VOGONS

First post, by Ronin64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I’m just starting to learn about retro computers and bought a old Windows XP machine. I want to get Windows 98 running on it but I’m having a couple problems.
Here are the specs….
CPU - Athlon 64 LE-1640
Motherboard- Asus m2n68-am se2
Ram - 2GB Kingston
IDE Hard Drive
LG Sata DVD Drive
No GPU

I have Windows 98 SE installed with the help of a YouTube video that showed me how to limit the max amount of ram. I have the usb drivers working again thanks to the YouTube video. I also got the DVD drive working after changing some bios settings, the PC would not boot without changing them.
The problem is I have no drivers for sound or graphics. I’m not sure the what audio chipset is in the motherboard, as I’ve be mostly focused on graphics. The graphics chipset is GeForce 7025/nforce 630a and after looking for drivers for this chipset it seems there was no official Windows 98 support.
So, can anyone point me towards some drivers that will work? Is it possible that I could get a pci sound card and a pci-e gpu, with drivers for Windows 98, to get this machine up and running proper? Or is there no hope because without the motherboard drivers the expansion slots won’t work?
Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 3, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dunno, just googling turns this up: https://toogam.com/software/archive/drivers/v … fici/nv8269.php

Use HWINFO to discover which audio chip you have. Probably some Realtek thing.

Actually, googling the motherboard leads to this: Realtek ALC662

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 3, by Ronin64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-06-29, 16:13:

I dunno, just googling turns this up: https://toogam.com/software/archive/drivers/v … fici/nv8269.php

Use HWINFO to discover which audio chip you have. Probably some Realtek thing.

Actually, googling the motherboard leads to this: Realtek ALC662

The link for the Nvidia drivers was dead but I found it elsewhere. I tied installing them and when I did it said the detected hardware was a Nvidia MCP61. I said ok and installed the driver, clicked reboot, and then got a Windows protection error on restart. I pressed the reset button on the tower and then Windows booted but I still could not change and resolution or color settings. Am I doing something worng?

Reply 3 of 3, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asus M2N68-AM SE2 was designed in 2008/9; the MB, its on-board graphics, and sound chips were way too new for Win98SE. I wouldn't say completely impossible, but running Win98SE on it with working graphics and sound requires lots of tweaking and a really lucky day.