VOGONS

First post, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw this weird and interesting board on eBay for 120€ and just had to get it.
I have a thing for obscure old hardware - as most of you people here probably do, too. 😀

x7qc3-top_lowres.jpg
Filename
x7qc3-top_lowres.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File comment
Supermicro X7QC3 top view
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Isn't this a beauty? This board can take four Xeon X7460 CPU's (the first 6-core CPU's Intel made).
It can also take up to 192GB of DDR2 FBDIMMs and thanks to the one PCIe 16x port (running at 8x) it might even run a modern GPU, like an RTX3060, for example.

First of all: This will be an ongoing build thread. I have no prior experience with socket 604 and if you continue to read this, it will be very obvious why.
I already made quite a few mistakes (all non-fatal, though). At the moment, I'm not able to fully run this board in a stable manner.

Maybe you can help me out with some of my struggles. 😊

The CPU
This was a decision that was very easy to make. Xeon X7460's are the most powerful processors you can run on this board and they are easily available and affordable. I got four Xeons for 60€ in total. I guess people aren't interested in these, because they need the Intel 7300 "Clarksboro" chipset and there are only a handful of boards ever made with this chipset. On eBay I only found proprietary boards from Fujitsu and HP that weren't sold individually back then. If I'm correct, only Supermicro made boards that you were able to get without buying a whole server.

Power Supply
The board uses a standard 24pin ATX connector and two 8pin CPU power connectors. Luckily, I already had a Corsair RM1200x power supply at hand that comes with all of the neccessary cables. This should be enough to power all four CPUs and a modern graphics card.

Memory

Getting the memory for this board is not a problem at all. 8GB DDR2 FBDIMMS are extremely cheap. You can get a 64GB kit for a few bucks on eBay and since there are only a handful of manufacturers that made these, it will always be good-quality RAM.

8gb_ddr2_fbdimm.jpg
Filename
8gb_ddr2_fbdimm.jpg
File size
1008 KiB
Views
File comment
8GB DDR2 FBDIMMs
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Cooling it down is a whole other thing, though. These sticks get very hot. I had the board running for two minutes with two big 80mm fans on top of the sticks and I still burned my finger when touching one of them (guess I should've read the stickers).

Skorbin already warned me about this:

Skorbin wrote on 2023-06-22, 10:44:

I rather expect the system to get noisy, because DDR2 FBDIMM tends to get rather hot and needs a lot of cooling.

This is a problem I need to solve and I'm not sure how at the moment. I need fans with high throughput to adequately cool these sticks down, but I can't just use Dynatron server fans because these are way too loud and my neighbors will probably kill me if I tried that. If you have any suggestion for high-throughput fans that aren't too loud, I'm very happy to hear them!

CPU coolers
Getting CPU coolers is another very big problem. Socket 604 coolers are intended to be screwed onto the chassis. I don't have a chassis for this board, though. It's way too big to even fit into my biggest E-ATX case and I'm already a bit of a hoarder, so getting a chassis is out of the question. Supermicro also made the weird decision to not use standard Socket 604 through holes. They made the holes much wider and sold individual backplanes for the regular standoffs (their part number is "BKT-0021L").

As an interim solution I got Fujitsu Primergy TX200 coolers. They are easily available. Primergy S2 coolers are Socket 604, Primergy S3 coolers are Socket 771 (but can be used in a "normal" 604 board by filing down the posts by a few milimeters). I was able to screw one of them onto the little sheet metal bracket on the underside of the board with some nuts. Notice the capacitors on the edge of the cooler? I had to file the cooler down a bit so it wouldn't make contact with it.

socket-604-mounting-kit.jpg
Filename
socket-604-mounting-kit.jpg
File size
342.98 KiB
Views
File comment
Supermicro Socket 604 nut mounting kit
File license
CC-BY-4.0
tx200-cooler-temporary-mount.jpg
Filename
tx200-cooler-temporary-mount.jpg
File size
827.51 KiB
Views
File comment
Temporary mounting solution
File license
CC-BY-4.0

That's when I made a few mistakes:
This ghetto-solution works, but it clamps the cooler down on the CPU with way too much force. I need to get these BKT-0021L brackets somewhere to do this properly or find another solution.
Also: The Primergy coolers are a bit too wide. So now I need to find at least two other small-sized coolers because I can't fit the Primergys right next to each other:

tx200-cooler-mistake.jpg
Filename
tx200-cooler-mistake.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File comment
Primergy TX200 cooler mistake
File license
CC-BY-4.0

All of these parts are pretty expensive. I found some shops for the brackets with ~60$ each. On top of that, I need to get small-sized socket 604 coolers which aren't that readily available in Europe, so I might have to pay the actual price + shipping from the US + tax. I'm sure I'll eventually solve this problem, but it will take some time.

Ground plane / Mounting the board
At the moment, I'm running this board on two old books. That's not an ideal solution and I want to put it on some kind of ground plane. I don't have a workshop to build something out of metal, so my idea would be a big plexiglass block where I can screw it onto. Just like Linus did on his last video.

Still need to research where to get a big block like this and how much it would cost. A block with the appropriate size costs around 220€ here in Germany. I think I can work with that.

First test run
Despite all of these struggles I was able to do a first test run. The board is fine (you never know with eBay) and it POSTs into the BIOS, which makes me very happy.
I will do further tests when I have the memory cooling problem solved and at least one CPU properly mounted to the board, because I really don't want to damage this gem.

first-test-run-150x150.jpg
first-test-run-bios-1-150x150.jpg
first-test-run-bios-2-150x150.jpg
Happy to hear your feedback! 😄

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 1 of 16, by mscdex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2023-06-25, 12:20:

This is a problem I need to solve and I'm not sure how at the moment. I need fans with high throughput to adequately cool these sticks down, but I can't just use Dynatron server fans because these are way too loud and my neighbors will probably kill me if I tried that. If you have any suggestion for high-throughput fans that aren't too loud, I'm very happy to hear them!

I have a dual 771-based Supermicro board with the same type of RAM and encountered the same problem with heat. For what it's worth about the only ("retail") solution I've seen (but haven't tried myself yet) that I just found recently was a dual 60mm RAM cooler that attaches itself to the RAM socket clips. It's marketed under the brand name "Alseye" and seems to be pretty readily available. Later on I found someone who ended up flipping the placement of the fans on that cooler so that the fans would be closer to the RAM, which seemed to improve the RAM cooling, so that might be something to consider if you end up trying this kind of solution (along with using better 60mm fans than what the cooler probably comes with).

Reply 2 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weirdly fascinating old beasts aren't they - I have a couple of 4P SM boards / systems for AMD Opterons...an H8QC8 and an H8QGL-6F...lying unused in a dark corner 🙁

Excellent work so far, and also...

- the later S604 boards from all makers had these wider holes to support the change in heatsink mounting design for later Xeon family TDP / dimensions (certainly from Nocona onwards: maybe even earlier) and included the CEK spring backplate and invariably a need to mount thru to the chassis, either built-in or by add-on screwhole plates. Definitely get some type of rigid screwable backboard to use asap.

- most 604 / 771 coolers are designed for enclosed airflow and can now be difficult to source and / or rather noisy (x4 !!) - I'd suggest looking at modding standard active tower coolers or, more specifically, their mounting brackets. Because of the layout of the sockets, I'd suggest the old Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as a good starting place (you'll need a good supply of various sized nuts & bolts for the job)

- I never had to deal with them on my 4Ps, but FBDIMM are just hot sods - seems mainly about direction and volume of (again) airflow set against acceptable dBs - some trial and error incoming

- suspect no case other than SMs own 2U / 4U & tower will accomodate this beast, and I thought I had it bad trying to shoehorn their 4P SWTX boards into non-SM standard towers.

Oh, and keep us posted please 😀

Reply 4 of 16, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the form factor is completely custom. Supermicro made their own version of the WTX standard (SWTX) but this board is even bigger than that.
SWTX goes up to 457 × 330 mm. This board is 406 x 363 mm.

The board's manual even states the form factor is "Proprietary".

Screenshot 2023-06-26 193824.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-06-26 193824.png
File size
9.98 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 16, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a recent owner of a dual socket 604 board.
Older one (dual Gallatin Xeon + AGP)
Fortunately, the board came with the coolers.

IMG_20230524_180421.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230524_180421.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What about water-cooling these 4 CPUs ?

You may have issues with modern PCIe GPUs as some needs an UEFI compatible motherboard. And old PCIe (1.0 and 2.0) probably lacks the bandwidth to give the maximum performances.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 6 of 16, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-06-26, 18:00:

What about water-cooling these 4 CPUs ?

Yes, yes and a million times yes! It will be a big challenge though, but I can only guess how sexy a quad socket water cooled rig would look ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 7 of 16, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't this a beauty? This board can take four Xeon X7460 CPU's (the first 6-core CPU's Intel made).

That article implies that the L3 cache is half speed? Is it just something unknown early or is it actually that way?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 9 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't realize how hot the FBDIMM can go. Good thing I didn't have any that needs FBDIMMs. I reused heat spreaders from these to other registered dimms as this was cheaper and easier to get.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 16, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2023-06-28, 04:51:

That appears to be a Tyan Tiger I7505 (S2668AN)

Yes it is

I have a thing for obscure old hardware - as most of you people here probably do, too. 😀

Very curious about this ATi ES1000 graphics chip. It seems to be a Rage5 derivative.

There is also a slot for an IPMI module. For remote management. Cools stuff if you can find one.

Reply 11 of 16, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a different Supermicro board with one of those IPMI sockets, and after years of watching eBay was finally able to obtain the module.

It takes over the first Ethernet port, which becomes a dedicated IPMI port, so you must connect both ports to the network to use it. It lets you do all the usual management/monitoring stuff, though I couldn't get text console to work, or else it's read-only by design, so you can't remotely enter the BIOS and change settings, just watch the POST messages scroll by.

One big problem however is that it drains the motherboard's battery when the computer is disconnected from from the wall. I now have to replace the battery every time I take the computer out of storage. Very annoying. I'm probably going to take the IPMI card out because of this.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 16, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The socket for the IPMI module seems to be a standard miniPCI port. I wonder if you can put anything else in it.
But probably not, if it's directly connected to the Ethernet ports...

The board is now on theretroweb, including the driver CD:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/supermicro-x7qc3

Very curious about this ATi ES1000 graphics chip. It seems to be a Rage5 derivative.

Techpowerup states it is based on the Rage6 line, which falls in the same category as Radeon 7000, 7200 etc.

I will test if this chip supports TnL or if it's a very barebones Radeon VE equivalent.

Reply 13 of 16, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Little bit of an update:

The overheating memory problem has been solved now.
I got myself two "Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM" fans.

They are both 140mm and push a ton of air, while not being too noisy:

BURST20230705211235299_COVER.jpg
Filename
BURST20230705211235299_COVER.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The memory can now be touched without burning my finger, so that's a success!

With that problem out of my way, I can finally test some software. First, I've updated to the latest beta BIOS (the files are dated 2016, but it's actually from 2012).
I couldn't believe my ears: The memory fans are running faster on that BIOS! It seems like they run at ~80% by default.
On the latest beta BIOS they make them rev up to 100% as soon as the boot screen appears. That means I can run the Noctua's at 80% and still be able to cool down the memory properly, wish I had known that before...

I've also ordered four socket 604 backplates at Supermicro's polish store (supermicro.com.pl). I made a request, they quoted me for 60€ and then told me "You will be informed when the order will be completed.". That's not a definite "We still have those super-old parts" because they might still refund me if they don't find them, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

So, still running on only one CPU for now.

I've tried running Windows 11. The OS runs fine, but it crashes with a bluescreen if I try to install the ATI ES1000 driver for Windows Server 2008.
I'll have to the test the capabilities of that chip on an older OS.

Reply 14 of 16, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting the ATI ES1000 to run was pretty tricky. I've now installed Windows Server 2003.

Turns out that ATI disabled DirectDraw and Direct3D support in their official drivers, it's simply not available and greyed out in dxdiag.
According to this post in xbitlabs a user was able to edit the drivers .inf file and put the registry keys for "DisableD3D" and "DisableDirectDraw" from 1 to 0.

I tried that, it didn't work, at least not with the driver shipped on the Supermicro install CD.

But another user on overclock.net made a modded driver by merging parts from Catalyst 6.11 with the ES1000 driver.

That makes the tests in dxdiag pass.
3DMark 2001 is not very happy, but I suspect that's either due too the massive amount of RAM in the system or the fact that it's running Windows Server 2003.

3dmark-error.PNG
Filename
3dmark-error.PNG
File size
3.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Unreal Tournament 99 runs very smoothly and detects the card as a regular D3D device.

ut99-es1000.PNG
Filename
ut99-es1000.PNG
File size
51.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Since I cannot run 3DMark 2001 and its System Info to check if the ATI chip can handle TnL, I opted to install the game "TRON 2.0" - because I remembered it needs Hardware TnL and performs a check for it on launch:

es1000-hardware-tnl.PNG
Filename
es1000-hardware-tnl.PNG
File size
2.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There you have it, the ATI ES1000 is indeed a Radeon 7000/VE equivalent without TnL.

Reply 15 of 16, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2023-07-05, 21:55:

3DMark 2001 is not very happy, but I suspect that's either due too the massive amount of RAM in the system or the fact that it's running Windows Server 2003.
3dmark-error.PNG

I get that error too on some systems ... Don't remember which, but it usually runs anyways ...

Reply 16 of 16, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2023-07-05, 21:55:

There you have it, the ATI ES1000 is indeed a Radeon 7000/VE equivalent without TnL.

I never experienced games/apps that required hardware TnL.

I suspected that this existed because late Kyro II drivers allow the user to lie and fake the presence of hardware TnL.

I really don't know why some games required that. Because a powerful CPU can replace hardware TnL.

I've actually tested HL2 with a Radeon VE and it's very playable... With a decent CPU (Athlon64 3200+)