s just it…I’m never going to make money of this and it’s not the purpose. I want them in the hands of interested people. These IBM systems are the same.

So do you have a soul or are you cruel and will let them die? 😂

Shipping is always the problem once you want to sell outside your country.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 4 of 4, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My gut feeling is that unless you have i / huge amounts of free time or ii / sales / storage / fulfilment infrastructure in an established business, I would not do it. In order to make it worthwhile, you should sell it for 2x - 3x purchase cost.